SW: Land Raider

Brother Navaer Solaq

I have been lurking in the army list section for the SW. Most list do not field land raiders and prefer to fill the heavy slot with Long Fangs. I make the assumption that point wise long fangs are better return on kills than land raider. Correct me if I am wrong.

The main question I have is this.

Is a land raider in a SW army viable or is it better to just drop it out of the list in preference for long fangs?

To help narrow the assumptions:

Land Raider use will mostly to LC monsterous creatures ('nids) and transport some heavy hitting WG to front line (if no monsterous creatures on board)

If a better variation of the LR is recommended I am all ears.

thanks in advance. :rolleyes:

Its viable.

The standard Landraider isnt there as a gunboat though- thats just an added bonus. Landraiders are heavy transports and no mistake. I prefer mine with 8 PWs, 2 PFs, and a brace of combi-meltas.

The standard one makes a great ride for a squad of PA WG, while the Crusader tends to be kick-ass for a large squad of bloodclaws *and wolf priest* or a terminator unit sometimes.

GM is exactly right. Don't think of it as a tank with transport capacity, think of it as a transport with guns. Honestly, I'd rather have a LR with no guns and a reduced price than pay extra for all the shooty bits.

LRC + 10 Greys + Arjac.

Or how about LR [whatever one] with 5 Greys, and use it as a scoring Raider? Kind of like Dire Avengers + Serpent combo.

You can hide TWC, Fenwolves, Bikes or Jumpers behind it....

You could even bring a Rhino or Razorback for them, but put the Lone Wolf in it.

Or a Drop Pod and use it as the third Pod, so your two filled Pods arrive on T1. You can land the third pod to disrupt your foe or even contest an Objective....

Thoughts?

TEC is an ultramarine, not a SW.

Otherwise yes- Ive used the extra pod to good effect sometimes, and sometimes late game Ill shelter a unit of GHs in a landraider to hold an objective longer.

I just picked up the SW codex the other day to try out as an alternative to my vanilla marines & was thinking 15 blood claws & a wolf priest in a crusader might be quite fun... scoring unit with lots of anti-infantry potential... :huh:

edit: remembered what you said about the role you have in mind, so sorry for going off topic!

• 4 weeks later...

I prefer to use a LRC to carry 15 BC and Ragnar into battle.

It gets them in Quickly and the blood claws can still shoot with also maybe getting the extra attacks on the charge that u normally loose with an IC.

Fenris Kid- you dont lose attacks with a standard IC. They get Beserk Charge unless the enemy has defensive grenades.

Thats why Ragnar is usually thrown in with Wolf Gaurd- your more likely to get the bonus attacks.

personally I'd prefer to put ragnar with grey hunters, using the wolf standard alongside a charge with ragnar is really nasty.

I quite like landraider redeemer, rather nasty vs marines and you can fit ragnar+10grey hunters and a wg in it too :D

Hhmmmmmmmm.....

If you field the land raider alone, it beomes a giant bullseye, so you would have to field other heavy armor or infantry to distract incoming fire. Depending on what you want to use it for, it's up to you. You can use it like a wall to protect advancing infantry, a giant armoured pillbox, or what ever suits your fancy.

Link: Darkseer's tourney list

He used a LR Phobos, and kept the LR back, pewpewing things with the tl LCs. After a while, he then moved forwards and dumped the combi-weapon toting Wolf Guard into the lap of whatever big nasty had made it through all his shooting.

Kind of like an ace-in-the-hole rather than the simpler method of Deathstar ploughing into the enemies line.

I think this method suits the patient Wolves, who always soften things up with shooting, rather than the World Eaters style of just rushing towards and wanting to beat face.

I'd long written off the LR Phobos as a confused tank, a relic of when GW didn't know better. Perhaps that is still true, but we can make the best of the Spork, eh?

That you need to wait and fire, to get the most from the tlLCs, actually forces a tempo into your game plan. Slow down, don't rush.

How many times in Chess do we some a greenhorn see the enemy Queen, scoot across the board and take it with his Queen, only for her to be taken as well? The Phobos prevents you haring off and getting your best unit isolated and destroyed.

Arjac in a raider with grey hunters or blood claws is pretty good. just drive up the board wiping out independent characters, monstrous creatures walkers or anything else thats tough, you only need Arjac to survive and plonk him on an objective (because now he is scoring) land raider or not. Your opponent has to wipe out 08-14 troops and a land raider before he has to deal with Arjac, so it's a massive fire magnet leaving the rest of your force to do there thing. I have driven the raider up the board to take my opponent objective but thr best use is to go and hunt monsters like mephiston. arjacs hammer when thrown puts meph on I1 if you cause a wound :)

Arjac in a raider with grey hunters or blood claws is pretty good. just drive up the board wiping out independent characters, monstrous creatures walkers or anything else thats tough, you only need Arjac to survive and plonk him on an objective (because now he is scoring) land raider or not. Your opponent has to wipe out 08-14 troops and a land raider before he has to deal with Arjac, so it's a massive fire magnet leaving the rest of your force to do there thing. I have driven the raider up the board to take my opponent objective but thr best use is to go and hunt monsters like mephiston. arjacs hammer when thrown puts meph on I1 if you cause a wound :lol:

Arjac in a squad is like PK Nobz and Boyz. But better.... sheesh!

Blood Claws are not so great in a prolonged combat, due to ws3 defensively and not packing much PW goodness. Arjac solves that with his great save(s) and his hammer.

Archived