Calgar with 3x honourguard, kantor support,

The DeathJester

Im temped to feild marneus calgar with three honour guard squads, 5 Men per squad put inside razorbacks.

First squad has Calgar in,

Second Squad has Kantor in,

Third Squad has banner bearer in,

All three are kitted out with auxillary granade launchers and a champion per squad.

For support units Im considering Tactical Squads and Sternguard. Both are scoring and will do a fine job in this role.

Whats your thoughts?

Im temped to feild marneus calgar with three honour guard squads, 5 Men per squad put inside razorbacks.

First squad has Calgar in,

Second Squad has Kantor in,

Third Squad has banner bearer in,

All three are kitted out with auxillary granade launchers and a champion per squad.

For support units Im considering Tactical Squads and Sternguard. Both are scoring and will do a fine job in this role.

Whats your thoughts?

How many points is that? Will it be enough for me to use all 60 of my howling banshees? (Ok one foc... son only 30 :'()

Here's something I do when making up for-fun lists like this. I make a theoretical list - at the same point value - that is purely tactical marine squads in Rhinos with meltaguns and MLs and fill out with assault marines/dev marines...then I ask myself "Can I kill all of these marines with this list?" (It's a LOT of marines.) If the answer is no, I then ask myself "Can I hold them off until turn 7 and keep myself at least one objective over them?" If the answer to this is no also, I rework the list. <3

Honour Guard are cool, but even those 2+ armor saves are going to fail to several volleys of rapid fire...and there are too few of them per unit to tangle up more than one tactical squad in an assault at a time. Marines choose to fail morale after losing combat, marines successfully flee, marine turn comes up...rapid fire. This list might be fun, though. Can't hurt to try it (unless it involves more painting than you might like).

Hey man...I don't want to rain on your parade, but you might want to break out an umbrella anyway. So I apologize in advance if it's not what you want to hear.

I love Calgar and I love Honor Guard. They're both great fluff-wise and they hit like a ton of bricks, even if they are kinda spendy and less than optimal. But, if you use the Idaho Pattern HG (and you should) then you're looking at 225 pts per squad, plus Razorbacks (let's assume that they are only using the heavy bolter layout to save points). Papa Smurf weighs in at a Land Raider pricetag of 250. And Pedro is another 175 (note that his inspiring presence doesn't stack with the Chapter Banner).

So...before we even get to troop choices your list is roughly 1220 points deep with no long range firepower or AV greater than 11. Yeah, you have 700 points to shore that up (assuming a 2k game), but our troop choices will do little to address those and will be over 300 points in an attempt to do so. Basically, I think it comes down to your list needing to use 400 points to counter the armor and long-range firepower of a 2000 point list. Yes, the HG is hard hitting. Yes, Papa Smurf can punch out avatars (*snicker*). But the Razorbacks aren't likely to last long against your opponent's anti-armor assets and if they don't then your HG are stranded.

With so many points tied up in Chapter Masters and HG, the list has a single point of failure. If 60% of your list can be ignored with a little shooting and movement, then you are going have an *extremely* difficult time. As an Ultramarine myself, I'm reasonably certain my riflemen dreads could keep the HG at arm's length while my mech list can bully the HG from the safety of their boxes or my bike list could play keep away. I admit it'd be a very interesting game with my drop pods though.

I'd pick a single Chapter Master, one unit of HG (I can't recommend Captain Idaho's HQ layout enough) and support that hitting power with the rest of your list.

I'd have to echo BC Ed's sentiments. You're spreading your hammer units too thin, and wrapping them in wet cardboard. Your supporting units will also be wrapped in cardboard, and you'll likely max out at three additional Rhino-borne units with your available points, and those will be light on upgrades (likely flamer/ML). Two of those three MUST be tactical squads.

At 2000 points most lists you'll see on the table will be able to shred six Rhinos in two turns, at most.

Archived