Plastic Inner Circle

sar mikael

So here we are, DA kick ass and we have some of the most awesome characters (fluff wise, obviously we dont have a fan dex :) ,) but they are the most static boring lot going. Thanks GW! So in an effort to solve this and make them the right size in comparison to the standard marines I have broke out the plastic fantastic and green stuff. I've already done my Belial, so the first fella to get the new body treatment was Azrael, and this is my first time trying to make cloaks from green stuff.

gallery_41292_5908_453810.jpg

gallery_41292_5908_219611.jpg

gallery_41292_5908_1391895.jpg

Because Azzy is the top dog i wanted to do the paint job justice. So ive been reading and have been advised to go for a grey base coat and work from there. So I've done this and it looks strange to see the green stuff go grey and look like the rest of the plastics-odd. But i then gave the model a quick white dry brush and a black wash so the details/ imperfections stand out- so I'm leaving it for you guys to give me some C&C's please.

gallery_41292_5908_1598775.jpg

gallery_41292_5908_1140367.jpg

gallery_41292_5908_623137.jpg

gallery_41292_5908_1755394.jpg

I've also been working on a Brother Bethor replacement. Just a nice choice of plastics and no green for this man- I'm also thinking of magnetising different DA icons for the top of the banner to represent the different sacred standards (I know 5th ed it makes no difference but I was there at 2nd ed and I liked the gumpf). Just one shot of him- think I might make some special rules up for him too!

gallery_41292_5908_9922.jpg

So let me know what you reckon. Ta for looking.

Great models! the only thing that bother me on Azrael is the lengh of the bolter sling, he look like he's tripping in it.

and nothing forbid you to remake the "master craft Combi plasma Bolter" to make it 1) usable 2) pretty :)

I realy love the idea of the magnetise banner by the way!

Amazing work on Azrael, the only thing that could maybe do with some help is the robe around the chest, it looks a little too bulky. Maybe try using one of the plastic torsos and adding gs detail instead? Robes are notoriously difficult to get right.

I second the request to know who the legs are from.

Thanks for the positive input peeps. brother garrod is correct the legs are from micro art studio heres the linky

http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/knights...6.html?cPath=45

tiny sam, i get what your saying but i wanted it to flow with the model as apposed to being stuck at/ near the waist. but your not wrong- master crafted plasma bolter was a pain, simple but a pain.

AGPO your right, his left hand side im not totally in love with but i went with it anyhow. i have tried to sculpt a watcher onto his chest but these pics dont show it too well, ill take another pic and post. see what you think on a different view.

here we are- thought id taken a pic from this view earlier.

gallery_41292_5908_425619.jpg

doesnt show it in the best possible way (looks a bit messy) but when it'll get painted i think i might get away with it?!

love the conversions :P, but i'm with tiny sam on the combi weapon. the sling is too long and it looks like the gun will touch the ground, when he's standing straight.

and that's no way to treat a chapter relic :lol:

just my 2 cents

Azrael looks sweet, love the movement in the model. The only thing that gets me is the back pack. Even with the different back on it, it still looks like a jump pack, of course i am a BA player, maybe thats it. If it was me, i would try to eliminate the air intake behind his head, as i like the backpack outline, just think it needs a lil more work to make the switch from jump pack to back pack. Tha big intake is just very prominent/distinctive. Other than that, i love it!

I have to say... WOW! Great job on reviving Azrael. You did a great job of using those BA bits to their fullest. I think the backpack looks really sweet, its definetely a double take conversion which is good. I love it so much I want to play Dark Angels now... must resist ;)

Mr.Malevolent

seeing these comments from you and having seen what you guys achieve makes me really humble, thanks everyone. i get what everybody seems to be saying- combi bolter strap is too long. now here is my dilemma- the gs is dry and im no gs fu master- is there a cheats way to just easily cut down the gs, reposition and glue or is it going to shatter on me as soon as i take a blade to it? any info would be helpful before i rip this off and am unable to recreate it.

ta for your help.

seeing these comments from you and having seen what you guys achieve makes me really humble, thanks everyone. i get what everybody seems to be saying- combi bolter strap is too long. now here is my dilemma- the gs is dry and im no gs fu master- is there a cheats way to just easily cut down the gs, reposition and glue or is it going to shatter on me as soon as i take a blade to it? any info would be helpful before i rip this off and am unable to recreate it.

ta for your help.

you should be able to cut it and glue it with super glue. dried green stuff handles like plastic but it's a little softer and you need to be careful to use a sharp blade, or the edges might fray...

personally i'd try to redo the sling a liitle shorter, cuz i think it will look better than the cutted and glued version.

additionally i can't emphasize the need for proper tools enough. i recently got a set of clayshapers as a gift from a friend and they're fantastic to work with green stuff :tu:

Interesting conversion of there, certainly much more dynamic than the stock model (which MUST be getting on a bit now...) and I have to say intriguing use of the new BA jump pack (not keen on the wing-thing usually used on the Sanguinary Guard tbh). I like it. Remeniscent of Khan and Seth, I reckon.As to your dilemma - I'm afraid I can't help. My greenstuff-fu is sadly lacking somewhat.

hey one and all. thanks for the input.

Grizzly adams- glad you like it and i know the air intake/ SG jump pack is quite iconic but i wanted something a little special for his backpack as the current (but still well modelled) spiked skull metal backpack was far too small. plus this beefed him up a hell of a lot.

Wicced- thanks a ton for the input. your gs handling skills helped out a lot as youll see.

Zincite- i will be doing an asmodia, but got a ton of other bits to do first. plus im in progress of doing a tale of 4 gamers style thing with my local club with an eldar force (damn xenos scum).

olsredan- the only wingy thing i can think of your talking about is his shoulder guard/ pauldron. well i wanted a slightly more ornate pad than the stock model one, which is just plain with a scroll on the bottom of it. ive got vets with that on! surely azzy deserves better?

hushrong- use the back pack idea, i like it too!

right then, lets get started- pictures

gallery_41292_5908_640275.jpg

gallery_41292_5908_768997.jpg

gallery_41292_5908_1315870.jpg

gallery_41292_5908_1036560.jpg

so thanks for all your previous input, i have moved his combi weapon higher so he is no longer tripping up in it! :D i do actually have to agree with you all on that now and i think it looks a lot better for it, thanks. although i did re-use the front straps again- just cut down and repositioned which i think has worked ok. i did this because i really didnt think id be able to do the buckle/ strap again. i have made a new strap for the rear of the weapon but it is slightly wider than the front- annoying but i tried and tried again to cut it and recut to the same width but to no avail. so this is the nearest i could get and with it being on the opposite side and slightly out of view, ill forgive myself. thankfully i didnt have to rip his arms off as both are only pinned at the moment and will be until he is painted up. so let me know what you think and thanks for looking.

awesome job.

Are you going to use the standard watcher carrying the helmet or got plans for that too? :)

I think Bethor looks a little .. bland, but then so did the original in my opinion. Not quite sure how you could fix this, I suppose some freehanding on the armor might give him a little bit of 'special'...

Can't wait to see your Asmodai / Ezekiel!

glad i could help ;)

the strap looks much better now and works well with the movement of the model ;)

looking forward to seeing more of them...

Nice!

Though I've just noticed, 'Azzys' head-ball-socket-thing seems a little big from this angle, so his head looks more artificial since his neck looks too small.

If that makes any sense. Though I doubt it, few things I say ever do.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone. thanks for the comments. sorry it's been a while since updating but i've been a little busy of late. anyhow enough talk and here are the pictures of bethor with green armour- hopefully looking a little special!

gallery_41292_5908_90871.jpg

gallery_41292_5908_1757722.jpg

gallery_41292_5908_776862.jpg

gallery_41292_5908_670561.jpg

so there we go, just wanted to get your thoughts on him before pushing on and completing him. just the armour is complete- robes details the lot still need doing. also i've done a little fluff on him- mainly taken from the heroes of the imperium section on here but i extrapulated a little and then worked out some rules for him with the original sacred standeard rules (2nd ed wargear cards are ace), and points blah blah. anyhow i didn't want to make him an uber fan dex killer marine like some characters of late so here are my rules for him, let me know what you think!-

Brother Bethor

Bearer of the Sacred Standards

Brother Bethor is a stalwart member of the Dark Angels Chapter and is entrusted with the honour of bearing all three of the Chapters Sacred Standards.

Whilst serving with the 3rd Company during the cleansing of Durganion XIII, Brother Bethor earned the role of Standard Bearer. Displaying exceptional bravery Bethor single-handedly rescued the 3rd Company's fallen banner from the clutches of the genestealer brood they had been sent to Durganion to root out. Since that battle he was gifted the 3rd Company’s Standard to carry into the fray to inspire and lead his Battle Brethren. At many of the 3rd Company’s major battles the Banner when seen aloft at the vanguard of the force and all fell before it.

The Chaplains and Librarians of the Inner Circle heard of his heroics and began to visit Bethor after the victories he attained. His character was assessed and steadily his loyalty to the Lion was assured. This was the beginning of his true call to the Chapter. After a series of cross-examinations by the Chaplaincy with the aid of the Librarians, he was inducted into the Deathwing and he was elevated from the position of 3rd Company Standard Bearer to Bearer of the Sacred Standards.

Although inducted into the Deathwing, Bethor refused to discard his beloved Caliban green power armour for that of the Deathwing’s white TDA. In homage to their home world and Bethor's desire to wear Caliban’s green to battle, the techmarines crafted a suit of artificier armour for Bethor so he can protect the Sacred Standards all the better and walk proudly with his power armoured brethren.

WS BS S T W I A LD SV

4 4 4 4 1 4 2 9 2+

Unit Type-Infantry, Individual

Special rules – Fearless

Wargear- Artificier armour, Master crafted bolt pistol, Combat weapon, and Frag / Krak grenades.

Bethor is a Squad upgrade for 50 points and counts as an extra member to a squad. He can be attached to a Tactical/ Veteran or Command Squad. If an Interrogator Chaplain is in the army then Bethor may take one of the Sacred Standards with him for 15 points. The Sacred Standard chosen must be declared at the begging of the game and the rules apply as below. Fearless to all friendly models within 12” still apply to all Sacred Standards.

Standard of fortitude-

This standard celebrates the unstoppable nature and tenacity of the chapter. It will inspire any Dark Angel to attack with grim determination, advancing steadily while unleashing a hail of fire.

Any DA with bolter rounds within 6” will gain an extra shot while advancing.

Standard of Retribution-

The standard of retribution stands to remind the DA that the enemies of the emperor can never be forgiven. It inspires them to fight under any circumstances, smiting their foes with righteous fury.

Any member of the squad with this standard will always hit once regardless of dice roll in hand to hand combat.

Standard of Devastation-

This standard stands to remind the DA that any attack must be met with devastating retaliation.

Any DA within 6” is allowed to shoot once if charged by the enemy. Enemy models must be removed before combat resumes.

ta for looking.

Archived