Blood Reaver

Ashe Darke

Blood reaver was naturally sold out. I was pretty miffed. So I bought this as my first ebook. I read the entire thing in one sitting with a couple of breaks.

Also GW OZ is nothing but a book store these days with the prices they charge you think they would order more books the fools. I am a bit sadface.jpg that I couldn't get a real copy.

"Hound saw her staring, mistaking the disgust on her face for confusion. ‘Intestines,’ he said.

‘Thank you, I guessed.’

‘You shouldn’t eat them.’ He said these words with the sage wisdom of experience.

‘I wasn’t going to.’

‘Good.’"

Classic. This to me was hilarious. I can't explain why, but Hound was my favourite character.

The book was great. It jumped around in perspective a lot. Which I usually find jarring. But somehow it didn't matter, because the characters felt real in my head. And they were all distinctive enough that I remember nearly all of them. (The branded weren't memorable but then they died fast.)

Humble Crit.

Usage of the word 'pissed' to describe blood and water leaving things. Perhaps I am alone but everytime I read (I believe only three times in the book it is used) the word 'pissed' it disengaged me from the story. And made me think surely there is a better way.. I suspect this is just me however.

You foreshadow too well. I want more.

The golem raptor .. "yes, yes.." is a bit I dunno lame to me. I say "No, no master please kill kill him."

I think hiding on the ceiling (in a duct etc) is getting played out.. but I mean I guess that is like say firing a boltgun is played out.

Those are my humble crits that I have no right to say. Forgive me.

Highlights..

Hound.. he was perplexingly likable.

Uzas' perspective.

Variel. The bit where he thinks that warriors around him are all 'posturing idiots who think they are the philosophical protagonists in their own saga..' or something like that, when I read that I had a grin on my face and found my new favourite character.

Mentioning the batwing helmets are ceremonial. How the NL are cowards who don't fight fair. Cyrion's "we tend to lose those" etc

Just the life in all the characters.

Mentioning the mighty Bolter and Chainsword and even tg in the thanks.

Anyways 10 outta 10. Recommend to any one reading this thread.

Blood reaver was naturally sold out. I was pretty miffed. So I bought this as my first ebook. I read the entire thing in one sitting with a couple of breaks.

Also GW OZ is nothing but a book store these days with the prices they charge you think they would order more books the fools. I am a bit sadface.jpg that I couldn't get a real copy.

Order from Book Depository mate, free shipping to Australia (although it might get here a couple of weeks later than in the stores) and cheaper!

So...Blood Reaver...great 40k novel, or greatest 40k novel?

Because I'm leaning heavily towards the latter....

I'm honestly having trouble imagining a universe wherein I finish this book and don't come to the same conclusion.

I used to be pretty down on the Black Library, but they've been putting out some gems of late. ;)

One of my few complaints about Soul Hunter was that it didn't feel like a complete story and that it didn't have that well rounded feel to it. Well we knew it was gonna be a trilogy well Blood Reaver makes Soul Hunter better in that respect just as I expect Void Stalker will improve SH and BR.

The book was brilliant and all that jazz, better than Soul Hunter, but the Blood Reaver did seem to make some assumptions that you had read the first book. Most books tend to explain little bits from outside the current book just to keep people up to speed. God knows why anyone would read this without reading the first but I got the feeling that anyone who did might feel a bit lost. Then again anyone new to it won't know enough to know they don't know enough. That said, leaving out the 'catch up' means more room for juicy jam packed awesome so it's not exactly bad for fans of the series :P

I'm about halfway through it at this point and loving it. I love the new characters introduced and really like the portrayal of Huron.

There's only one thing that bothers me. Every time it mentions that the Red Corsairs have been pillaging for centuries or that it has been centuries since the Badab War it takes me out of the story, having recently read IA 9 & 10 where it mentions the years of the conflict as the early ones of 900.M41, so it literally can't be centuries. Although the fact that Huron has amassed such an empire in so short a time would be even MORE impressive, and the degradation of his chapter even more startling.

Unless I'm wrong, in which case I apologize.

But seriously, it is a very very minor complaint and I really really love what I've been reading so far. A D-B is easily in the top 5 of my favorite Black Library authors and I love all of his books and stories that I have read.

There's only one thing that bothers me. Every time it mentions that the Red Corsairs have been pillaging for centuries or that it has been centuries since the Badab War it takes me out of the story, having recently read IA 9 & 10 where it mentions the years of the conflict as the early ones of 900.M41, so it literally can't be centuries. Although the fact that Huron has amassed such an empire in so short a time would be even MORE impressive, and the degradation of his chapter even more startling.

Unless I'm wrong, in which case I apologize.

You're right that the war doesn't begin until 900ish, but Huron assumed governorship of both Badab and the entire sector around 750.m41, and immediately began withholding tithes and other resources that were meant for the Imperium, as well as the gene-seed tithes to the Mechanicus. Originally, that period was depicted as being relatively peaceful IIRC, as the Imperium waited until it became apparent that Huron had no intention of restarting the tithes, but in the current retcon that Huron had been gathering forces to lead a crusade into the Maelstrom, and his rebellion was him throwing a tantrum when the Imperium refused to sanction it, maybe his growing fleets were engaged in some 'shenanigans' in the centuries between his power-grab and the start of the war in 901?

As such, "pillaging" isn't really the right word, so to speak, but it can be fit within the established timeline if it's assumed that Huron's withholding of taxes and goods in the 250 years leading up to the war counts as such.

I used to be pretty down on the Black Library, but they've been putting out some gems of late. :D

Pretty much any Abnett or ADB book is golden IMO. ADB could write an 800-page Simarillion-style treatment of a one-off encounter between the Rainbow Warriors and a half-Eldar female Sensei inducted into the loyalist Thousands Sons chapter from an alternative Imperial timeline and I'd buy the darn thing without hesitation, and then read it with an uncomfortably high level of enthusiasm.

i would say its probably the best 40k book i have read and i have read alot of them. I would love it if they got ADB to write the next chaos codex.

i would say its probably the best 40k book i have read and i have read alot of them. I would love it if they got ADB to write the next chaos codex.

I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter!

But you know what would be even better? An ADB-authored Codex Night Lords! (or at least ADB handling the fluff on said codex).

I've finished it already because I couldn't put it down. Bravo Mr. A D-B, bravo. It was absolutely terrific and one of my favorite 40k books. I really love the insights into the other characters and I really like seeing THEIR opinions of Talos' views of the Legion.

I can't wait for the next installment!

Now that I have finished the book, it is pretty much reinforcing the idea that anything with A D-B's name on it is a must buy. His novels are consistently satisfying, and tend to bring life to otherwise stagnating or mundane series - not only did the Night Lords series reinvigorate BL's Legion/Chapter series, but "Helsreach" actually made me buy the rest of the Space Marine Battles series to date (being the closest thing to false advertising in the context - it is the sole great novel in the otherwise hit-and-miss range to date, although I have not read "The Fall of Damnos" yet), and "The First Heretic" was the best Horus Heresy novel since "Legion" (not to mention that TFH is responsible for a VERY slowly progressing and VERY poorly painted small Word Bearers force gathering dust in my house). While some other BL authors can be counted on to provide solid if sometimes no-frills entertainment, A D-B provides great reads that stand on their own merits and truly captivate the reader. Considering his work in bringing the WH40K/HH worlds to life, I would really love to see what he could do with an original universe where he is not restricted by a shared-universe IP.

Oh, and in case I didn't already mention it, "Blood Reaver" was very well done, and stands very well on its own and as a part of the series. Kudos!

OK, this has to be the most fanboyish thing I have ever written. :P :D

Humble Crit.

Usage of the word 'pissed' to describe blood and water leaving things. Perhaps I am alone but everytime I read (I believe only three times in the book it is used) the word 'pissed' it disengaged me from the story. And made me think surely there is a better way.. I suspect this is just me however.

Nope, I agree with you on that one.

That is my only criticism though, personally. Blood Reaver has to be one of my favourite BL reads, it really was awesome.

Even though I pre-ordered it in March, Amazon aren't likely to deliver my copy until the end of next week! Thanks for that..! <_<

...Having said that, I've just received an e-mail from Amazon saying it;s been dispatched! Hurrah! :D

Pretty much any Abnett or ADB book is golden IMO. ADB could write an 800-page Simarillion-style treatment of a one-off encounter between the Rainbow Warriors and a half-Eldar female Sensei inducted into the loyalist Thousands Sons chapter from an alternative Imperial timeline and I'd buy the darn thing without hesitation, and then read it with an uncomfortably high level of enthusiasm.

Having just put Blood Reaver away (yep, best 40K novel ever), I think I'd read sugar packets and pet obituaries if it was A D-B's hand behind 'em. Holy cow, what a read.

Enjoyed this book. I really did. ADB is a really good author and I have the hopes that he, like fine wine will be better with each book he lay his word in.

The thing he does best and properly why I like the way he write is how he makes the astartes interact with each-other, they are dysfunctional, degenerated dregs from a planet where even the dark eldar would like to have a summerhouse and yet they manage to work together and be the bane (I would like to write "of the Imperium", but it's appear more like they are better at killing other traitors). Other writer can't pull this of, building strife within a squad without it getting childish (looking at you Kyme) but here? It's bloody brilliant, ADB write people better then battle-scenes and he should stick to it.

And I like his characters from the priesthood of mars even better. If the astartes in he's books only have a vague clue why mortals act the way they do the marsians are even better when they are totally incapable to do it.

This book was worth every krona. The flayer is a nice new addition and I hope we see more of him in books to come, his acting on the Echo when things aren't going as smooth as he would like is gold in it's purest form.

Nice to see Uzaz getting some time in the spotlight and not simply being the crazy guy on the bus. I have hopes that we will get some more of this on both Cyrion an Mercurian in Void Stalker

Shall we see, what can ADB improve then? Well me thinks he uses the same thing over and over again the vent cravling in this book was a bit to much in my opinion. Not that it happened all the time but still, it was overused.

The bleeding eye's another. I have always seen the raptor cult's as hunting birds, powerful, agile, lethal and even if they got some good scenes I more got the impression that the bleeding eye in many ways are what you would get if if Gollum and a goblin would mate "Yesyes master I go, I go now!" Stuff like that. But that's only my opinions, as I said above this book is worth every krona and i shall look forward to read the next one.

Having finally managed to pick it up, I'm absolutely loving this book, more so than Soul Hunter. That book was a warm-up, getting us introduced to the characters, the setting and the rivalries. This book fleshes it out. The characters have so much depth to them, and despite the fact of what they are, you actually feel sorry for some of them. "I wanted to be a hero, and look how that worked out..."

EDIT: Ok, having now finished the book (in what would have been one sitting, if I hadn't been interrupted to help buy groceries), I can only second the praise of the above posters. Damn this book was good.

Just finished the book and I was amazed at what a quick read it was. I purchased the E-Book so I can't say how many pages it was, but it took me about a fourth of the time to read it compared to a Horus Heresy novel. However, it was a good book that I would recommend to people. I've been a huge Night Lord fan since all the fluff about them in Chaos' 2E codex so it's nice to see them getting some proper love at the moment with LotN and now this series.

I have to say, I absolutely loved the Firefly reference with

Variel

on the bridge.

(The scene where Mal tells the gangster how it's going to go down with his boss, the gangster tells him to feth off, so Mal kicks him into a turbine. Mal turns to the guy immediately next to him and begins the exact same sentence and the guy accepts.)

And it may have just been me, but I really dug the

Necromunda slang

thrown in during the

flashbacks to Talos' childhood

I have to say, I absolutely loved the Firefly reference with

Variel

on the bridge.

(The scene where Mal tells the gangster how it's going to go down with his boss, the gangster tells him to feth off, so Mal kicks him into a turbine. Mal turns to the guy immediately next to him and begins the exact same sentence and the guy accepts.)

As much as I love Firefly, I can't take credit for the reference; I think it's just a common way Extremely Bad People behave, and an excellent way to make threats. I've seen it show up in mafia flicks too, etc. I wasn't thinking of any references when I did it, though I wish I had, as it'd make me look smarter now.

And it may have just been me, but I really dug the

Necromunda slang

thrown in during the

flashbacks to Talos' childhood

That, however, was totally intentional.

Just finished it. I really enjoyed Blood Reaver and agree with most that it is one of the best 40K books out there. Contrary to most middle volumes of trilogies I liked it even better than Soul Hunter.

I liked how those "far gone" seemed to get more control over the corrupting influences. And how (in the end) showed some of the nobility the legion may once have had. I guess that duality is what makes the 10th Company so interesting for me.

I'm not so sure if I like the typical grimdark epilogue though. While the 10th had their losses in the course of the novel it seemed that they came out ahead. And then we are hit with Talos's vision of 1st Claw's demise.

Since you seem to be following this thread A-D-B, I have to ask: Does the word Atramentar mean anything?

Will we hear about Fryga and how Variel came to be indebted to Talos in the next book?

Since you seem to be following this thread A-D-B, I have to ask: Does the word Atramentar mean anything?

I always thought it was just a play on the word atramentous (black, inky). Now if it means something in GrimDark, I couldn't tell you.

Ah, I didn't know that word. It makes sense though. But are those terminators actually darker or inkier than those in midnight clad? It's not like the Luna Wolves/Sons of Horus and the Justaerin, is it?

Archived