Mordaci Blaylock

Thought I'd share another WIP with everyone in the hopes of getting some feedback on it as this is the first time I've painted a quartered colour scheme:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Mordaci%20Blaylock/MordaciBlaylock1.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Mordaci%20Blaylock/MordaciBlaylock2.jpg

He's still fairly early on in the painting process I'm afraid although I'm now starting to pick out details like the purity seals and stuff.

cheers

James

Thanks for the comments everyone,

I think the helmet could use some work, but the rest is fantastic.

Ha Ha, thanks MagicMan :D. I'm not 100% decided on a head for him yet as the fluff for the Novamarines in IA10 says that one of the things they retain from the culture of their recruiting planet is the practice of tattooing their life stories onto their bodies. As his head will be the only part that's visible and Blaylock is a 400 year veteran of the Chapter I want to try to show the tattooing on his head. I was also thinking about adding some 'squiggly lines' to his armour in a few places as well, since his armour is an extension of this body.

Thanks guys :lol:

@ KhornateKiller: I've decided to try and paint more neatly than I have done in the past. It takes longer but ultimately makes detailing easier I think, so I'm glad everything looks nice, crisp and clean.... means it's working :devil:.

@ Crazy Eight: Cheers, Mordaci's fluff says that he cares not for the trappings of glory, this seemed to be a nice trade off between him being unornamented and wearing the 'badges' of his rank as 1st Co. Captain. I've butchered two SH termies now, but not before sourcing and buying replacements for them :), one day I'll get the set painted up....

@ Firepower: thanks mate. I'm sure there's room for improvement in there though :).

@ SCC: I really like split schemes too, although the only one I've painted before is for the Eagle Warriors. The quartering was a bit daunting to start with although the robe on this mini helps out slightly so I just figured if I kept it nice and neat and layered the paint up carefully it be ok and thankfully it has been.

@ OXIDE: Thanks Brother, I'm afraid this is a standalone conversion. It all started because I really liked the Mordaci's fluff in IA10 but I knew it was unlikely there would ever be a model made. It became a sort of personal challenge I guess, to convert a mini worthy of his fluff and character an then paint it up.

cheers

James

Novamarines (hell, any quartered colour scheme, howling griffons, whatever), HAVE to be done with crisp colour and very neat and clear definition between the different colours. That is honestly the best definition of how it should be done I've seen mate, very well done!

Thankyou for all the comments guys, feedback is one of the things that helps me drive projects like this. Small update this evening, the cream areas are all highlighted up and I've done a bit more layering on the robe. I've also made a start on some of the silver details and finished up the stormbolter's casing. Next up is figuring out the mixes for highlighting the blue :)

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Mordaci%20Blaylock/MordaciBlaylock4.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Mordaci%20Blaylock/MordaciBlaylock3.jpg

cheers

James

That looks really cool. The white/bone is really nice, but imo the blue looks a little flat. Perhaps a touch more shading/highlighting? Unless it's just that the pictures don't show it up.

I was thinking of Novamarines as a possible next chapter, after my Exorcists project, as the colours aren't like either of my other two chapters, and the scheme is a bit more interesting. My question to you is where did you get the shoulder pad with the Novamarines icon from? Is it homemade moulded, or a part?

Thankyou for all your comments

@ Iron Father Rik: Thanks, although the blue's a bit flat as I've not started highlighting it up yet :ermm:. The Novamarines symbol was made from a couple of pieces of FW brass etch, left over from a previous project. It was a bit of a pain in the backside to make and fix in place. For all that this one looks ok, I'd highly recomment downloading some Novamarine decals, or I think a few FW resin shoulder pads might be adaptable if you're happy sculpting. If you'd like more info on this one though, let me know an I'll tell you how I went about it :)

@ Legio Draconis: thanks Brother :), I'll try and keep the updates coming steadily.

@ small victory: If you're finding cream a pain (and it is a pain), have you tried involving Dheneb Stone? It needs thinning to get it to go on smooth, but as a Foundation it can take quite a bit of diluting and cover darker colours pretty well too. The cream on Mordaci was layered up as follows:

>Hycote Grey Primer

>Badab Black Wash

>Codex Grey

>Dheneb Stone

>Dheneb Stone/Skull White (50/50)*

>Pure Skull White*

*these two layers were applied more as edge highlights.

As for the blue areas, I haven't 100% settled on how I'm gonna do that yet, so I think I'll work up some of the details and see what happens :)

@ Cold Fire: ummm, steady hands? No actually, although they do help (mine can be kinda unsteady at times) I'd recommend working out where your split's gonna be then when you're painting on the first colour, overlap the split point slightly. Then when you put on the second colour paint to where the split actually is, (I hope this makes sense, I can try an work something up in paint to illustrate it if you like) keep it nice and steady and you should end up with a crisp colour divide :)

@ Master Ciaphas: The Badab War, now it's been fleshed out is fantastic. Quite possibly one of the most preventable, tragic, dirty, unfair and pointlessly draining conflicts that the Imperium has fought against itself. That's the point obviously, but it is quite enlightening to see how the Imperium is so close to falling due to it's own pettyness and inflexibility. Not only that but it was an Astartes war so there is so much to explore for us power armour fans :). I'm only dipping into a few areas of it just now, but like the Horus Heresy thousands of years before it, it's fast becoming one of my favourite 'stories' from the 40k universe. Oh and thanks for the compliments on Blaylock!:)

Quick photo update:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Mordaci%20Blaylock/MordaciBlaylock5.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Mordaci%20Blaylock/MordaciBlaylock6.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Mordaci%20Blaylock/MordaciBlaylock7.jpg

(please note, this isn't Mordacai's actual head, just one I had lying around that I though I'd add to give a more accurate impression of how he might look when he's finished)

I'm thinking that the blue might need one more layer of highlighting on the upper edges as it's a bit muted just now...

cheers

James

Archived