Chaos Lord without Wings

Rawne_11

Hey guys,

Just gettng back to the hobby. Have a newly painted chaos army that I've never used and I've only ever used Imperial Guard so my knowledge of Marine and Chaos tactics is limited, especially in 5th edition (haven't played a game since 4th). I've been doing a lot of research on here, and it seems Daemon princes are the way to go. However, I have always preferred the idea of chaos lords, and I have more than a couple chaos lord models (and ideas for models) and no DP model, so I want to go with a chao lord. However none have wings and I really don't want to give any wings or jump packs to them. I also don't have any Land raiders so my only choices are a footslogging lord, a lord in a rhino or a bike. Am I doomed to failure and ridicule? Is there a way for a lord without wings to be a viable option?

Given that there's no real "accepted" model for aspiring champions, I would recommend you build your lords and use them as champs, or even a Khârn stand-in. You can always use them as lords whilst you're getting the hang of your army, then move to DPs later.

Is there a way for a lord without wings to be a viable option?
Not really.

But why not give your Lord wings? you keep the option of putting him in a Rhino and wings give him a larger (and much needed) threat range.

If it is because of a modelling issue you can always opt for magnets, example 1, example 2

Khârn does it.
He has to :D , but then again, his stable killing potential is so much greater than that of a Lord, without the drawbacks of Daemon Weapons.

My 2 Kraks

I use a foot lord occasionally, he works just like any other marine IC(just like Khârn, only less killy and more expensive!). Put him in a rhino with any fearless cult choice(so he doesn't lose his fearless and run off the board), plague marines and zerks are the preferred choices. Wings would make him that much more versatile though, and they have no drawback. With a power weapon he'll perform about as well as any other marine IC(which is to say medicocre), with twinclaws he has some reliable killing potential, and daemon weapons are fun(but not reliable). Since you only have a 5++ to rely on saving from powerfists it can get dicey, especially compared to a SM captain with SS, but lords are still decent enough(plus you can config them for max carnage with mok, durability vs hordes with mon, durability vs fists with mot, and mos for striking before most ICs).

You'll have more flexibility giving him wings, and there are alternatives to the possessed box wings if mutation isn't your bag: My winged Sorc/lord, however the foot lord in a rhino is as viable as most other IC in rhinos. It merely presents a few minor difficulties getting him into CC reliably, where he shines, but it's really best left for "for fun" games and not all that competitive.

I hate to say this, but It's really much simpler to just go with a winged prince and just fly him up behind the same rhino for the coversave. It's one more threat on the board that needs to be lascannoned, and losing the rhino doesn't cost him his mobility, just his convenience coversave.

I like to use the Tzeentch Lord on bike. Take the Daemon Weapon and a combi-melta. Acts more as a harassing unit with the potential to rip through fire bases if you get him in the backlines. The Daemon weapon gives him some nice ranged potential (d6 s4 ap3) and then he's no slouch in combat either. He can't go it alone vs large units but against smaller fire bases he's a dream. He also draws less firepower than a Daemon Prince cause he's seen as less of a threat.

Archived