Founding Help, 13th or 21st?

Kristoff

I have a crazy idea in my head for a Chaos Marine Chapter (yes, Chapter, post-Heresy Loyalist turned to Chaos), but I'm curious on when I should set their Founding and how it would fit their story best.

Basically, they are now zealots akin to the Word Bearers, but gripped with a strange curse: Every single one of them are painfully sensitive to psychic and Warp emanations that are not part of their Chapter's mutated gene-seed. The greater the strength of the mind or presence, the more it enrages them to the point that these become the first targets of their assault. They have taken upon themselves a sacred duty to cleanse the warp of anything that may cause their distress. Their strategy is the forceful conversion of any unmodified humans to either become a new marine for those who show promise, undergo a warp-based gene therapy to become a slave vassal to support their work, and to destroy all other sentients in the galaxy so their minds and souls will be the only ones interacting with it. They have name themselves The Legion of the Setting Eye, to signify their desire to close the warp to all others.

Now, on one hand, the 13th Founding is the Dark Founding, presumably called that because of the results of that Founding were not well received. The mysteries behind it all could explain their change from the norm and their fall from grace.

On the other hand, the 21st Founding is called the Cursed Founding, which saw a lot of mutations and a few Chapters hounded or hunted by the Imperium's Inquisition, which could easily lead to them betraying the Imperium and being mutated from there by a "benevolent" being of great power.

Any thoughts on which would be the best direction to go with this one?

21st seems the most relevant, not to mention it makes fluff-crafting easier when you're not having to build millennia of notoriety just to fill in gaps.

Good points, thanks!

Do you think that this concept is OOT or ridiculous, I know it's a little raw, but is it a good point to start with?

21st seems the most relevant, not to mention it makes fluff-crafting easier when you're not having to build millennia of notoriety just to fill in gaps.

Good points, thanks!

Do you think that this concept is OOT or ridiculous, I know it's a little raw, but is it a good point to start with?

Personally, I think it's kind of neat. A Renegade Chapter with a heightened sense of Warp awareness that got driven mad by it, and now worships it as their ultimate goal for existence? I can get with that. It's got a sort of Necromongers "Loyalty to Underverse come!" meets Gollum "It's MY preciousss~s!" sort of crazy to it. Can't have made them popular with Librarians, Sorcerers, and the Ordo Malleus.

Good points, thanks!

Personally, I think it's kind of neat. A Renegade Chapter with a heightened sense of Warp awareness that got driven mad by it, and now worships it as their ultimate goal for existence? I can get with that. It's got a sort of Necromongers "Loyalty to Underverse come!" meets Gollum "It's MY preciousss~s!" sort of crazy to it. Can't have made them popular with Librarians, Sorcerers, and the Ordo Malleus.

No, not really. :P I'm even planning on incorporating it into the playstyle with Terminators and Raptors given the Psyker-hunting duties, or treat them as if they had Rage when a Psyker uses a power.

The idea progressed from a challenge someone made to have Chaos Marines join Tau in Apocalypse in a fluffy way, and it evolved from Star Control 3's K'Tang concepts and give them. I figured someone who could barely have a presence in the Warp would be a novelty to these guys.

Archived