What exactly is the term "Thunder-Bubble"?

The DeathJester

I was on another forum the other day and I heard the expression "Thunder-Bubble",

All I could gather was that it's three vindicators within a wall of thunder hammer terminators dropping templates within 24" per turn and having a fairly decent resistance due to the terminator wall.

Im considering making a list based around this, however, Ive noticed a number of problems with it,

1. Its stationary and isn't very maneuverable

2. 24" is only about halve the board

3. its about 600 to 700 points worth of anti-everything, thats bad because its got a huge "Attack me first" sign on its head.

I thought Id counter these problems by doing two different things,

1. Feild a chaptermaster or two to drop an additional 1 or 2 unlimited range large template.

2. Felid a Spacemarine captain on bike to turn spacemarine bikers into troop choices and as tactics go, detonate the enemy, race to claim objectives last minuite.

Whats your opinion on the subject?

A "Thunder Bubble" doesn't necessarily involve Vindicators.

It's a list-design where you take a typically shooty Marine list (usually Razorback Spam, but really any list that transports Tacticals in Las/Plas Razorbacks and hands back in your deployment zone can work) and then place between yourself and the enemy forces a "bubble" of Thunder Hammer / Storm Shield Assault Terminators. As you noted, Vindicators are actually pretty terrible in this role... the ones I've seen will usually use Predators in the Heavy Support slot, supported by at least 3 Razorbacks.

Assault-y lists are loathe to get into melee with TH/SS Termies. And against shooty lists, you run the Termies forward and force the enemy to decide between getting mauled by Termies or shot up by your firebase.

The terminators would give your vehicles or shooty marines behind the line a cover save. The terminators themselves are pretty resiliant to fire (2+/3++). And, there aren't many units that want to charge into a thunder hammer terminator squad. You can move the terminators 6" up and the vehicles 6" up and still fire a weapon per vehicle each round.

The biggest problem I see with it is: ~400 points to give a cover save to a razorback? Really? Those 400 point terminators need to be fighting stuff! Also, a 4+ cover save is no garantee on the vehicle. Stuff that I pop smoke on gets blown up all of the time. Finally, if I'm getting a cover save because you're shooting through my terminators, then I'm probably giving you a cover save when I shoot back through those same terminators.

Fast armies could just play keep away, I'd think. Not a fan of this idea at all.

The terminators would give your vehicles or shooty marines behind the line a cover save. The terminators themselves are pretty resiliant to fire (2+/3++). And, there aren't many units that want to charge into a thunder hammer terminator squad. You can move the terminators 6" up and the vehicles 6" up and still fire a weapon per vehicle each round.

The biggest problem I see with it is: ~400 points to give a cover save to a razorback? Really? Those 400 point terminators need to be fighting stuff! Also, a 4+ cover save is no garantee on the vehicle. Stuff that I pop smoke on gets blown up all of the time. Finally, if I'm getting a cover save because you're shooting through my terminators, then I'm probably giving you a cover save when I shoot back through those same terminators.

Fast armies could just play keep away, I'd think. Not a fan of this idea at all.

It isn't just a cover save, it is also a chain fist/melta weapon shield and they can also be used offensively. Combat squad the terminators and keep them close, so you can shoot through the break. It won't matter, however, when your enemies are shooting because you still obscure 50%.

Fast armies will get shot up throughout the game, that is part of the point. The only fast army I can think of that would really give this trouble would be full MEQ Eldar with bright lances and Dark Angel Death/Raven builds heavy on bikes (Bikes with teleport homers and deep striking terminators, essentially).

Archived