Mephistons base size

vharing

I was wondering what all you guys figured Mephy's base size should be. I have seen a few with a infantry base and I have seen a few with a termi sized base. I bought my model when back in the dark days of 3rd Ed. before he was less awesome. With the stats he has now I would say a termi base is almost required, but I am not sure how that would go for GW sanctioned tournaments.

Edit: Just looked at the GW site and they are still selling him with a 25mm base.

Manipulation of base sizes is pretty frowned upon. Even if you are just trying to make your model look better because its a custom one and is larger then normal, or because you want to put the Lord of Death on a particularly scenic base as he is deserving of stuff, you may get accused of trying to cheat by changing the base size. Your best bet is to always keep a mini on the same size base as it came with. I am still torn on whether I should move all of my old terminators to the larger bases. On one hand they came on those bases, on the other hand the current terminators come on a larger base. The problem is changes in base size affect how many units can engage them in close combat and can alter the course of combat, especially when dealing with powerful close combat units. In a friendly game, go with what you want, for anything GW sanctioned, like Seahawk said, use what it came with.

He's a daemon prince, so he should be on a 60mm,

:) Thats a good one. You could argue stuff like a C'Tan should really be on something massive large too of course that would just make them silly good. (They might stop falling over too)

... he's supplied with a 25mm base so he has to be on a 25mm.

I'm not aware of any rule saying a model has to be on the base it comes with anymore. That was 4th ed. They scrapped all that in 5th ed.

I have been to tournaments with models on larger base sizes - namely converted broadside battle suits on 60mm bases - and no one cared at all. This was at the Throne of Skulls tournaments.

I'm not aware of any rule saying a model has to be on the base it comes with anymore. That was 4th ed. They scrapped all that in 5th ed.

I have been to tournaments with models on larger base sizes - namely converted broadside battle suits on 60mm bases - and no one cared at all. This was at the Throne of Skulls tournaments.

The rule says has to be on the same size now unless approval is gotten prior to the game. page uh.. I want to say 8 but thats probably wrong. Its right in the front there.

God I wish this was true. Seth on a Dreadnaught base anyone.... ;)

yea the rule book says base supplied unless you get opponents permision. sticking seth on anything bigger to gain a benifit is just rude and i wouldnt play such a player. at most whirlwind of gore hits 6 models! as for mephy, he looks cooler on larger so i just made his bases interchangeable...

I play with almost all my Characters on big bases, but understand that in tournaments they can be funny about those kind of things- especially State side. I've remodeled my minis in anticipation for my USA tour.

My seth is on a 40mm base - but then again everyone from sargent upwards gets a larger base and a name. He can hit max 6 models in a turn. No-one has ever had a problem with that.

My Mephiston uses the Inquisitor Karamazov model (minus the mega-melta, plus a dreadnaught sized jetpack). He is on a 60mm base of course. I think the fluff for mephiston is crap, so I'd rather have an inquisitor on a war-throne instead.

I run all my characters on 25 mm bases, with the exception of my Chaos Sorcerer on Disk of Tzeentch. Mephiston is the only one where 25 mm seems too small.

I'm not really sure why people seem to think 25mm is too small for Mephiston. The model is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a large one. If anything, it looks rather small next to some of the more recent sculpts.

Very true. He looks perfectly fine on the base, being slightly smaller than many other current sculpts.

I'm not aware of any rule saying a model has to be on the base it comes with anymore. That was 4th ed.
The 4th edition rule was "Base supplied or larger is acceptable." Now it's simply "the base supplied" as it says on page 3.

Shouldn't encourage this rumour
Haha, why not? His fluff vaguely supports it and his stat-line definitely supports it B). Doesn't mean I don't like using him...my Blood Angels love their daemonic death lord...I mean Lord of Death...:P

As we old blue players hate the new fluff, as we old red players hate the new fluff too (it's all Wardian plop). Of course he's a Vampire Lord that's beaten his curse through sheer epic willpower...somebody decided to throw it all out and make it so much less epic.

As we old blue players hate the new fluff, as we old red players hate the new fluff too (it's all Wardian plop). Of course he's a Vampire Lord that's beaten his curse through sheer epic willpower tower collapse...somebody decided to throw it all out and make it so much less epic.

Fixed ^_^

It doesnt realy matter if you put Mephi on a bigger base, as far as i know he doesnt have a rule that allows him to strike anyone in basecontact like some characters do, like in Seths case. Suplied with a 25 mm base the max you get against me from him is 6 no funny bussines my brb is hardcover.

I have done a Mephy conversion and have him on a 25mm base to save confusion and accusations :) , its a shame as he is crying out for a bigger one as I spent quite a bit of time on the model and he stands slightly taller than your average marine but figure that I would like to use him in tourni's in the future so ho hum....

I put mine on a display base which is I think 50mm, with a 25mm removable insert for gaming. Looks awesome for display and won't run into problems in game (when I finally paint and play with him). The 25mm part has a large elevated rock really makes him look imposing. I don't have a pic to hand of the model on the base, but the base is this one:

http://www.darkartstore.darkartminiatures....-base-50mm.html

I run all my SC's/hq's on 40mm bases, and play in tournaments frequently, and have never had an issue. I do it to make them stand out and look better, not for any bonuses. I could see how someone could be a phallus gobbler, but in my experience, i have never even had anyone come close to trying to call me out for it. Maybe different in other places, dunno

Archived