Firepower VS GK

DerekLee688

Which are the best long range weapon to use on the various GK horrors to be inflicted on C:SM: Autocannons, ML, or Lascannons?

Or more specificly Combi-preds vs. Riflemen vs. Typhoons.

As I underdstand:

Typhoon kraks will defeat PAGK 3+ save but not terminators, not as acurate as Rifleman, most expensive, is ALOT more vulnerable than either of the other two due to S5 storm bolter ammo, Army wide storm bolters in general, and psycannons on relentless terminators and the like.

Riflemen are the most acurate, most survivable, but don't have the AP to get through the many saves available to the GK army or S8 to cause ID on 2W characters.

Combi-pred: Shares number of high S shots with Rifleman and most AP2 shots but is the least mobile of the lot.

From what I've seen and heard of the Codex, it would appear that their statlines are similar to Marines or Guard, depending on the unit. Therefore, treat them like Marines.

There will, of course, be some differences. Take Paladins, 2 wound Terminators, possibly with FnP. In this instance plasma weapons will be less valuable than ID weaponry, such as meltaguns or the demo cannon. Krak missiles may now be favoured over frag for the ability to ID, despite a 2+ save.

Vehicles will largely be the same, so autocannons and Typhoons for Rhinos, missile launchers and lascannons for Storm Ravens, melta for Land Raiders. The Dread Knight is basically an MC with a 2+ save I believe, so unfortunately kraks will struggle. In this case plasma, hellfire, melta, lascannons and autocannons will be good for easy wounding and/or ignoring armour saves, the others relying on weight of wounds.

Honestly, we're not going to know too much until the new Codex comes out. Only when we see what they can do will we be able to take them out properly.

Take what I say here with a grain of salt...being that all of what I've seen so far (in the black box) is subject to change.

Paladins with 2 wounds and individual customization open up a new option for GK...which is a Nob-like wound allocation game. This will be restricted a great deal, as each paladin is *very* expensive (with even on upgrade each model will be like 70ish points) so barring some free weapon exchanges/upgrades, we're not going to see a seven paladin-strong unit with wound allocation bouncing. Not and really worry about it anyway, as it'll necessarily be a 500-600 point sink unit that's on foot. (At present they can't take teleporters.)

DarkGuard's right: they're MEQ. Massed bolterfire and plasma will rule the day here. Plasma is also a great way to deal with the Dreadknight (which I don't recall having an invunlerable save at all). 2+ save and T7...it's a big Mephiston that can't get a cover save ever (because it's an MC and it's absolutely massive). Not nearly as scary as it first appeared.

Bottom line is stay out of assault unless you are SURE you have the upperhand. They are built to casually mulch you in melee.

Dreadknights have the same armour and invulnerable as Terminator armour. Still plasma is a good option here as it is the same toughness as a Trygon, and just as hard to get a cover save.

Not sure if you count it as long range (at 30" effective, or 36" effective if you are BA), but the trusty Vindicator will work well against anything the new GK codex can bring. Expensive SR's, Dreadknights and LR's are easy to hit. Everything power armoured or terminator armoured is more expensive than your counterpart in C:SM, so it only gets better. If Paladins show up with an apothecary you'll be laughing all the way to the bank. Keep them behind cover until ready to strike, then use dozer blades to get through.

Typhoons will be good on anything bar terminators but keep them outside of SB and Psycannon range, which is the same as a boltgun. You have double that so use it, as range is the greatest armour you can get.

Archived