Tactical terminators & Chanifist

Capt. Kenaz

Okay, so I model and paint way more than I play, so I am looking for some feedback on the gaming side of things, and figured this was the right forum to ask:

In a five man terminator squad, say with an assault cannon, and the rest a regular load-out; what is the benefits and/or downsides to equipping your assault cannon trooper with a chainfist, as opposed to say giving one of the regular storm bolter troopers the squad's chainfist?

Thanks in advacne for ytuor experience....

Best is to give different troopers the different gear. Everything on one guy is too risky, especially in 5-man squads where you opponent can give you more than 5 wounds at a time. When they can put each guy at risk you are facing the possibility of losing a lot if the one guy fails. It's all the eggs on one basket idea.

1- Problem with giving the assault canon the chainfist is that you could lose one guy and you just lost all your weapons.

2- With more different guys you can play wound allocation games better (for example stacking rending on one guy to save others).

-Myst

I agree completely.

When I use my Terminators, I give two of the Storm Bolter Termies Chainfists, as it is a pretty cheap upgrade for what it does, and with 6 attacks on the charge, you have a pretty good chance of at least one hitting.

Just what I have found to work best from experience.

However, on the flip side giving different models different equipment results in that equipment being more likely to die. You take 4 wounds, your chainfist or your assault cannon dies. If it had been on the same model, your upgrades are safe.

So the choice is spreading them out where they are more vulnerable, but not losing them all to one bad roll, or lumping them together onto one model where they're less vulnerable, but losing them all to one bad roll.

Generally, I'd go for the former option, and spread them out. Wound allocation games and just not risking all upgrades on one model is better IMO, but it's still worth remembering the upside to lumping them on the same model.

That scenario only comes into play if you take exactly one less wound than you have guys. If you take <4 wounds.. better to spread them out. If you take >4 wounds... better to spread them out. Very very situational that it would ever be best to put them together. Meanwhile, there are countless opportunities to stack wounds in wound allocation to make that the more likely scenario.

-Myst

Archived