Fighting Blood Angels and Chaos Space Marines

Captain Denaro

As the title suggests I've to play a game with a locked list against both BA and CSM. I'm seriously considering taking the battle to them by fielding a unit of Sternguard in a Drop pod and a unit of Vanguards supported by a Captain, also in a pod. The plan would be to land the Sternies first turn, deal out some plasma/special ammo awesomeness and then wait for the Vanguards to arrive and cause their own style of close combat pain.

The list will be 2000 points so obviously there will be several other units in support of this. If nothing else the fact that I have the pods should keep both players on their toes in terms of their deployment and make it more difficult for them to close with my main force.

What I'm wondering though is, would this be at all feasible against these close-combat orientated amies or will I simply waste a good chunk of my force with an insane suicide tactic.

problem is he'd reserve stuff. You look stupid when sternguard and vanguard with HQ (½ your army!) drops down in their pods only to find nothing to kill until stormravens and land raiders pour from the backline, priests throwing cheap drugs at everyone form the storm raven hatch as they murder your units before they have a chance to strike...

Against BA I like to play safe and have them react constantly. Have good long range firepower and make sure you're able to target anywhere when he chooses to show his filthy cheap fast razorbacks or emperor-forsaken fliers of doom. Hit their light armor hard. Shoot down the stormraven and leave the insides (including the dreadnought) at the mercy of your guns.

But try it out. Against some BA armies dropping deathstars work, against others they dont. Generally, I think you'd rather shoot the melee folks before they get close, however.

What I'm wondering though is, would this be at all feasible against these close-combat orientated amies or will I simply waste a good chunk of my force with an insane suicide tactic.

I think relying on CC units in Drop Pods is a dangerous game. You aren't sure when they will arrive (if they don't drop 1st turn) and if something will be on the board when they do and you can't assault out the turn you do arrive.

Think of Drop Pods as a way to put a short range shooting unit into the enemy's backyard. Dreadnoughts and Sternguard are usually the best options as they have good firepower when they're up close.

Against both BA and CSM, you're best bet (assuming you're playing codex marines) is relying on long range firepower to weaken targets and/or dismount mechanized infantry then counter assault with your own assault units.

Archived