How to arm Deathwing Terminators

snake_x

Hi all,

With their mix of weapon options, what is best way to arm Deathwing terminators? I'm talking footsloggers here. Should I mix in some storm shields or max out on storm bolters? I'm a little lost....

Any help greatly appreciated!

I'm run my squads like this:

Either

2x TH/SS, 2 Pfist/Sbolter, 1 Cyclone/Pfist/Sbolter

or

2x DLC, 1 Standard/DLC, 1 Psword/Sbolter, 1 Pfist/Sbolter.

For the Cyclone Squad, I throw in a couple of Th/SS guys to help absorb AP2/1 fire better. The second build is simply what I use for a squad that's designed to assault out of a raider.

It's not a simple task to pinpoint which build is the "best" for all situations. You'll need to first examine how you find yourself using terminators, then equip them appropriately.

For a primarily shooting squad, you want to maximize the shooting terminators, but still have a few 3+ invuls to deflect those anti-terminator weapons (lascannons/plasma guns/other assorted AP2 weapons) more effectively, keeping your shooting termies alive longer. To this effect, 1 or 2 Th/SS terminators in a squad full of bolters and a heavy weapon should provide decent results. This sort of squad is useful in a mobile phalanx type of list, as it will provide you with mobile mid-range firepower.

For a more generalist squad, I think a couple of Th/SS terminators, a lightning claw terminator, a chainfist terminator, and a cyclone terminator will provide a decent mix of capabilities for whatever you need. This squad should fit in with just about any army composition/strategy.

For an assault heavy squad, a healthy mix of TH/SS termies with DLC terminators and a Banner will put the fear of the emperor in their targets. This type of squad is very good at counter assault and objective clearing, and can complement a shooting army by covering the CC department.

For a terminator squad that will simply not budge, a full group of TH/SS terminators with a Cyclone can be quite a pain in your opponent's side. It's a nuisance because of the missiles being fired, and highly resistant to anti-terminator fire due to the 3+ invuls. This squad is useful in a list that has anti-infantry covered elsewhere (HF speeders, LRCs, etc), as it provides heavy anti-elite capability.

Which build will be the best for you is really determined by how the rest of your army is assembled.

Hi all,

With their mix of weapon options, what is best way to arm Deathwing terminators? I'm talking footsloggers here. Should I mix in some storm shields or max out on storm bolters? I'm a little lost....

Any help greatly appreciated!

Ok normally I take a chainfist in a squad so that if I need to punch heavy armour such as a raider or dread (in combat) I can get through it.

For heavy weapons I like assault cannons as I normally find myself within 24 inches of the enemy... Cyclones are also good however and I like to put them on TH/SS guys

As for standard weapons... I tend to to take a mixed squad but I don't see why dedicated squads shouldn't work... TH/SS squads have now gained a lot of popularity.

Hellios, my thoughts exactly. I'd have imagined that with the FAQ update that 5 man squads with TH/SS and a cyclone missile launcher would be popular. Great combat ability, combined with excellent durability, shooting ability to soften up targets or get them out of transports, and the ability to deep strike if you want don't want to walk.

However, there aren't many DA players in my area, and the only two I can think of aren't Deathwing players, so I ask if anyone else would be able to validate my suspicions?

Hellios, my thoughts exactly. I'd have imagined that with the FAQ update that 5 man squads with TH/SS and a cyclone missile launcher would be popular. Great combat ability, combined with excellent durability, shooting ability to soften up targets or get them out of transports, and the ability to deep strike if you want don't want to walk.

However, there aren't many DA players in my area, and the only two I can think of aren't Deathwing players, so I ask if anyone else would be able to validate my suspicions?

This tends to only be good with lots of long range anti horde to keep your TH/SS from getting bogged down.

I like this for sloggers:

2 TH/SS

1 AC/PF or 1 CML/PF/SB

1 Sergeant with standard wargear

1 Terminator with SB/PF

For Belial's Squad (Delivered via LRC):

1 TH/SS with narthencium

1 TH/SS with banner

1 TH/SS sergeant

1 TH/SS with CML

1 TH/SS

Cheers for the feedback LardO'Blood. I must admit that last one is nasty (though I suppose it depends on the Sergeant/normal distinction, but lets not get into that). Having all or nearly all of your models as individuals with a 2+/3++ save must be annoying for your opponents.

This tends to only be good with lots of long range anti horde to keep your TH/SS from getting bogged down.

2 TH/SS

1 AC/PF or 1 CML/PF/SB

1 Terminator with SB/PF

1 TH/SS with narthencium

1 TH/SS with banner

1 TH/SS sergeant

1 TH/SS with CML

1 TH/SS

Are the stormbolters really worth it when you could have a full unit of 2+/3++? I'm not sure I am convinced that 3 stormbolters puts out any kind of firepower even worth mentioning.

I like the second setup. I was thinking about running 5 TH/SS with a CML and Apothecary. I planned to just drop them in on an objective - I think they would be a pain in the arse to budge.

Thoughts?

2 TH/SS

1 AC/PF or 1 CML/PF/SB

1 Terminator with SB/PF

1 TH/SS with narthencium

1 TH/SS with banner

1 TH/SS sergeant

1 TH/SS with CML

1 TH/SS

Are the stormbolters really worth it when you could have a full unit of 2+/3++? I'm not sure I am convinced that 3 stormbolters puts out any kind of firepower even worth mentioning.

I like the second setup. I was thinking about running 5 TH/SS with a CML and Apothecary. I planned to just drop them in on an objective - I think they would be a pain in the arse to budge.

Thoughts?

Yup, they are a pain in the arse to budge. They usually don't lose a man. I like the two TH/SS instead of all because you get more wound allocation groups which is important for DW, you usually don't need to take many 3++ saves at a time and it delivers some anti horde.

Yes I believe they are now. After forcing a unit of Wyches to fall back I was unable to keep it falling back (would have chased them but it was a team game where the DE player's partners had T-Wolf cav with a Wolf Lord close enough to charge me if I chased them) which I would have been able to do with 3 storm bolters, they came back and claimed the 1 objective needed to win the other guys the game.

Archived