Blood Reaver

Ashe Darke

After finishing Blood Reaver a while ago (and knowing three other people irl who have also finished), all of us were left with the same question:

What purpose did the recovery of Malcharion at the end of BR serve, why was he spared, and why was it so significant to have that scene occur?

It was an integral part of the ending, obviously, and Talos certainly was written and invested into the scene with confusion, anger, misunderstanding and surprise ... but rather than (as an audience) being let in on what is going on, we were left in the dark. Why did Malek do what he did? What significance does it represent for the future? What significance does it hold in their past, with Malek withholding it? Why was Talos so confrontational with Deltrian?

Well...

...with The Exalted gone doesn't he seem like an ideal leader for the 10th now?

I doubt he'd accept it back, given his condition.

Stayed up most of the night reading this, and am about to read it again. You are fortunate that I'm fond of your work, AD-B, as I was wracked by indecision in the bookstore when faced with the choice between Blood Reaver and Steven Baxter's Ark in paperback, but in the end the Night Lords won out (through cheating, I think they'd have approved). :P

Well...

Didn't you mean

...with The Exalted Vandred gone doesn't he seem like an ideal leader for the 10th now?

Who knows what the Exalted will do in the next novel.

I finished this book the other day and it was enjoyable. I really like what was going on with Uzas and really look forward to his future in the storyline.

I just wish I did not read The Core beforehand, I should have staved the temptation to read it until after BR.

The ending has me enticed for another round, especially when considering the ending of The Core as well. I must also say that the author must have been pissed off when he wrote this. When i reread Blood Reaver, I am going to have a tally of how many times that word, and anything similar, came up just for kicks.

The ending has me enticed for another round, especially when considering the ending of The Core as well. I must also say that the author must have been pissed off when he wrote this. When i reread Blood Reaver, I am going to have a tally of how many times that word, and anything similar, came up just for kicks.

*snerk*

People have been remarking on it negatively, as if their right, but I actually dug the frequent use, even if it did call attention to itself on occasion. It served as a nice reminder that even the murky depths of Blood Reaver's darkest moments were written by the same guy that penned this.

*snerk*

People have been remarking on it negatively, as if their right, but I actually dug the frequent use, even if it did call attention to itself on occasion. It served as a nice reminder that even the murky depths of Blood Reaver's darkest moments were written by the same guy that penned this.

I just thought it was funny how many times it came up. Nothing more or less.

Sorry, man, didn't mean to implicate you in that post - I was referring to people earlier upthread (and on other forums I've seen). Your comment just made me giggle, so I wanted to give it an appropriate quote/nod.

Sorry, man, didn't mean to implicate you in that post - I was referring to people earlier upthread (and on other forums I've seen). Your comment just made me giggle, so I wanted to give it an appropriate quote/nod.

I gotcha, miscommunication on my part. Everyone is a critic and not all can be pleased (in regards towards the overuse of four letter p word)

I am not going to lie...I did have to look up 'snerk' recently. So it was either a laugh...or a small insect found on gorilla. :P

Quick question

was Variel in command of the bridge during The Core. I misplaced my copy and wanted to ask

Well...

Didn't you mean

...with The Exalted Vandred gone doesn't he seem like an ideal leader for the 10th now?

Who knows what the Exalted will do in the next novel.

Wouldn't the Exalted be banished for one-hundred years? Right before the suicidal ramming, Vandred finally gave up his fight versus the Daemon with only a moment before impact. The Exalted came too with enough time to realize he was screwed and screamed as the entire ship 'sploded.

Hushrong, no he wasn't. He was in the thick of the fighting

and lost a leg

, if my memory serves.

Wouldn't the Exalted be banished for one-hundred years? Right before the suicidal ramming, Vandred finally gave up his fight versus the Daemon with only a moment before impact. The Exalted came too with enough time to realize he was screwed and screamed as the entire ship 'sploded.

That's how I remember it as well. I just do not know whether the hundred years banishment is a 40K thing.

I searched the .pdf file of the novel, and piss, pissed, pissing (mostly variations, like "piss-weak" or "pissing clankers and their profit margins...") show up 15 times in 105,000 words.

Remember that "piss" is a relatively inoffensive swear word, and sometimes editorial will change my more colourful phrasing in favour of something less likely to annoy Little Timmy's parents if they see he's picked up a big boy book, when they thought it would be for kids.

I never noticed any repetetive use of a word or phrase in this novel. As a comparison, try reading a McNeil book and see how often the word "thunderous" comes up..

I searched the .pdf file of the novel, and piss, pissed, pissing (mostly variations, like "piss-weak" or "pissing clankers and their profit margins...") show up 15 times in 105,000 words.

Remember that "piss" is a relatively inoffensive swear word, and sometimes editorial will change my more colourful phrasing in favour of something less likely to annoy Little Timmy's parents if they see he's picked up a big boy book, when they thought it would be for kids.

Hehe. For my part, having commented on it earlier in the thread, I wasn't offended by it or anything. I just found it a bit out of place, kinda jarred with the rest of the novel to me.

Anyhoo, tis only a small thing though, and I still reckon Blood Reaver is one of the best, if not the best novel that BL have published to date.

What I wonder is (and I am not sure if A D-B can answer this question now), will "Void Stalker" be the definite conclusion of the Night Lords series, or will there be other Night Lords novels in the series afterwards, with the series continuing on? I can understand why an answer to this question may not be forthcoming (especially if it reveals major spoilers), but it would be very interesting to speculate on whether or not the series were intended as a trilogy, or if they could become an ongoing project, similar to Gaunt's Ghosts, Ultramarines, and Soul Drinkers series.

What I wonder is (and I am not sure if A D-B can answer this question now), will "Void Stalker" be the definite conclusion of the Night Lords series, or will there be other Night Lords novels in the series afterwards, with the series continuing on? I can understand why an answer to this question may not be forthcoming (especially if it reveals major spoilers), but it would be very interesting to speculate on whether or not the series were intended as a trilogy, or if they could become an ongoing project, similar to Gaunt's Ghosts, Ultramarines, and Soul Drinkers series.

According to The Man Himself during his interview with the Overlords, the original intention was 6 Night Lords novels, and if schedule permits the latter 3 may come into existence at some point.

http://aarondembskibowden.wordpress.com/20...-the-overlords/

"What that little timmy?"

"The main character fed a man his eyes?"

"That's fine son, he probably desevred it."

"Oh he swore too?"

*proceeds to make a big fuss.*

Makes me laugh. Censorship.

My whinge was the pissing water from a dead ship thing or blood from a neck. Only cause it jarred me from the story. Not from offence, just odd usage to me.

Also I just read Dan Abnett Embedded, he swears up a treat in that. Makes me wonder how much better these BL novels could be with a bit more cursing..

Censorship, Bag of Suck.

Well it is quite suspicious that

Vandred was called "Void stalker" several times before his "death". I think he somehow managed to survive and we will see him in next novel....

Well it is quite suspicious that

Vandred was called "Void stalker" several times before his "death". I think he somehow managed to survive and we will see him in next novel....

Or it could be something to do with one of these

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Void_Stalker

What with this all building up to a conflict with the Eldar I imagine it's this.

"What that little timmy?"

"The main character fed a man his eyes?"

"That's fine son, he probably desevred it."

"Oh he swore too?"

*proceeds to make a big fuss.*

Makes me laugh. Censorship.

My whinge was the pissing water from a dead ship thing or blood from a neck. Only cause it jarred me from the story. Not from offence, just odd usage to me.

Also I just read Dan Abnett Embedded, he swears up a treat in that. Makes me wonder how much better these BL novels could be with a bit more cursing..

Censorship, Bag of Suck.

:lol: :lol:

According to The Man Himself during his interview with the Overlords, the original intention was 6 Night Lords novels, and if schedule permits the latter 3 may come into existence at some point.

http://aarondembskibowden.wordpress.com/20...-the-overlords/

I'd like to throw my vote in there for another trilogy. I know it'd be some time (years) before that could happen but the first book of a new NL trilogy to coincide with the release of the original in Omnibus form sounds like smart marketing to me!

Variel is swiftly becoming my favourite member of First Claw, even surpassing the mighty Xarl (Heresy!). Mainly because he is a Red Corsair-which is self explanatory-but his reasons for the betrayel of his warband and his history with Talos are intriguing. I'm looking forward to seeing his story develop.

Also, without giving too much away (I fail at figuring out how to use the spoiler button), Uzas generally surprised me. I thought we would be seeing his swansong a few chapters in.

Archived