Vanguard Veterans

The DeathJester

I hate to toot my own horn, but it made me smile how much I was quoted in both of those threads, and I only appeared in one of them.

Maybe it's, um, time for me to try another unit. @_@

In summary, here's the formula:

- A model never gets more than one upgrade; it gets ONE of the following: Power Fist, Single Lighting Claw/Power Weapon, Storm Shield

- For each model in the unit that has a weapon upgrade, have at least one model without a weapon upgrade.

- Take at least one power fist.

- Take at least one storm shield.

- Shoot for 6-8 models.

- Give them wheels, not jump packs.

- Do NOT use HI with them (unless you are BA...and even then, just give them wheels).

Here are some samples:

- vet with PF, 2 vets with single LCs, vet with SS, 4 vanilla vets

- 4 vets with LCs, vet with SS, 3 vanilla vets

- 1 vet with PF, 7 vanilla vets

- 10 vanilla vets

The last one is a favorite surprise of mine, because 40 vanilla face punches will ruin an assault terminator teams day. Add chaplain and you're allowed to spell out "LOL" as they charge the terminators.

Thade, what do you think about a relic blade on the Sergeant? Or would you prefer the thunder hammer/power fist for the points discount, and rely on the relic blade from a HQ choice (if you're playing C:SM that is)?

Must admit I like you're set ups, and I'm tempted to try something similar, either on a Vanguard squad or my Command squad, but given the fact that any Vet can get a power fist, while on Captains, Chapter Masters and the Vanguard Sergeant can get a relic blade it would be a good place to pick it up.

Back when I used the vanilla dex, I ran a Relic Blade on the sergeant a great deal. It's nice anti-infantry and hard to get them in your list otherwise (other than the vanilla Vanguard Sergeant, I think the only ways to get them are Honor Guard and Captain/Chapter Master). What's nice is you can still get a PF in the mix too if you want. I have nothing against it. It never dazzled me, but it looks cool and it's fun.

I never ran a melee-centric command squad because I never felt I could make it large enough to soak the kind of damage that a melee squad is going to take; it's not large enough to really fit with my formula. One guy with a fist, one guy with a claw, one guy with a shield, bolt pistol/chainsword vet, apothecary. Really with a unit that small you want to hit whatever you are charging at harder on the charge as a way of minimizing the potential return attacks. I4 is pretty typical though, so they're going to take the full brunt of it almost always when they charge; they WILL take losses.

That said, this is less of an issue if their goal is to counter-charge (i.e. a tactical squad is charged or charges in with them) then you might get away with the lack of ablative wounds. I've never tried them - or HG - really; I see too much value in ablative wounds to eschew them. Just my opinion though. Real reason I never painted up an HG is I changed the codex I'm using (to BA) last year.

Thanks for the quick reply Thade, as helpful as usual :).

I would be very tempted to try out a Vanguard squad with a relic blade, thunder hammer and a couple of lightning claws and a couple of storm shields, but that would less left over bodies and more points spent on them. Maybe in a Rhino.

And the Command squad wouldn't be for serious gaming, I use my quad plasma then. No, that's when I feel like being more fluffy but still want them to do something. At the moment it's thunder hammer, CC and close combat weapons. Would add a lightning claw and a storm shield to make it better I think. However, I would rate Vanguard as better for the same reason as you do, more wounds. FnP don't mean nothing when you're being hit with power weapons, but superior numbers do.

Archived