The Normish's Doom Guard WIP

The Normish

Well, everyone, the hobbyist's cycle comes full circle yet again. I have put away my previous projects (oh, my beautiful money) to one day be rediscovered and stripped. Then perhaps I will make good work of them.

So, in the meantime, I used all of my accumulated birthday money to treat myself to a little army project:

-1 Space Marine Captain

-1 Space Marine Vindicator

-2 Space Marine Predators

-2 Space Marine Tactical Squads

-3 Space Marine Scout Squads

So you see, a plentiful bounty of Space Marines. I have decided to mainly do updates of painting and things, since I don't do too many whacked-out conversions. But first I'll show you what I've got:

gallery_50723_4325_108709.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_705585.jpg

Here's the Captain:

gallery_50723_4325_157.jpg

Poor picture quality, but he's resting his Thunderhammer head on the ground while aiming his bolt pistol. Yes, it is the same Captain I've been making endless versions of until I find the right one. Could this be it?

gallery_50723_4325_304102.jpg

The Vindicator. I'm unsure as to what it should be named, but it should be something suitably destructive-sounding. I quite like the commander, whose waving his chainsword around in the air ("drive me closer", anyone?). I may make him an optional Brother-Sergeant Chronus if I feel like making him a foot model.

gallery_50723_4325_53829.jpg

The two Predator Annihilators (or is it Destructors?). I plan to have a third one with all the Lascannon options, to form a Spearhead formation. These two will be called Pompeii and Gracchus, and third will be Caesar. Note how they are uniform in appearance.

gallery_50723_4325_438471.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_213851.jpg

The first squad I built. I elected to make every marine unique in his appearance (I feel that all my marines so far were lacking in personality), so I did quite few more conversions this time around than I am used to. I quite like the second guy from the left in the second row, he's got his hand sort of fanned out like he's gesturing for silence (can't really see it from this angle, unfortunately).

gallery_50723_4325_746787.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_42025.jpg

The second tactical squad. I spent a long time trying to find a way to make some of these guys unique (you run out of ideas and bitz fairly quickly). I did my first leg re-posing (fourth from left, first row), although my particular favorite is an apprentice Techmarine still serving with his squad until he's accepted full-time and sent to Mars for formal training. He's the third from the left in the second row. You can sort of see the cabling I put on him as well as the small mechadendrite, which I made from that chainsaw arm from the Imperial Guard Sentinel.

gallery_50723_4325_64089.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_272781.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_397473.jpg

The three scout squads. They're only five-man at the moment, and I was planning on equipping one with shotguns and the other two with bolters, but I ran out of arms, somehow. The middle guy in the first squad is my counts-as Sergeant Telion, so I denoted him with a stalker-pattern bolter and double shoulder pads, for emphasis. For the scouts I had an interesting painting idea, to color their fatigues in a manner that makes them seem tinted to their squad number. That is, squad one would have white-tinted fatigues, squad two yellow-tinted ones, et cetera.

I was also hoping to paint something on the Tactical Marines to differentiate squads, put numbers are taken by Company numbers and the pauldrons are taken by squad type and Chapter badge.

Well, that's it for now. I'll give you updates from time to time.

Nice conversions and a good sized army. What colour scheme are you going for?

Keep up the great work.

Vulkan

Well I was going for my good old Doom Guard scheme, which I have around here somewhere...

gallery_50723_4325_2938.jpg

There we go. I am looking into how to improve my painting though.

• 1 month later...

So, here's the first thing I've painted in a few months. I'm quite happy with it, as I've tried putting more focus into detail and I used some washes to add depth and color to the model. Unfortunately the part I wanted to show you, that is mainly the helmet (to illustrate my use of washes), is on the blurry picture (always one comes out blurry). However, you can sort of see how I operated on the power fist in a similar manner.

Also, this guy is my Assault Sergeant (I went without jump packs for once - I imagine I'll get his squad a Rhino one day), named Sergai Titus. I'll be naming each of my Marines for added character. I don't have that many in my current force, so that won't be so bad.

gallery_50723_4325_290306.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_28445.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_523126.jpg

Also you'll note that his backpack is in fact black, instead of red. I'm trying it out like that to see if I prefer it (for some reason red backpack didn't appeal to me when I started). Opinions welcome on whether I should paint it red or not.

Hi there, just wanted to say i really like the commander. Its refreshing to see a beaky boy in charge for once, and i think the look really works

Also as a throwaway suggestion, how about naming the vindicator "Vesuvius". Goes with the theme of the other tanks.

Black backpack works much better I think, though that gold would really really benefit from some Gryphonne Sepia and Devlan Mud painted carefully in the shadows and recesses.

Well, for the gold I usually do Shining Gold, Dwarf Bronze, Shining Gold, and then wash it with Badab Black. I let that sink into the recesses on its own, and it looks pretty good in actuality.

Hi there, just wanted to say i really like the commander. Its refreshing to see a beaky boy in charge for once, and i think the look really works

Also as a throwaway suggestion, how about naming the vindicator "Vesuvius". Goes with the theme of the other tanks.

Yeah, I always like the Mk. 6 helmets myself. I just need to get him looking right is all.

I'll think about using "Vesuvius", but it seems a tad predictable. Then again, what are Vindicators if not predictable?

Looking good brother! Can we get a clearer frontal pic?

Actually, I'll upload a couple more pictures today, I've got a scout painted. So I'll include a clearer frontal view.

Alright, here's a couple of different pictures of the Assault sergeant.

With flash:

gallery_50723_4325_245180.jpg

Without flash:

gallery_50723_4325_158910.jpg

From the side:

gallery_50723_4325_308309.jpg

Although I can't seem to get any good photos somehow. I thin having to zoom in on the front to get the details impairs detail capture.

Here are the rest of the Assault Marines:

gallery_50723_4325_403214.jpggallery_50723_4325_355565.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_226775.jpggallery_50723_4325_68366.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_273765.jpggallery_50723_4325_227634.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_317419.jpggallery_50723_4325_698371.jpg

Now that I think about it, I should have taken a line photo like I did with my tactical squads. Oh well.

Here are some modifications I did to two Scout sergeants:

gallery_50723_4325_38581.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_728902.jpg

And here's the scout I painted up, name of Ludovic Kral:

gallery_50723_4325_573157.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_623644.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_99363.jpg

I'm not too happy with his fatigues, and while I'm content with his face, you can't see it because of the aforementioned issues with frontal photos.

Here we have an objective marker. This will be on some sort of pillar or altar. The ball is a globe or magical orb of some sort.

gallery_50723_4325_388644.jpg

I'll conclude with the Chaplain, who keeps falling off of his base.

gallery_50723_4325_234454.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_511484.jpg

Top tip for steady photos, don't hold the camera! If you have a tripod, use that, if not, blu-tack your camera to something sturdy, like a big book, and take photos like that. For added non-shakyness, if your camera has a timer feature use that too.

Any movement you can eliminate will result in a clearer picture.

Top tip for steady photos, don't hold the camera! If you have a tripod, use that, if not, blu-tack your camera to something sturdy, like a big book, and take photos like that. For added non-shakyness, if your camera has a timer feature use that too.

Any movement you can eliminate will result in a clearer picture.

I don't think it's shakiness so much as zoom.

No, the blurryness in almost all of those shots is down to the camera moving just a tiny amount as you take the shot (it could even be the motion of you pushing the button that's putting it off). I'm not a photography Guru by any means, but I do have a bachelors degree in it and can quite clearly see the blurred exposure you're getting there.

Honestly, a static camera will solve about 90% of your problems with those particular photos.

Archived