Sons of Orar, 2.0

verpine

Unhappy with this mini, I decided to try another technique for painting red. I also decided to paint the helmet white. Less talk, more pics.

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/2301/p3060686.jpg

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/3125/p3060685.jpg

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/1432/p3060684.jpg

Give me C&C and I will love you forever.

also, i know, horrible mold lines, sorry...

edit: wow, it looks a lot better in real life.

It dosn't look too bad really.

I love the arrow on his shoulder pad....very nice! Even has a nice bit of subtle highlighting on there.

Despite being a bit thick in places your white recipe looks alright.

Am I right in thinking you're starting from Denheb (sp?) stone or some other form of beige?

My suggestion for the white would be to either spray the white parts white seperatly

or

Start from astronomican grey and add white as you progress through layers

or

Paint the white parts light grey seperatly and spray with white spray paint from above.

This can produce an nice graident effect if done correctly, with some natural shadows (basically where the paint can't reach)

The red is alot more smooth application wise, but is the colour consictency is quite patchy

I'd suggest something for this....but first I'd like to hear how you are currently painting it/what kinda of red you want to achieve

Keep working man, practise makes perfect

Thanks DarKHaZZ13.

The white is started with Adeptus battlegrey (which is pretty dark) and then worked up to skull white, then Devlan mud wash, then more white. Takes way too many layers. I think i'll buy some astronomican gray and start with that and work up to skull white.

For the red, the pictures don't show it well at all, but I painted battle wear on like this (scroll down a tiny bit), but adapted to the paints I had. It doesn't look bad, but in these pics... man...

Ahh the devlan mud is making is the beige bit then...

Personally I've stopped washing white (unless I start white) as it takes too many layers to even out.

If you do layers of light grey, gradually getting lighter, whilst leaving the 'shaded bits' in the previous layer you shouldn't have to worry about shading/washing

I'd love to put up a picture....but I suffer from a lack of camera.

But essentially you're going for a gradient effect like this:

gallery_33843_5272_8540.jpg

I see what you were going for with the red if it makes you feel better :lol:

But that technique for making a weathered effect looks so difficult.

I'd try something a little more simple (But then again I'm rubbish at the weatherd look :P)

there are loads out there...

check the request tutotial thread as it usually has some good ones in there...and if you're still stuck you can always ask for help here

I had a quick look round to see what I could find...so...enjoy?

This is a nice quick version of red.

CoolMiniorNot - Red+ battle damage (probably abit orange tbh).

Brush Thralls - Painting White

The Painting Corps - Battle Damage on Vehicles (similar prinicple can be used on mairnes)

One thing I've found painting white, it's a lot easier (for me at least) to shade than it is to highlight. Forget starting with grays or browns, or using washes. Start with white, get a nice even coat with a few layers of your white paint of choice. It will be very thin and you won't get that lumpy texture from building layer upon layer. Most of the color from those lower layers will be obscured anyway, so why clutter up detail with all that paint? Then, using very thin medium gray (I use VGC stonewall gray for my darkest shade, citadel equivalent fortress gray), paint the most obscured and dark places, layering/glazing up through lighter grays to white. There's no reason to base an entire area in a color other than white if it is going to end up white. Also, it doesn't take much color at all to shade white, and you can glaze back and forth light and dark until you get shading that you like. Instead of trying to leave a clean line (e.g. along the edge of the pauldron) as you put on several layers of a lighter color, you can paint a clean darker line in one stroke. Just my preference, FWIW. :P

Thanks for the input everyone. The more I look at this guy the less happy I am with him so I'll be painting version 3.0 this weekend :huh: .

So yeah, and next week crew season starts, which will bring 40k painting/modeling to a grinding, slow pace...

Anywho, thanks and more tips are welcome.

First off, let me say that I'm digging your white. I love the dirty white look, so props for using it. Are you covering the whole shoulder pad or just the recesses when you wash it? I would try doing the latter but with watered-down wash, then tighten up the lines with Skull White. Or undercoat the miniature white in the first place - that cuts out a lot of steps.

I paint white by undercoating the piece white (I spray the pieces separately before assembly), very light wash in recesses with watered-down Fortress Grey, then build back up with Skull White.

The red looks a little blotchy, but nothing another coat of paint wouldn't sort out.

The metal on your gun could do with a black wash, then maybe a highlight.

Your eye lenses look great though, good job.

Archived