'Tactical' Terminators

captain sox

Hello folks!

Here's a quick question to see which of these weapons is used more on Terminators: The Heavy Flamer or the Assault Cannon.

I have 10 Terminators right now with 2 Cyclone Launchers, and I plan to add 10 more, so I was just curious as to which weapon is the more popular choice.

I can see why people would take the Assault Cannons, but I'm not sure why the Heavy Flamer wasn't put in the the Assault Terminator box.....

Thanks!

I can see why people would take the Assault Cannons, but I'm not sure why the Heavy Flamer wasn't put in the the Assault Terminator box.....

Thanks!

Probably because they can't take heavy flamers....

Now, I'm a fan of both heavy flamers and assault cannons, but I gave my 5 man squad an assault squad. Reasoning? I feel you need 2 cyclones to do cyclones effectively. So on a big 10 man squad, 2 cyclones definately. You're not going to deep strike that squad so give them the cyclones for range and everything.

However, a 5 man squad wants to be flexible, and have the option of deep striking. Therefore, I feel assault cannons are best for them. If they deploy on foot they will probably be in range of something anyway, at least in turn 2 if not turn 1. And they can deep strike 24" away from what you want to shoot up and still fire to full effect, that's a lot of leeway.

Heavy flamers are cool, but it's risky, very risky deep striking them nearby. However, they can be a game winner if you get lucky, flaming that scout squad or those pathfinders off of the objective.

So it comes down to a couple of questions. 10 man or 5 man squad? If 10 then cyclones, if 5 then how daring are you? And how much will you deep strike them? If the answer is lots then perhaps the heavy flamer. Anything else and the assault cannon.

Maybe I'm biased though, but I prefer the look of the heavy flamer and assault cannon over the cyclone, and I used the heavy flamer for a Sternguard conversion, so in the end I didn't have much choice did I! :)

I gave my 5 man squad an assault squad

I didn't realise that was an option! I'd totally give my terminators an assault squad to beat people up with! What do they do, throw the marines into the enemy? :P

Heavy flamers are a nice weapon, but i've been told on numerous occassions its less suitable for a terminator squad and I can see why. The unit is already pretty strong at anti-infantry with its storm bolters and powerfists. Whilst the unit will not be able to take on CC dedicated enemies, they pack more than enough bite to tear to pieces enemy infantry, the heavy flamer only really helps a small unit against massive hordes. That said, its reasonably cheap!

However, an assault cannon is a decent weapon. It may have a shorter range than the equally priced CML, but it dishes out a fair few shots and is useful against infantry and vehicles. If you want to take something apart from the CML (which is probably the best option) then i'd definately stick to using the assault cannon as it gives your unit more flexibility when fighting enemies.

I don´t use regular terminators any more. But, when I used them, I always include a heavy flamer and a chainfist.

The main reason is that I needed a weapon that could ignore cover. The second reason is that adding any other weapon to a 5men unit seemed too expensive for its real efect.

Archived