Lamenters Veteran Seargeant

Just to show that I have been working on some stuff during my abscence, I thought I'd share a couple of photos of this WIP standalone mini with everyone:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/DSCN2933.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/DSCN2932.jpg

After reading through part one of IA9 I decided to have a go at painting a marine from the Lamenters chapter and having this mini lying around at the time he was 'nominated' to be my victim. There are tons of ways of painting yellow out there, but after looking at the illustrations in the IA book I wanted to try something a bit different, so I decided that I would shade the yellow with grey and see what happened. The pictures you see above are the result. I also thought I'd try some (admittedly very basic) battle damage out on this marine as well.

There's still quite a few details to finish up on this mini but I'd love to know what people think though, so please feel free to leave c&c

thanks

James

First off, glad to see you're back. I've had a lot of family problems too and it's great that the hobby give's us some sort of outlet.

I've been painting the odd Lamenter too recently (i'll get some pics posted sometime) and I've been highlighting yellow with Dheneb Stone. It works quite well and adds an almost dusty look to the model.

Still got to come up with a method for painting those damn checks though...........

Thanks Lestat, I'd quite like to see some of your Lamenters. Yeah this hobby is really good for providing an outlet/escape from other less pleasant things. I've been using Dheneb Stone quite a bit lately too, mostly for building up bone and stone colours, however I'm inclined to try it with yellow now that you've mentioned it.

The iconography is one of the things I've been trying to figure out with this guy, (although I have figured out an easy way of doing the heart using xenos decal sheets). I want to use checks on his left shoulder, but I've yet to work up the courage to do so....

James

Thanks Lestat, I'd quite like to see some of your Lamenters. Yeah this hobby is really good for providing an outlet/escape from other less pleasant things. I've been using Dheneb Stone quite a bit lately too, mostly for building up bone and stone colours, however I'm inclined to try it with yellow now that you've mentioned it.

The iconography is one of the things I've been trying to figure out with this guy, (although I have figured out an easy way of doing the heart using xenos decal sheets). I want to use checks on his left shoulder, but I've yet to work up the courage to do so....

James

You know, I hadn't thought of using some Xenos decals. Mmmmmm........my brother just so happens to be an Ulthwé player so it might be time to raid his bitz box.

Thanks for the comments guys, Xavier, it feels good to be back. Checks are coming when I work up the will to paint them :tu:.

Ussell, the last few IA books have been a vast improvement on the first few. (I don't have all of them, only Badab part 1 but I steal the others off of my brother when I fancy reading them) They are well worth reading through and the exploration of lesser known Astartes chapters in the Badab ones is a great too.

James

Nice to see you back again James B) I hope all is fine and that things are back on track again.

Nothing really much to say about the model though I'm afraid. Looks unfinished, 'specially the gems. May just be the lighting though. One thing I do like though is the yellow. Any chance of a list of magical ingredients? :)

Ludovic

The recipe for the yellow is a nice easy one Battle-Brother Ludovic,

Basecoat with Iyanden Darksun

Wash fairly heavily with watered down Adeptus Battlegrey

Tidy up with more Iyanden Darksun

Harsh highlight with Golden Yellow

Harsh highlight of Golden Yellow/Skull White (mixed to taste but roughly 50/50 should do it)

Glaze with Adeptus Battlegrey to tie everything together

Glaze with Scorched Brown to tinge the yellow a little darker

an that's it!

As for this mini, yeah the gems could use a little more work, they're highlighted up so I just need to sort out the shading on them. Must remember to finish the skull on the back of his left hand as well. And the wax parts of the purity seals :)

James

Welcome back, glad to see you and not just with one WIP but TWO!

Just wondering what exactly you mean by a Harsh Highlight? Also, how would you go about glazing... ultra thin, almost wash then leak out most of the water onto a paper towel before applying the paint?

Thanks mate, I should hopefully have a couple of more pieces up soon as well ;).

When I say harsh highlight I mean to only catch the very edges of objects, generally the upper surfaces, depending on where your light source is going to be. You're almost right with glazing; you basically want to water the paint down so that it's more water than anything else. If you can see your pallette/mixing tray through it you're about right (it's something you can really only judge by eye). The aim is for it to tint the paintwork it's going over rather than cover it. You'll generally be using it to blend the previous layers together, or to add colour to an area.

hope that helps

James

The recipe for the yellow is a nice easy one Battle-Brother Ludovic,

Basecoat with Iyanden Darksun

Wash fairly heavily with watered down Adeptus Battlegrey

Tidy up with more Iyanden Darksun

Harsh highlight with Golden Yellow

Harsh highlight of Golden Yellow/Skull White (mixed to taste but roughly 50/50 should do it)

Glaze with Adeptus Battlegrey to tie everything together

Glaze with Scorched Brown to tinge the yellow a little darker

an that's it!

As for this mini, yeah the gems could use a little more work, they're highlighted up so I just need to sort out the shading on them. Must remember to finish the skull on the back of his left hand as well. And the wax parts of the purity seals :jaw:

James

Interesting recipe there James. I work up from a black undercoat when painting yellow - which goes completely against the grain. I'm going to give the grey a go though and see what I can achieve.

It's great to learn from other peoples methods and techniques - even when I'm 28 and been doing this gig for nearly 2 decades!

Archived