Sons of Medusa Space Hulk Blog

irishman

I finnaly broke open my copy of space hulk and have played several games with my kids. The models were of such high sculpting quality I kept saying "I really need to paint these". The problem is, I had not painted a miniature in 10 years. Painting has always helped me relax in the past, allowing me to hyperfocus.

So today, having had a very stressful week at work, I decided what the heck, id give it a try.

Now ten years ago, I had gotten out of 40K, and had given away my army to a close friend who still played, who had inadvertadely helped me collect the army by giving me his spares over the years. It only served to give them back. Its an army now that would cost me easily 1000$ to build, and most of the figures were metal.(and all beakie).

They were also painted Sons of Medusa, my favorite army from my 1st edition and the Badab war.

So when it came time to paint my figures, for old times sake, I decided on the old paint scheme.

So I will be paining them here, in front of you for poops and giggles.

I start off with a white basecoat. And then Scorpion Green basecoat. You will notice I am not a neat painter. Thats also, because Im not a good painter. I am, however, a relatively fast painter. My painting style I would describe as "slop and go". I have always found it more satisfying to get the base colour and shading on and then go back and paint over whatever i messed up the first time.

Here is the base coat:

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s33/dharman07/medusas002.jpg

And then i do a wash of dark ink. I let the ink pool and dry, and then go back with the base colour and paint over it later.

here is the Ink Coat.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s33/dharman07/medusas005.jpg

Im happy to say my 10 year old paints still work. Horray! As I start details, Ill move to more closeup pictures.

Lovely start, I'm looking forward to seeing how these turn out. What are you going to be doing about the Blood Angels iconography?

What you mean the "Sacred Blood of Medusa" the strange venom of the great serpent of Medusa that the chapter drinks to gain visions of the emperor?

Eh.. really.. i dont have time to cut and resculpt.. so Im leaving it. Red blood drops look really good on the green background anyway.

Irishman

I just looove scorpion green. Thanks for making me codex army plans more difficult! :D

Not sure you are aware, but Sons of Medusa have had their fluff fleshed out a bit and now are Iron Hands successor with a very unique origin. If you fancy cybernetics you may want to delve into that for any new models.

Actually, no I had not. Where is this backstory being documented? Is it online anywhere?

As for Iron hands, I allways assumed that the Sons of Medusa were an Iron Hands offshoot, since Medusa is the Iron hands homeworld. (kinda like a chapter being called Sons of Earth). My old army had a lot of bionics modeled up on them, but alas they are long gone.

I dont anticipate getting back into 40K any further than Space Hulk (and perhaps the varraints of such online). I did my time and had the rooms full of lead. However the constant re-versioning of the rules and the codexes allways laggign behind, and the constant changes to what is, and what is not valid in armies, etc... it got wearing.

Also I like playing games on a grid, where movement and line of sight are emperical, and cannot be "fudged" by gamers who want only to win.

• 2 weeks later...

Imperial Armour 9 and 10 are the Badab war, fleshed out and added to but still as exciting as it always was! Well worth getting for all us older gamers who remember the original.(Im so old i was actually in teh badab war - im pretty sure).

Anyway, SoM are now Iron hands successors after a splinter group formed during a mechanicum heresy.Well worth reading and its inspired me to start a small force (750) to expand into a proper army.

Do you go for a vibrant emerald or are you goingto try for a darker tone?

Its sad the "power" gamers killed it for you, 5th ed is actually stable and pretty quick running.

Archived