Feel No Pain in PLasma Command Squad

facmanpob

So I'm a relative noob, but I've read a lot about Plasma armed Command Squads benefitting from Feel No Pain from the Apothecary. I was looking through the Rules earlier and I was wondering if someone could clarify something for me?

Plasma weapons suffer from the Get's Hot! rule as defined on P31 of the rules, which says "for each roll of a 1 on a to hit roll, the firing model suffers a wound"

The Feel No Pain special rule on P 75 says "Neither can it (the rule) be used against wounds from AP1 and AP2 weapons...."

Now, here's my confusion:

The plasma gun and pistol (both of which can be equipped by Command Squads) are AP2 weapons......so if one blows up in your face and gives a wound, how does the Feel No Pain special rule help?

...please help... ^_^

This is more of a rules question, but I'll answer it here anyway.

Right, the one thing you're missing from the description of Gets Hot! is that it says on a roll of a one to hit (or if you roll a one for blast weapons), you suffer a wound with armour saves allowed. This is what allows Feel no Pain. You are correct that the profile of the plasma gun doesn't allow FnP saves due to it having AP2. You are also correct that FnP cannot be taken on wounds that inflict Strength Instant Death, AP1 and 2, power weapons or equivalent, and pretty much anything that wouldn't allow an armour save under any circumstances. Gets Hot! allows armour saves, and doesn't mention not allowing FnP, therefore, you get FnP. There is nothing in either rule which stops you using FnP for Gets Hot!, and a wound that allows armour saves will nearly always allow FnP.

I hope that wasn't too complicated, but in short you get FnP because Gets Hot! is a wound, and not a hit with the profile of a plasma shot. It has no AP, it allows saves, it allows FnP. This is why quad-plasma gun Command squads are favoured, as compared to other units you're less likely to loose your plasma guns while shooting. Of course, in my experience you it doesn't make much of a difference, especially as your opponent is very likely to send everything against that unit once it's out of the Rhino.

Archived