Chaplains

Astral Saviors

I was thinking of starting a new DIY space marine chapter with no chaplains in the chapter. I was just wondering if this would seriosly hinder the power of the army in battles. Also would there be anything I should think about including to make up for the lack of chaplains.

Thanks in advance :)

Chaplains see to the Spiritual Well being of the Space Marines. You'd either need something to fill that void or a reason behind why your chapter doesnt need Chaplains. You might consider a fundamental spiritual difference between your chapter and others, ie that they are each a Chaplain unto themselves or something of the like. Or have another HQ type take on thier duties as well as thier own. Its a matter of taste really and since it IS your own DIY you can come up with whatever you like.

I won't tell you something is wrong, I only ask that you make your fluff support your choice rather than just saying "This is how it is". It'll be interesting to see what you come up with.

Thanks

Ye I was thinking about the idea that the chapter master has the responsabilities of head chaplain and they have rituals much like school assemblies with the chapter master as the headmaster or something along those lines. In non-tornamnet games i would probably modify the rules of the captain to use some of the chaplain special rules. Does that sound ok?

Counts as would be abetter approach I'd say. Not many opponents will alow some of the baddass Chaplain rules used on a Captain gear loadout. But you can always Count your Chaplains as Captains. I.E. Crosius Arcanum = Power Sword, Rosarius is a Trinket given to all Captains as they reach that rank etc. But again despite my suggestions do what you like and run with it. For tournaments the only issues is using the codex as written so Counts As is your best friend.

Just as an aside, why do you want to remove Chaplains from your Army, not dissing the idea, just curious.

Incidentally Welcome to B&C, just noticed you joined up recently. Lots of great people... and space dogs (Space Wolves).

Part of their history was the fact that several chaplains converted to following the dark gods and took a fair amount of the chapters warriors with them. Unlike the dark angels these traitors were succesfully hunted down. Ever since the chapter master has set out rules that the captain of each company also acts as the chaplain so he can "keep an eye on them"

And thanks ;)

Not a bad little bit of Fluff. Theres a big DIY guide out there on these forums. Just as a bit of advice it'd be worht looking into. The Brothers on this site are well versed in the Marines fluff and itll be a great place to really build the story of your Chapter from the ground up.

From a fluff stand point... You DARE to insult my Chapter by saying some of us turned!? I Should break you for that, but as you're new here I'll let it slide this time (I'm a Dark Angel)

It'd be great for you to flesh it out some more but enjoy the process and dont rush it. The Best part of a DIY Chapter is its your own. You'll have to post some pics at some point so we can see how its going for ya. Regardless its a good start. Carry on.

Not bad colors. Might want to match the cloak to a supporting color or more striking than a red. Perhaps a bold gold (not yellow) or a deep color. Thats my only critique though. I'm sure you'll get alot more suggestions from others aside from a Forum Lurker Dark Angel in a bit here ;;P

As for the question on no Chaplain's being a hindrance in battle. The answer is a no. Chaplain's are close combat fighters with no real traits in close combat. Their profile only has one extra WS, wound, attack and Ld over a Sergeant. OK, he comes with some perks, them being a power weapon and a 4++ save as standard, and his ability to allow his squad to make re-rolls in the first round of combat. Fearless is a double edged sword, so you've got to be careful with it. So for his 110pts (because you really need to give him digi weapons) he won't do much killing apart from the first round of combat.

I hate to say it but for the points cost a Libby with Null Zone and Avenger would be a better buy. Not as good in combat due to do Rosarius or re-rolls, but otherwise the same equipment, stats, and a couple of awesome psychic powers. If you want a close combat character stick the Chapter Master or the Captain, which have amazing stats in combat and can take gear to make them cut through hordes of troops while emerging unscathed.

As the background, sounds good, but do remember the Dark Angels had to chase their Fallen throughout time and space. With the vastness of the galaxy that can make a task pretty hard :ph34r:.

Any model in black armor could be used as a convincing Chaplain - I like the concept of having a model "counts as" to replace the current weak chaplain format in CSM.

Chaplains are supposed to be a rare commodity, but have a great impact in your army. They are supposed to be largely inspirational, teachers, models of the spirit of your Chapter, and be fearlessly tough in combat.

You can already use Cassius as your Chaplain, nice choice, but....

Imagine - using Lysander as your Chaplain...makes sense...a counts as terminator chaplain. Makes that unit he with with so much better. Fights like a Chaplain...

Imagine - using Kantor as your Chaplain...makes sense...everyone becomes inspired and stubborn. Chaplain with a golden bolter and power fist, artsy armor.

Imagine just using the Captain or Master rules to stick-build a Chaplain - you create a CC monster, but he does not inspire or buff everyone else as a Chaplain should...

From a modeling standpoint, the Crozius could be on the belt or sling. Lots of skull-like death masks or helmet swaps out there. A Crozius is a precious relic and badge of honor...no sense bopping xenos and heretics on the head with it when another weapons can do the job.

Going back to the Olden Golden Days of Epic - having a leader as a Chaplain means his personal transport is Black with lots of chaplain motiifs such as skulls, etc. and trimmed in your chapter and company colors. With that in mind....my next razorback might just be in Chaplain colors...

Crap...thanks for the idea...this will distract me for the rest of the day...how am I gonna get my real work done....

Archived