Moondrakken

Captain Denaro

Can someone explain the purpose of Khan's run and Fleet abilities when he takes Moondrakken? Does he confer these abilities on any squad he's with as I'm struggling to see why he'd leave his squad behind, hence losing them the chance to Furious Charge? You pay 10 points for this special bike after all.

I always wondered that too. I can see why you might take him on a bike, but there seems little in the way of reason as to why that bike needs to be Moondrakken, as it confers almost nothing useful.

A deluded raving of the lunatic we know as Matt Ward. It's another poorly worded rule, like Shrike's infiltration bit.

At the risk of opening a massive (off-topic) can of worms - what's wrong with Shrike's infiltration bit?!?

For Shrike: While it looks like it's designed for Shrike to give Infiltration to a unit he joins, he technically can't join a unit without infiltration and grant it infiltrate because he deploys during a different part of deployment. Non infiltrators can't infiltrate, shrike joining them is done at deployment, so the unit he joins gains the ability to infiltrate... when they deploy normally. In other words, he can only infiltrate with units that can already infiltrate, and only grants outflank to others. If this was the intent, then it could have been done MUCH clearer. If it was not the intent, then it failed to do anything else.

I guess Moondrakken's fleet thing is handy when he goes solo and ninja's fire warriors or necron warriors or other weak units. Otherwise, it doesn't really confer anything to his squad. You're mostly paying for the bikes as troops bit.

spartan249, I think they've FAQed it in the General Rulebook FAQ:

Q: If an Independent Character is going to begin a game

joined to a unit when should this be done? (p48)

A: You should nominate which Independent Characters are

joining units at the start of deployment before you place

any units on the board. Note that this should be done

before you nominate which units are being held in

Reserve, Deep Strike or are Outflanking etc.

To me that appears to be the IC joining a unit before deployment. That unit then have infiltrate, and so they can then choose to infiltrate as you haven't placed any models yet, it being the start of deployment. Apologies if you've already seen this and I've misinterpreted it or something.

Yeah, I think Grey Mage was just citing it as an example of how sloppy and counter-intuitive strict RAW adherence can be.

At the original poster... no, moondrakkan does not confer the abilities to units khan joins. Being able to run/fleet on his bike allows Khan to detach himself from a unit without wasting movement, which has its applications, though they are few and far between.

"If riding Moondrakkan, Kor'sarro Khan has the ability to run in the shooting phase and has the fleet special rule."

I don't recall it saying anything about conferring these abilities to an attached unit, unlike Hit and Run and Furious Charge. Whether or not bikes/infantry are capable of running would be irrelevant.

There are times I'd prefer to split off Khan. Against many opponents, you don't really need the boost from FC.

This. Khan can be a single destructive force against a well measured unit, combine it with skilled rider, and other IC based abilities, he can put fleet on a bike to excellent use.

"If riding Moondrakkan, Kor'sarro Khan has the ability to run in the shooting phase and has the fleet special rule."

I don't recall it saying anything about conferring these abilities to an attached unit, unlike Hit and Run and Furious Charge. Whether or not bikes/infantry are capable of running would be irrelevant.

oh yeah good point, mea culpa..

Archived