Astorath/Reclusiarch/chaplin liturgies of blood rule

rakesh1001

first off the rule

liturgies of blood ( chaplin )

on a players turn in wich he assaults, a chaplin and all members of his squadhe has joined ca re roll failed rolls to hit.

models in a death company can re roll failed rolls to wound( there rage makes them partically suceptible to the chaplins fiery oratory)

liturgies of blood ( astorath )

on a players turn in wich he assaults, astorath and all members of his squadhe has joined ca re roll failed rolls to hit.

death company models can also re roll failed rolls to wound( there rage makes them partically suceptible to the chaplins fiery oratory)

i interprit these two rules the same , if astorath or a chaplin has joined a squad they get re roll to hit, if there are any death company MODELS

( dread or squad ) can re roll both even if he is not in that squad

please post your thoughts and im sorry if its been coverd before

True, Liturgies of Blood applies to all of our Chaplains - Astorath, Reclusiarchs, Chaplains and Lemartes. It allows any non-vehicle units - Dreads are vehicles - that they join to re-roll failed rolls to hit; if they are DC they can also re-roll their failed rolls to wound.

No, you cannot re-roll to wound with death company dreads.

Will you paint your stormraven black and try to get a re-roll to penetrate on its multimelta?

That's not what he's asking. He's trying to ask if the Liturgies rule only applies to DC models in the squad that the Chaplain is attached to or if it applies to any DC model. The precise wording is a little unclear but I think the intent is probably the former rather than the latter.

Incidentally, if it was the latter then DC Dreads would be affected IMO, as despite what was said earlier in this thread, there is nothing in the Liturgies rule that specifies non-vehicles.

apart from the fact that as a vehicle the chaplain cant join it, and if you've given it blood talons you can re-roll to wound anyway...

The point being, if the rules were interpreted as 'any DC model', the chaplain wouldn't need to have joined the unit. But I don't think that is what is meant by the rule.

Lemartes rules on the next page also clears up that his Liturgies applies only to his squad. So its pretty clear squad that you've joined only. But I think the chaplain would get to reroll his own to wound rolls as well. Or any attached character for that matter.

Classic crap copy editing from GW making this needlessly confusing. I agree there is an argument under RAW that Astorath's rule applies to all DC on the table, whether he has joined or not. Why have two rules with different text if they're not different? Still, I don't think that's the simplest explanation. I would think that if that were the case it would be more explicitly stated in the rule and there would be some clause indicating that Astorath need not join to get the effect as that would be an exception to the usual character and squad buff mechanic. I would play the rules as the same and as more clearly stated in the chappy listing. Just one man's opinion.

Lemartes rules on the next page also clears up that his Liturgies applies only to his squad. So its pretty clear squad that you've joined only. But I think the chaplain would get to reroll his own to wound rolls as well. Or any attached character for that matter.

How this rule works is pretty clear cut to me.

Astorath and Chaplain: The squad they are with get to re-roll hits. This includes other attached characters. If the squad is a DC squad, the DC models only get to re-roll both "to hit" and "to wound" rolls. Anything else, including the Chaplains themselves, only get to re-roll hits.

Lemartes: His rule is slightly different. He ONLY affects his squad and himself. Not any other attached characters. His rule allows him to re-roll "to wound" rolls as well though, which a normal Chaplain don't, presumably because of his induction into the DC.

But I think the chaplain would get to reroll his own to wound rolls as well. Or any attached character for that matter.

Is it? I'm not so sure. I would actually say neither the Chaplain/Astorath nor any other attached ICs would get to re-roll failed To Wound rolls. 'Death Company models...', 'their rage' strongly implies it is only the actual Death Company models which are meant to benefit, even though Liturgies of Blood is worded slightly differently for the different chaplains.

Edit: So I took a bit too long to reply. Basically, I agree with kollar.

cheers

My English teacher would have beaten me for this level of reading comprehension ^_^

The first sentence follows the second and follows its context.

Taking one sentence out of its context is where we're going wrong gents.

"Also" refers to additional abilities, following from the first sentence where we have predefined conditions stipulated - ie: "Astorath and any squad he's joined".

Nothing much more to be said here.

And at the risk of sounding incendiary, any other belief or argument of the alternative is not as a result of ambiguous wording by GW,it is simply poor reading comprehension.

My English teacher would have beaten me for this level of reading comprehension :lol:

The first sentence follows the second and follows its context.

Taking one sentence out of its context is where we're going wrong gents.

"Also" refers to additional abilities, following from the first sentence where we have predefined conditions stipulated - ie: "Astorath and any squad he's joined".

Nothing much more to be said here.

And at the risk of sounding incendiary, any other belief or argument of the alternative not as a result of ambiguous wording by GW,it is simply poor reading comprehension.

Seconded.

Is it? I'm not so sure. I would actually say neither the Chaplain/Astorath nor any other attached ICs would get to re-roll failed To Wound rolls. 'Death Company models...', 'their rage' strongly implies it is only the actual Death Company models which are meant to benefit, even though Liturgies of Blood is worded slightly differently for the different chaplains.

But its "models in a death company" as in a unit of death company. As in what the chaplain is joining.

Actually looking at this again there are 3 different versions of the Liturgies rules. *Sigh* :lol:

Actually looking at this again there are 3 different versions of the Liturgies rules. *Sigh* :)

Exactly. Assuming they are all meant to be the same ability (with the exception that Lemartes gains the re-roll To Wound as well, since he actually is part of the Death Company), I would err on the side of caution and go with Astorath's version, which is pretty clear about it.

cheers

Archived