++The Enclave WIP++

NemFX

Hello fellow groundpounders.

I have been part of this hobby for probably somewhere around 15 years. I am also very bad when it comes to procrastinating, so this is my attempt at fixing that.

I have been slowly developing an idea for the last year to get me heavily back into 40k. Instead of the frankly pretty dumb missions in 5th edition where space marine players get curb stomped easily, the idea is to get back to the epic wars that characterized 2nd and 3rd edition.

My army was started about two years ago, but I lost steam when the gaming stores near me closed down. I plan to finish this army and ideally get back into the game. If I can manage it, I hope to update this log with art, fluff, modelling stuff, and painting. I suck at painting, so hopefully I'll get better at that in the process.

I'll get into the specifics of it all in a little while, but here's the basic story that I'll expand on, over time. (pretend Orson Wells or Morgan Freeman is reading this for extra dramatic effect)

The second age of strife.

This is a time of darkness for mankind.

Early into the fourty-second millenium the calamity that would cost so many lives began.

A single candle in the darkness provides hope as well as light. Humanity, such as it was, followed the light of a man known only as the Emperor. His conquests in ages past have since become as legendary as he is. What most of his followers, however, did not know was that the Emperor no longer walked among his people. Had not. Could not. For the better part of twenty thousand years the entity that once was the Emperor was the eye of a horrific storm.

Back, at the height of his galactic conquests, the Emperor was slowly reintroduced to his lost sons. True, the Emperor had fathered other children, but the twenty one primarchs; genetically engineered super beings and each a legend in his and her own right. This, of course, is public knowledge. That half of his primarchs turned traitorous is also public knowledge. They rallied around Horus, the Emperor's champion and favoured son. The reasons why have been debated by scholars ever since.

What most of the Imperium didn't know, however, was just how close Horus had come to winning.

In the epic battle between Horus and the Emperor; Horus had severed the Emperor's left arm and used it to tear apart the left half of his face. It was then that the Emperor struck back. Summoning his vast psychic might, the Emperor obliterated Horus's very soul.

Finally succumbing to his physical injuries, the Emperor fell down the stairs from Horus's command throne to lay beside his other fallen son. Sanguinius had also tried to defeat Horus, but had underestimated Horus's strength and corruption.

Mere moments later Rogal Dorn, primarch of the Imperial Fists, recovered the Emperor's body and interred it in the golden throne. Though his physical form is nearly dead, as long as his spirit holds on, then humanity has a chance.

Twenty thousand years later, the candle flickers.

The Emperor, humanity's greatest leader, warrior, psyker, remains in the golden throne. The enemies gather at humanities gates. They rally and encroach, each time growing more bold and ferrocious.

Then, on one fateful day, one black day..

The forces of Chaos lept from the Maelstrom.

Daemonic spacecraft, traitorous marines, gibbering horrors.. Mutants all.

Led to war by Horus's successor Abaddon, at the helm of the rebuilt Planet Killer, noble Cadia was torn asunder.

Thus the second age of strife began.

Huh. Guess the B&C is quiet today.

I should probably get into some background for the chapter. I'll do a proper update later on tonight, so here's the basics.

Name: The Enclave.

Founding chapter: All. (will be expanded upon below)

Founding: Unknown. Presumed to be before Second Founding.

Chapter master: Currently determining trials to select a replacement.

Homeworld: Unknown, nicknamed 'Wasteland' by chapter.

Fortress monastery: Colusa base. Not officially a fortress monastery, but is the largest Enclave encampment, and one of the few permanent structures.

Main colour(s): Black.

Chapter symbol: A white, five pointed star on a field of black, with a black E in the center.

Speciality: Tactical flexability, air superiority, steady relentless advancement.

Battlecry: Unknown.

Estimated strength: Rarely above half the strength of an average chapter.

Recruitment planet: The Enclave recruits disenfranchised marines from other chapters, infrequently from the Wasteland.

The Enclave

The Enclave is a chapter that was made during the Great Crusade as a sort of genetic 'time capsule'

Originally the Enclave only numbered twenty marines. It was said that the Emperor himself hand picked one marine from each of his twenty legions and had them sealed within a stasis capsule. Though the records are ancient, and dubious at best, it was said that the capsules were loaded onto a small ship and sent into the warp.

While that part of their history is an interesting myth to be debated, their reintroduction has been well documented. A ship fell out of the warp in the Segmentum Obscura in 972.M41. Bearing the ancient markings of the Emperor rampant, the thunderbolt, it was first interpreted to be a threat; a boobytrapped ship or something of the like. After incredible inquisitorial and mechanius scrutiny, it was eventually decreed that the ship and crew were exactly what they appeared to be. Relics out of time.

The twenty marines were incredibly scrutinized for months, trying to fill in any blanks in imperial history, but their knowledge was limited. The surviving records did not show the twenty to be of any particular significance to their founding chapters; each appearing to just be line troopers of fairly average standing. Though the Great Crusade was a very important time for mankind, the marines had very little technical knowledge for the Mechanicus and even less for the Inquisition.

When the Inquisition attempted to have the twenty marines put on trial, and announced that the marines who came from chapters that had later fallen to Chaos would be summarily executed, the marines escaped from their custody and stole a small freighter. Jumping back into the warp blindly, they were astounded at how violent and unpredictable it had become in the twenty thousand years since they had seen it last.

Making an emergency escape, the ship crashlanded on a small desert world that they halfheartedly named Wasteland, for lack of an official designantion. It is here that they acessed the ship's historical data and learned what had become of the Imperium of man. It was here they were reborn of purpose. It was here that they would make their final stand against Chaos.

Art / model update later tonight.

Due to camera related problems, and Derth's apparent blurring field, the best pict-steal I managed to get was from a webcam. Hope that's okay until I get this thing sorted..

Dorn: Glad to see someone's watching, two hundred plus viewers and only one comment.. Forgot how quiet the B&C gets without pictures ^_^

gallery_21363_3463_10610.png

How are you going to show those 20 marines in your army? Will the become sergeants or HQ's? <_<

The background is quite interesting, I'll be following this how you'll work this out.

How are you going to show those 20 marines in your army? Will the become sergeants or HQ's? ;)

Huh. That's a good question. I imagine that since they were found, there would have been loosely 500 years minimum, so most would have gotten killed (seriously, fluff makes marines dying either happen ALL the time, or NEVER) but I imagine after 500 years, that most would be dead for one reason or another. Their geneseed would be implanted in new marines who would still bear the original heraldry. So, that would make them just line troopers.

My Enclave doesn't exactly have a traditional HQ.. The marines tend to give up their chapter heraldry when they are promoted to captain, and are renamed. As such, there are currently two captains of the Enclave; the defensive captain Sigma, and the offensive captain Lambada. (yeah yeah i know its Lambda, but that sounds wrong to my ears, so he gets to have the name that is also a dance.)

That all said, the captains are not the main leader of the Enclave. He will be revealed eventually, but not yet.

Going to try and do another update later tonight if my cam is willing to work.

Nice idea, but I have a couple of bugbears...

"Twenty-One Primarchs" ? Last time I looked there were only 20.

Also it's only been 10 thousand years since the Heresy, which as I remember started a few hundred years after the Emperor united Terra, created the Primarchs and subsequently created the Legions.

Besides that I am looking forward to seeing where you take this idea :lol:

The math is correct; twenty legions, twenty one primarchs. The Alpha Legion was led by Alpharius and Omegon, one soul in two bodies.

As for the years thing.. Yeah. That I might be wrong on. Timelines are confusing. They aren't even lines. They are circles. That is why clocks are round.

Oh well, ideally an update tomorrow, waiting on a few answers and stuff.

Okay. Starting to think my marines are causing the blurring field. Tried with two different cameras, using the tips of the B&C photography guide, and it's still blurry. Might be the light bouncing off the silver paint.. Any suggestions would be good, hate to make the Legion of the Blurry Pictures.

Inspired by Brother Melice's army, go check out his stuff! Sons of Gorgon

gallery_21363_3463_188591.png

Totally not my fault. My Enclave army totally have stealth fields that they didn't remember to turn off.

He has a standard bolt pistol from the current tactical squad, and an old plague marine bolter from 2nd or 3rd edition, his arms are the chaos tank hatch gunner arms. Is it just me, or does the art side look really streaky and crap? It looked fine on the other computer, but this one has a better monitor..

Edit: yeah, stupid monitor wasnt helping when i was colouring it, fixed it.

I actually designed a nicer looking alternative to the StormUgl.. er. stormraven. the idea was that it was going to be the vehicle between the stormraven and the thunderhawk. so yeah, let's do this all neat:

The StormHawk.

Capable of orbital insertion, the StormHawk fills the need of the Enclave by transporting troops, light tanks, and supplies from orbit to the planet's surface. Capable of holding one rhino in it's belly and one in magnetic grapples underneath it's tail, or twenty marines in an optional transport pod. While not intended for front line combat, it mounts a twin linked assault cannon to deal with any airborn threats and a small collection of bombs for ground based enemies. While certainly more agile than it's aging forefather, the Thunderhawk, the StormHawk has been generally looked over as a replacement due to it's inability to transport Land Raider variants entirely. While resolute and effective, the StormHawk's time has not yet come.

..mostly because the plasticard i got was crap. split every time i tried to cut it. so yes, they will have something like that eventually, but for now i might have to get that ugly flyer instead..

the enclave ARE going to have helicopter styled land speeder stand ins though.

i found these really perfect scaled vehicles on sale in a costume store of all places, so i scooped up nine for less than a single land speeder. might just make them all have two heavy bolters.. that'd really give me some air supremacy. i just need to find out where i can get the 60mm bases since they dont seem to sell them alone anymore..

the better picture of garvul is up now, i accidently uploaded the incomplete one the first time.

Okay. Great news on the Enclave front.

Tomorrow I should be able to get the StormUgl.. StormRaven. And start the vertibird conversion.

Should I go for the classic Fallout 2 era vertibird with six rotor blades? Or the Fallout 3 era vertibird with four rotor blades?

Also today, i got a cell phone. With a nice new camera built in. And it appears to work great for taking pictures of my marines. Updated pictures tomorrow? Why yes.

Okay. Text post for now.

Camera situation is frustrating. The cellphone camera takes great pictures. The problem? Cant figure out how to connect the damned thing so I can get at them. The instruction book for the thing is a joke, so I'll probably trade it in for something easier to understand. How hard is it to get basic stuff to work on a phone?

Stormraven has been bought. Damn those things are tiny. Already about a third of the way done the conversion. I'm going to extend the fuselage by about 2 inches, I'll try to photodocument it and make templates cause there's a major lack of them online right now. The stormraven will now be referred to as the vertibird.

The vertibird will have the 4 bladed rotors of the Fallout 3 era vertibird gunship, as the fallout 2 one was mostly just for transport. It will be equipped with a twin linked multimelta (in the fan-standard searchlight spot) with a twin linked lazcannon (scratchbuilt) enclave/fallout style addons and whatnot. i'm ditching the dorsal turret and air intake, they look clunky and dumb. also not bothering with the hurricane bolters, again, these things make a decent model suffer.

the stormraven as a model.. is way too small. seriously. i could let it slide with holding 6 marines, but double that? sorry, no, too small. the thing looks like it shouldnt be able to realistically do most of the stuff its supposed to.

i'll dedicate tomorrow to trying to fix the camera issue, and see about getting the vertibird's extension built.

also got some artwork done for the next marine, so he should be all painted up tomorrow as well.

Vertibird update:

med_gallery_21363_5940_839703.jpg

The fuselage will be extended by about 2 inches, and there's the fan-standard multimelta searchlight.

med_gallery_21363_5940_379067.jpg

The dorsal turret and airtake are removed, the lazcannons will be moved to the sides of the pilot cockpit.

med_gallery_21363_5940_1393579.jpg

The tail of the original stormraven is just horrible.

med_gallery_21363_5940_930767.jpg

Aside from being an overall better design, the tail is now more similar to the original Fallout 2 era vertibird tail, just needs some rounding work.

med_gallery_21363_5940_58931.jpg

Work on the rotors is slow and tricky. Not even sure how I'm attaching these to the main body yet..

I look forward to what you come with for the Vertibird. First time seeing one of those in Fallout 3 was a rather intense moment. You spend the first part of the game looking down, dealing with what is put on the ground before you. And then suddenly these guys show up, with airships and Power Armor :) Oo?

So yeah, I'll follow this now and be patient ^^

Very much looking forward to the vertibird, to be honest I've always wondered why the connection between fallout and 40k was never made, far as i'm concerned Fallout could very well be the past of the 40k universe, or an alternate one perhaps. That said, most people probably wouldn't go there in case of copyright infringement or somesuch O.o

But yeah...power armour, plasmaguns, powerfists, thunder hammers (super sledges), power swords (Jingwei's shocksword) the brotherhood is so like a space amrine chapter it's like...weird o.O

power armour, plasmaguns, powerfists, thunder hammers, power swords

Most of those things are sci fi staples at this point, but I can see what you mean.

I'll try to get some work done on the vertibird this week, just bogged down with irl stuff. I get to go to the doctor to see which needles I need for school. Not fun.

But in the meantime I've been making the ultimate Enclave razorback and I finally got bases for my land speeder proxies, so should have something to show you all soon B)

Tune in later tonight as I show you the simplest way to elongate a Stormhawk.

Pictures for exactly the lengths I use, and the very frustrating story of why this thing is taking so long.

(still don't have a better camera yet. sorry. but hey, you'll be getting the most effortless blueprints you will ever see.)

As soon as I can somehow figure it all out, you will.

But for now.. Pictures!

Here's where I took a drill to the StormRaven. I worked with the smallest bit and worked up to the 1/8. This depends on what screws your using. If you aren't using screws you can skip this part. I just wanted it to have extra stability and a lesser chance of it breaking.

gallery_21363_5940_361000.jpg

gallery_21363_5940_733817.jpg

gallery_21363_5940_225739.jpg

gallery_21363_5940_459133.jpg

Okay, this is about as self explanitory as I can make it. The control is your average popsicle stick. All the rest of them have been cut by hacksaw, and I can't stress that you should do those kinds of cuts slowly.

gallery_21363_5940_18271.jpg

gallery_21363_5940_290814.jpg

gallery_21363_5940_839750.jpg

As you can see, I accidently broke one. Might replace it, might not, we'll see. Anyway, that was the first of two moments which made me swear. The other, if you can do math, involves the ammount of plastic parts I got for this. You might have noticed, which makes you more attentive than me. 8 nuts, 6 bolts. I had to write down these numbers on a bag to buy them. I should have probably noticed. I really really should have. I did not. So I have to go shop for more sometime this week, so I will have to make this a two parter, at least.

Part 1: Internal Structuring

Part 2: External Panelling

Part 3: Neat looking crap that probably doesn't do anything

I'll bolt this thing together as much as I can for the moment, and take a picture or two, but hopefully this helps inspire some of you who might not have known how to do this kind of conversion. I kept the cost pretty low (less than 5$ Canadian so far) so you know, no excuses ;)

Edit: Okay, smaller pictures. Also got two metal bolts from my dad to finish this part today. Will try to knock this thing's basic structure together tonight, and take pictures tomorrow when the glue dries. I plan to use two part epoxy to hold the sticks to the plastic, and the nuts/bolts are extra reenforcement. The tail end.. I don't entirely know how I'm attaching that yet. Any ideas would be welcome.

Archived