Bigger Death Company

Seva

The conversion looks good, but I'm mystified by this true scale thing that's taken the modeling side by storm over the last few years. The problem I see with it is that your marines look too bulky now. I'm having a hard time imagining this guy running flat out and being assault-y with legs so thick they would rub together all the way down to his knees.

Again, the conversion work is incredible and I applaud your modeling skills, but I think you've tipped the scale too far in the other direction now.

*edit*

So should I highlight the black more?

I think a bit stronger highlight would work. With the red as bright as it is, viewing the mini from more than a foot away, you may lose some of the detail in the deep black areas. It would probably help the red "pop" more, also.

I can see what you mean about the legs being thick and bulky and they are to be certain. I was however going for this look. I think the reason truescale has caught on is the fact that the regular marines aren't big enough. I also think to some, true scaling makes their marines look more epic. At least for me it does. For me a bigger marine looks more menacing and brutal. I may have gone too far I will give you that and thank you for the criticism. I am going to try another true scale method using stock GW marines. Sioka and Lamenter do some really good truescale work. I am aspiring to ape their creations.

Still in a quandary about the black though, such a tough color to get exactly how I want it.

I feel ya on the black armor thing. My first marine army was Blood Angels and I really had a hard time getting the DC guys to look good. Then a friend wanted to pay me to paint his Templar's army. :rolleyes:

You might try the Coal Black color from the P3 line. I'm slowly getting out of Warmachine and Hordes, but I love their paints and Coal Black is one of my new favorites, especially for highlighting black. If you've never seen the color, the name is a bit misleading as it's almost like a dark turquoise color with a bit more green it. I usually mix it 50/50 with my black color for the first highlight and progressively add more to it for successive highlights. For me, it's a LOT easier to get a nice looking highlight with that than grey or blue colors.

As for my constructive criticism, I hope it didn't sound too harsh. I grew up around art(grandmother, 2 aunts, and sister all doing) and doing my own, so I got some thick skin about it, and came to welcome it because it helped me to improve. Not everyone feels the same way, so I don't do it much.

I'm working on some Grey Knights(bandwagon? what?), and I hope to have some WIP pics of up on here soon, so feel free to return the favor. :)

I feel ya on the black armor thing. My first marine army was Blood Angels and I really had a hard time getting the DC guys to look good. Then a friend wanted to pay me to paint his Templar's army. :)

You might try the Coal Black color from the P3 line. I'm slowly getting out of Warmachine and Hordes, but I love their paints and Coal Black is one of my new favorites, especially for highlighting black. If you've never seen the color, the name is a bit misleading as it's almost like a dark turquoise color with a bit more green it. I usually mix it 50/50 with my black color for the first highlight and progressively add more to it for successive highlights. For me, it's a LOT easier to get a nice looking highlight with that than grey or blue colors.

As for my constructive criticism, I hope it didn't sound too harsh. I grew up around art(grandmother, 2 aunts, and sister all doing) and doing my own, so I got some thick skin about it, and came to welcome it because it helped me to improve. Not everyone feels the same way, so I don't do it much.

I'm working on some Grey Knights(bandwagon? what?), and I hope to have some WIP pics of up on here soon, so feel free to return the favor. :lol:

I didn't take the criticism harshly at all. I welcome all opinions. Constructive criticism makes for better models in the end. No worries.

Archived