Instakill counting towards combat resolution?

rusty1109

Hi all,

Just a quick question here, suppose I charge some random unit with a unit consisting of a marines and a chapter master.

My squad manages to inflict two unsaved wounds on the enemy unit.

The enemy unit inflicts only one wound from it's leaders powerfist.

I allocate to the chapter master as he has an invulnerable save, but he fails!

He's instakilled as attackers strength is more than or equal to twice his toughness.

My question is who has won the combat?

I dealt two unsaved wounds and he technically dealt one unsaved wound.

But his one unsaved wound killed a three wound character, so has he actually caused three unsaved wounds?

Thoughts please!

Cheers,

Rusty

"Note that wounds that have been negated by saving throws or other special rules that have similar effects do not count, nor do wounds in excess of a model's Wounds characteristic, only the wounds actually suffered by the enemy models (including wounds lost by models that have suffered instant death)."

Rulebook, p. 39, "Determine Assault Results", fourth paragraph

You suffered only 1 wound, so you win the combat.

Incorrect. You suffered how every many wounds the captain had left. I lost a combat that way last night, taking a thunder hammer wound to an attack bike so it counted as two wounds for resolution.

Of course, the situation couldn't be possible. You can't allocate a hit from the squad to an attached IC anyway. ICs are treated as seperate squads in combat.

if we consider another situation then, where a unit consisting entirely of models with 2 wounds suffers one instadeath but causes one wound to their opponents.

The key phrase (kindly supplied by legatus) seems to be:

'wounds lost by models that have suffered instant death'

So you count as losing the combat by all the wounds the instadeath model had remaining?

Who's right Tanhausen or JamesI?

JamesI is correct. You add up all the wounds that are lost by each side. A model that suffers instant death loses however many wounds it currently has left. If the Captain was at full health, an instant death would add three points to the opponent's combat result. If he had already suffered a wound in a previous turn, then an instant death would remove two wounds and add two to the opponent's result.

what you dont count is the situations where you cause 5 wounds to a 3 wound model.. you can only count his 3 wounds not the extra 2..

i was involved ina 2vs 2 game the other week, logan and termies vs 5 tyranid warriros and loads of gaunts, despite losing all his mates logan was still left, so i told the chap to allocate all his attacks at S8 at the tyranid warriors.. killing 3 and causing 9 wounds.. winning him the combat.

the tyranid player thought it was really unfair.. but thems the breaks

Archived