Cover for 3+ sqauds by overlapping

FusionHS

Hey guys,

I was just wondering, after experimenting with a new BT list that involves 3 tactical temri squads(5 man, 2xCML each), that if its possible to move them through open ground in such away that they give each other a cover save no matter what angel the enemy is shooting from by overlapping the 3 squads(but lets assume at least a 45 degree arc from the center of the formation).

I was wondering if it would be the best to overlap them in 3 columns, letting 2 of each squad in front to fire the CML without the enemy getting the same cover save, and then arranging the rear 3x3 block of termis to give all 3 squads cover.

I know this is a bit dodgy, and im not sure how many people will play against me after i pull something like that, but i find it quite interesting

Is it possible? has anyone done it before? and do you already know a formation?

What are you, an Ork player? Honestly, your Terminators don't need a cover save. You have 2+/5++ saves.

Also, not at all legal. From the BRB FAQ:

"Q: Who gets the 4+ cover save for intervening models

when two units are intermingled? (p21)

A: The unit with the model closest to the enemy that is

firing does not have a cover save."

Why?

Because it was a blatant abuse of the rules for a while that saw orks, and in my area more often gaurd players, having better cover saves in the open than their armor saves ever were.

How in the world would you be able to create cover to all units and not have a front and back unit. ... No matter what unless you found a way to be in both positions at once be able to have that cover save at the closest unit.

Simply solved your opponent going to say to you I'm going to shoot your closet unit. At this point you can't calm any cover due to the FAQ. Sealed case closed ... unless you have a rhino smoke and provide cover in some way. After a certain point ... thinking about all the things you could due. You have about 1000 pts used to protect every unit on the board in some way. I think if you used 600 pts in just killing one of those units you maybe able to win. Or at least finish the game.

How in the world would you be able to create cover to all units and not have a front and back unit. (sic)

So, pre-FAQ what Green tide players would do is this (models from units 1 and 2 represented by said-numbers):

(your unit here)

1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2

2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1

1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2

etc

Now, neither unit is in front, each unit has an infantry unit interposed between it and the your unit, thus they both get a cover save. Shenanigans!

Seem dirty? It is. It's what the FAQ entry is intended to fix. Bottom line is, if neither unit is "closer", the defender needs to nominate one to get the cover save. The other does not, so shoot it. <3

Archived