Opened Topped..

Nassi

When a marine firews out a rhino, the rhino counts as open topped for the rest of that turn, but i have a vague memory of reading that power-armour negates open topped, meaning that an open-topped vehicle crewed by power armour marines isnt open topped.

Is that correct, or did i make it up?

I'm pretty sure both of these are 4th Edition rules.

If you shoot out of the fire point of any vehicle, it no longer counts as open-topped (even Guard firing out of a Chimera, for example).

If you shoot out of the fire point of any vehicle, it no longer counts as open-topped (even Guard firing out of a Chimera, for example).

Do you mean, "If it shoots out of a vehicle it counts as open topped"? Or do you really mean that it no longer counts as open topped? It would seem odd that a Rhino would "no longer" count as open topped if passengers shot out of it, since it isn't open topped anyway, and why on earth would it be driving around with the hatch open but noone shooting out of it?

As for the OP's question, as far as I can see in the rulebook, there is no rule that states that a vehicle becomes open-topped if a passenger shoots from it.

Do you mean, "If it shoots out of a vehicle it counts as open topped"? Or do you really mean that it no longer counts as open topped? It would seem odd that a Rhino would "no longer" count as open topped if passengers shot out of it, since it isn't open topped anyway, and why on earth would it be driving around with the hatch open but noone shooting out of it?

As for the OP's question, as far as I can see in the rulebook, there is no rule that states that a vehicle becomes open-topped if a passenger shoots from it.

He's referring the change from 4th Ed rules, whereby a vehicle with fire points would be open topped if you fired out of it (some exceptions), to the 5th Ed rules where this rule no longer applies, hence vehicles no longer count as open-topped if fired out of.

Of course, for those vehicles that are inherently open-topped (LSS, DE Raiders etc) they will always count as open-topped unless another rule says otherwise, but those vehicles that have fire points not longer count as open-topped if you fire out of them.

He's referring the change from 4th Ed rules, whereby a vehicle with fire points would be open topped if you fired out of it (some exceptions), to the 5th Ed rules where this rule no longer applies, hence vehicles no longer count as open-topped if fired out of.

Oh aye, I understand that aspect. It was just the way he worded it seemed to imply that if it's not open topped and had a fire point, then it would only be open topped if you actually fired from the fire point, as if the tank could be driving around with it's hatch open just because the troopers inside wanted some fresh air or something, but no-one was shooting out of it. Never mind though, it's probably just something lost in translation (between what is typed and what is read) and isn't a big deal. No harm done, all is well.

Archived