Sternguard Squad's Special Ammo Question

Special Issue Ammunition definition:

"Each Boltgun Armed model in a Sternguard Veteran Squad Automatically with several special ammunition"

Stormbolter definition:

"A Storm Bolter resembles two boltguns attached side by side"

Combi-weapons definition:

"Combi-weapons are boltguns that have been specially modified"

In the "Options" For selecting wargear for the sternguard veteran squad section it says you can swap a boltgun for a stormbolter or any kind of Combi-Weapon.

Im wondering wether or not I can swap to a storm bolter or a combi-weapon and still use the special ammunition.

My argument for a storm bolter is that its two boltguns as discripted, and my argument for the combi-weapon is its a modified boltgun.

The arguments against it are that Combi-weapons and StormBolters are completely different weapons and can't be used with Special Ammo since they arent designated as "boltgun".

Which way does this swing?

Special Issue Ammunition definition:

"Each Boltgun Armed model in a Sternguard Veteran Squad Automatically with several special ammunition"

The rule then continues two sentences later:

"Each special ammunition type replaces the boltgun profile (including boltguns that are part of a combi-weapon)."

So that takes care of combi-weapons.

A storm bolter is not "two boltguns", it is a completely new weapon, and is not covered by the title "boltgun". Even if you could apply the special ammunition to a stormbolter (which you can't), if the special ammunition was to replace the storm bolter's profile just as it says in the rule, then the Stormbolter's "assault 2" would be replaced with the respective special ammo's "rapid fire" anyway. The special ammunition does not just change the weapon's Strength and AP, it has a complete own profile, including range and weapon type.

Archived