Alpha Legion Cell project

Natanael

Hi fellas.

I've been into the true scale adventure for some time, but havent been able to get more then one squad of 10 done. However, I want to use them at a tournament here in Sweden in some weeks, called Gothcon, and since it will go down at the 22-24th of April, I have some work to do to get a full army. So with the thought of using what I already got, since I'm low on money, I set upon the challenge of choosing a codex. At first I was gonna use the regular SM 'dex, but that would involve to much buying. Next I thought about Daemonhunters, later Codex: Grey Knights, but then again too much to buy. Then I remembered that I had a copy of the Witch Hunter codex somewhere, and after finding it and having a look I was satisfied. So, WH it is.

Plan is to use some of the stuff that I have already to get all of the choices without buing to much or stealing stuff from my SW army. So my Beastmen felt like a natural choice to represent some cult of chaos, and then I found some Fire Warriors to use as IST, modified of course. And the True Scaled marines would be allied Space Marines. So, without further talk, I present to you the Alpha Legion supported rebellion on some distant planet =D

First is a few shots of my AL marines:

IMG_1091.JPG

IMG_1092.JPG

The rest is just started, and I am waiting for some friends to send me bitz that I need to get it all done. But prepare for Gors in armour and with guns, and mutated freaks to count as arco-flagellants.

Hope you will enjoy the madness.

Cheers,

- Natanael

Looking good Nathaneal. I particularly like the way their armour looks almost like oil on water, sort of slippery if that makes any sense. Really fits the sons of the hydra :P.

Looking forward to seeing more of this army as you develop it.

cheers

James

I think, but I don't know for sure, that Nathaneal picked the Witch Hunters 'dex as it would allow him to use operatives as henchmen, 'heretics' as indentured guardsmen or storm troopers and their Alpha Legion masters as allied Space Marines.....

Yep. James is spot on. Since I dont have that much money to work with and have a lot of spare guys from different projects I can mash them all together to get cool henchmen as operatives (including the Inq, or operative cell agent) and some chaos cult as the rest of the force. So there will not be that many actual AL marines, only like 15 or so, but more heretics and mutants (beastmen with GS, really) :devil:

Tomorrow I have nothing but a trip to the gym planned, so hopefully I'll be able to get the GS going and some work done.

And James, thank you for the armour comment. That is what I was kinda going for, sort of an ocean/dirty water look that I also think fits the AL very nicely. And it is very easy to do for me even tough I am not a good painter at all.

- Nat

Looking good there, mate! :huh:

My guess is that they're undercoated white and then washed blue twice for that gorgeous oceanic look.

Any method which has a high awe-to-simplicity ratio should be employed as often as possible :rolleyes:

Good thinking with the WH-dex, should work well.

Will I be seeing them on GothCon?

Yep, white basecoat, one wash of asurmen blue, then green watered down highlight or what you want to call it, and then another wash of blue and you're set. As you can see I've got quite a lot of detail work to do, and they are supposed to get freehanding all over the armour when I feel I am capable of painting good enough.

And yes, gothcon is the main goal here. I could play my Space Wolves if I cant get them done, but until the lists have to be sent in I'll work, and then we'll see how far I've managed to go.

- Natanael

Edit:

I also need suggestions on how to make the Hellguns of my IST. They are armoured Gors from the Beastmen in WHFB (GS armour, that is) and need something nice and evil :huh:

I also need suggestions on how to make the Hellguns of my IST. They are armoured Gors from the Beastmen in WHFB (GS armour, that is) and need something nice and evil :)

If you've got or can get the materials, perhaps you could use some regular lasguns, cut the powerpacks off them, drill a couple of holes in the bottom of the powerpack housing, insert a couple of lengths of guitar wire (or equivilent) then use the guitar wires to link the lasguns to backpacks or pouches. To make them look 'evil' the easiest thing to do would be remove the aquilae from them, then add some spikes/vicious beastmen style combat blades. Another thing you could do is try cutting a section out of the middle of Accatran (cadian) pattern lasguns to mimic the 'typically' shorter barrels of hellguns.

Hope some of that waffle might be of assistance

James

James: Thank you, that is helpful. I have sent a message to a friend who plays IG to see if he has got any lasguns that I can get, and otherwise I'll just try and think of something. I feel they dont have to look like hellguns, since this is a rebellion and chaosy <_< No coherent uniforms and that stuff is needed and therefore the guns dont have to look all the same, just "counts as".

Here are some pics of the IST and some henchmen that was todays work. First a lousy pic of the gors getting their first treatment with GS:

IMG_1100.JPG

Then a shot of my soon-to-be henchmen, if I can get some cool weapons for them:

IMG_1098.JPG

And last a scale shot, to get some feeling for how large stuff is. The modified marine second to the left is going to be my Inqusitor or Chaos Preacher. Same thing really ;) He used to be a test for the Dornian Heresy Ultramarines Damocles Pattern armour. Turned out so so.

IMG_1097.JPG

Not much to see in this update really. Gonna see if I can get a squad of IST ready 'cept for guns tomorrow, as well as get some painting on my AL. The more I do now the less I have to do later :P

- Natanael

Gonna double post just to get some of the fluff that I started up as well. English is not my native language so please forgive any spelling errors and such. My writing program just says every word is wrong, so no help there ;) Here you go anyway:

++++ The Beginning of the end ++++

Severin Boya had an itch. Just above his left hip he was itching. And for every minute in this blasted sun it grew worse. Not that he intended to scratch, of course, but he hated having it there. The heavy cloak he wore did not help either, covered with leaves and branches, and of course the digital camo that came with it. The rest were his own designs to improve it just a little bit. One did not want to be spotted while one was working, he tought to himself with a croocked smile. A quick glance down the scope told him that nothing had changed in the camp below him. Guardsmen were still going about their buisness and no officers were in sight. And certanly no procession of any sort. That was why he was there in the rough cliffs with his sniper rifle. For the procession. When the Legion had come for him again after all this time he did not hesitate. His loyalty had always been to the Legion, and that would not change, tough he silently questioned why they’d have him shoot his own general. Well, he was not to question, just to obey. And, he reminded himself, the man was not his general. He belonged to the Legion, not to this sorry lot that called themselves Imperial Guard. He tried to change position a little, but it didnt manage much. He did not want to adventure his mission. Another look down the scope told him that the cloud of dust actually had appeared on the horizon and he let go a small sigh of relief. He would get to shoot today, after all. He had been a snipershot all his life, from what he could remember. When he was a kid, he had been so impressed with the imperial troops that he joined them on first chance, and with that he soon found his place in the special forces, and in the sniper division. It was there that the Legion picked him up, rising him up to know truth and to know that he could serve. Tough, he still had to pretend to be like the scum down there in the valley.

He adjusted his position a little to get rid of a stone in his side while the cloud came closer to the base gates. He took a glance at the sun, high in the east, and checked his rifle once again. He actually felt a little nervous, despite all the training and combat service he had. This shot was not some small matter like most of the rest had been. This was the real deal, a shot to change the lives of this enitre planet. He peered down the scope, taking in the chimeras thundering through the gates far below him and the guardsmen running to take up positions of the honour guard that was to be kept at all times when such a high ranking individual was visiting. Boya knew that there had to be other men positioned out in the camp and around it, keeping watch on him for the Legion as well as to make sure the Captain-General was dead when he did actually take the shot. He let the scope traverse a little to the left of the now stopping armoured coloumn, to the command tent, and placed a finger on the trigger. Soon.

Edian stopped just as he left the dark inside of the Chimera and had a look around while sptitting some of the dust that infested his mouth out. All normal, with just a regular army camp all around him. He let go of a small sigh, trying not to look to concerned. He hated transporting important people, and most of all he hated guarding Captain-General Brish. The man was a total jerk, not really deserving his title on combat merit but on ties to the governors family, and he did nothing to keep his troops happy. Quite the opposite, he seemed to beliave that every soldier but himself liked to keep his head tucked in the mud, eating grovel and sand, not deserving the fine meals that Brish had himself. A cook just for himself? Come on. Edian could hardly beliave the mans stupidity. No, Brish was not a favourite among the men and there would be no tears wept for him this afternoon. Walking over to the command tent he began shouting orders for a defensive perimiter as if they were not among friends. His leutenants picked up the mood and went roaring at the men to hurry up. Another sigh and Edian walked up to the lead chimera, waiting for the men to open the hatch before making a half bow. The Captain-General looked right through him as he stepped down on the sand with a disgusted look on his face. He held out his hand and one of his servants held out a cup of water. Servants! Edian had to supress another sigh so that Brish should not hear, and then fell in behind him as Brish started for the tent in front of him, sipping on the cooled water in his hand. After that, all happended in a second. Edian felt hot liquid being splashed on his face before he realised that the Captain-Generals head was no more. Shouts began all over the open area as Brishs body hit the ground and he heard the alarm signals coming from all the speakers around the camp. Quickly regaining his wits, he fell on his knees beside the body, spitting curses into the vox-transmitter in his helmet, ordering the bodyguard into a tight formation around the mess that had once been the Captain-General. He held back a faint smile at the thought of bodyguard. That really was all they were guarding now, a body. Still, the mission had been a success and he did not have to act the traitor.

++++++++

Hope you like it. Maybe I'll do a coverage of the entire rebellion, but who knows ;)

Cheers,

- Natanael

Hey man sorry I haven't commented on here yet, cuz these guys are awesome! And I just wanted to say that the WH codex idea is pretty brilliant, espcially considering the Dornian Heresy thing about them :P

About the Henchmen, are you gonna do anything to make their armour a bit less Tau-y? Cuz at the moment it looks a bit like just an unfinished mash-up of Empire State Troops and Tau.. It might be the slashed sleeves and the hats, but they just don't seem to work together that well.

Anyway, looking forward to more pictures!

Good day Brother Natanael, and good luck with getting the army ready for the tournament. :P

The mottled blue of the Marine armour is going to look quite striking on the game table. Are you going to paint the rest of the army like them? Or are you going to do them a more contrasting colour?

Goose: Np, dude. Comment as you wish ;) And thank you for the imput. The henchmen are just mock-ups right now, as I found the tau and the empire guys and could not resist putting them together :D I'll add some GS to them, I think, to make it look more like they are individual soldiers from different backgrounds.

Newtype: Thank you! I'll probably need the luck :ermm: The rest of the army is probably gonna get something similar on parts of their armour, but not all of it. At least the operatives. The cultists may get something else.

- Natanael

The pics turned out rather dark, so I'll get some new ones when I am really finished. Right now they are almost done, just need a few touch-ups like the heads and details, shading on some leather and the seals that some of them carry. Anyone got a good way to paint parchment?

Pics:

IMG_1102.JPG

IMG_1103.JPG

IMG_1104.JPG

IMG_1105.JPG

IMG_1106.JPG

IMG_1107.JPG

As I said, dark pics, but they will be better next time :D Got the last four guys in the works but I cant decide on giving the Sgt a Power Weappon (huge axe) or a Power Fist to go with his Combi-melta. Well well. Updates on the IST and Henchmen someday soon!

Keep me motivated, and if the pics are too large or something, please leave a note :P

- Nat

Update time.

Since I've been having problems with how to make my Inq Storm Troopers I have put them on hold and got to work with the rest of the AL part of this army. I also tried making a servitor out of a gor :ph34r: Kinda strange creation, and not very good looking at all. Anyway - pics:

Scouts for AL, a strange Gor-servitor and two models I found. The left one is an IG Techpriest and one of my favourite models of all time =D

IMG_1108.JPG

I also tried some free-handing. Not very good, hehe :P XX stands for the 20th Legion.

IMG_1109.JPG

My retired SW dread gets a facelift in service of the Legion.

IMG_1110.JPG

And some superdark pics of the last two AL for the tac squad (two already painted in the wrong scheme) making them 10. Champ and dude.

IMG_1113.JPG

IMG_1115.JPG

I dont get why the pics turn out so dark. This time I took them buy the window, with double lamps focused on them. Well well, we'll see how I fare next time.

- Natanael

Painting the last guys today and started on the dread. Here are some pics. And guys, you are allowed to comment, even to say that it all sucks and I should quit. ; )

Sarge:

IMG_1116.JPG

Marines:

IMG_1117.JPG

IMG_1118.JPG

IMG_1119.JPG

Whole gang, almost done:

IMG_1120.JPG

And dread PIP and some Inq + Henchmen:

IMG_1121.JPG

IMG_1122.JPG

Cheers,

- Natanael

I like the Inquisitor and the henchman with the big axe. It's from the plastic White Lions right? I wish I had one so I didn't have to scratch build it for my Sisters.. :P

Oh and the guy with the powerfist looks really cool! Though his PF arm looks a bit low down, your hand reaches roughly halfway down your thigh so even with a powerfist, past your knee is a bit far..

Are those faces gonna get some highlights?

Keep up the great work! :D Don't quit! ;)

Archived