Allies and special rules

Long story short, I had a game today, and an interesting situation popped up.

We were playing a 4-player (Dark Eldar and Orks vs Blood Angels and Grey Knights). My Wyches assaulted a unit of GK that had the Counter-attack rule. Nearby was a Sanguinary Priest. Now, a unit with Counter-attack counts as charging when they make their "Defender reacts" move. The BA player informed us that since the wording on the Sanguinary Priest's special rules said "all friendly units", he could confer Furious Charge on the GKs. I argued against, saying that rules from one Codex does not benefit units from another Codex (so, for instance, the Ork kustom forcefield would not avail my Dark Eldar). We eventually decided to go with my argument, but I'm still not entirely sure if I was correct. I want to make sure I have some solid ground to stand on except "no special rule in a Codex confers a benefit to a unit in another unless it states so explicitly".

So I'm wondering if anyone can help me find a specific citation for this that can be used in the future?

Long story short, I had a game today, and an interesting situation popped up.

We were playing a 4-player (Dark Eldar and Orks vs Blood Angels and Grey Knights). My Wyches assaulted a unit of GK that had the Counter-attack rule. Nearby was a Sanguinary Priest. Now, a unit with Counter-attack counts as charging when they make their "Defender reacts" move. The BA player informed us that since the wording on the Sanguinary Priest's special rules said "all friendly units", he could confer Furious Charge on the GKs. I argued against, saying that rules from one Codex does not benefit units from another Codex (so, for instance, the Ork kustom forcefield would not avail my Dark Eldar). We eventually decided to go with my argument, but I'm still not entirely sure if I was correct. I want to make sure I have some solid ground to stand on except "no special rule in a Codex confers a benefit to a unit in another unless it states so explicitly".

So I'm wondering if anyone can help me find a specific citation for this that can be used in the future?

I think it might be in the space wolf FAQ... I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure on of the FAQs says you can't benefit from FC when using counter attack and only get the bonus attack (or D3 if you have a rule like the blood claws)... I could be wrong but that sticks in my mind.

The standard game isn't really written with armies working together in mind but this might be covered in apocalypse... sorry I have a bit of a headache at the moment...

one, there are no actual rules for how to handle games with more than two players, as such it is up to the players to decide what can transfer from one friendly army to another. The general convention IS that rules from one codex will not help another one, as all codexes are writen in a vacum, so to speak (which is why a deamon hunter inquistor will not satisfy the requirements to take an assasin from the whichhunter codex, dispite them both being an "inquisitor").

Two, counter attack does not count as chargeing, and will not provide the benifits of furious charge when you are assaulted, or any other bonuses you may get from charging (such as an eviscors +1d6 attacks on the chare), counter attach just provides +1 A whcn you are charged.

Two, counter attack does not count as chargeing, and will not provide the benifits of furious charge when you are assaulted, or any other bonuses you may get from charging (such as an eviscors +1d6 attacks on the chare), counter attach just provides +1 A whcn you are charged.

Ah, that's all I need then. Thank you, much appreciated. <_<

when dealing with team games i always avoid cross pollination of army rules, otherwise only one marine player needs to take Vulkan for both people to WL meltas, flamers and THs.

i go one further and say that even if your running the same army as your partner i.e nids, then you still have to operate in a vacuum..

allowing mixing of rules really opens up abuse in team games

Archived