Black Templars Chaplain with Cenobyte Servitors

Eenami5

Since Black Templars characters never stop being Independant Characters for the purposes of close combat, if you would have a Black Templars Chaplain, with Cenobyte Servitors, joined to a Sword Bretheren Terminator Squad, and go into close combat, is it considered 3 separate squads? i.e. Chaplain is his own squad, Servitors are a second squad, and Terminators third, and my opponent gets to choose which of the 3 to allocate close combat to?

I could be wrong, and its been a long time since I looked in a BT codex, but I thiink the servitors might count as a retinue - in which case it would be 2 units - chaplain/servitors and sword brethren. Could be wrong though...

The Cenobytes are kind of a retinue and kind of not. They are similar in that the Chaplain cannot leave them and they cannot leave him but that's it. The Cenobytes are wargear for the chaplain and do not have their own entry in the codex(They are bought from his entry and listed in the Wargear section). If the Chaplain dies they are removed from the board. However, because of our IC rule I would say that yes, they are a separte unit in CC that can be picked out by the enemy.

In this case it doesn't really matter if the Servitors are a retinue or not, since the Black Templars IC rule does state that our ICs are always independent in close combat (as Acebaur said). Upon further review, and some threads I found on other sites via Google, it ends up being 3 separate squads for the purposes of the opponent allocating where his hits are going to go.

Archived