Imperial Fists

ozris

Well, well, after being a member of this board for a couple of years with very infrequent activity, I decided to start up my own WIP-Blog of my IFs: a project I've been working on for quite a few months now and - after succumbing to the iPhone-Hype that seems to be going on everywhere - I'm finally able to take some (rather poor, I'm afraid) pics of my works.

OK, less talk, more pics I guess:

gallery_16728_5917_92790.jpg

This is a tactical Marine I've been working on recently at about 75% completion. Things still to do are

1. the backpack, obviously :P

2. the rest of the base

3. the missing edge highlights

4. pigments on the feet and lower legs to "connect" the mini with the base

5. all the black parts

gallery_16728_5917_101949.jpg

And this is the second Marine I've spent my last hours on - a Sternguard vet, about 85% complete; note the xenos scum in back, trying to be sneaky :lol: Things left to do are:

1. black parts

2. details on the base, including pigments

3. detail work on the backpack

Alright, these pics will hopefully serve enough as a teaser for some comments + crit - I'll post some more (including other views) once I have some more time and of course, once both minis are finished.

Finally, I want so say some thanks especially to Desert Eagle and DV8, whose lovely marines have been a huge inspiration! Keep up the awesome work!

So long,

ozris

Very nice! I don't think I can criticise... the paintwork is lovely, as is the weathering. The glowing eyes are well done too. So, um, no complaints here! :P

Colorwise, the yellow is not that hard to achieve - when I chose to color palette, I wanted to have as much "straight from the pot"-colors as possible, since I wanted to avoid having to mix my own as much as possible.

Colors are as follows:

1. white spray undercoat

2. watered down Vallejo Scrofulous Brown (which actually is rather a dark yellow ;) )

3. shadows with heavily diluted Vallejo Parasite brown - this make take a few layers for the darker areas

4. the darkest shadow areas and also the "blacklining" is done with Vallejo Charred Brown (? - sorry, the text on the color bottle is really worn out :) ); this may also take a few layers for the really dark areas

5. get back to the yellow areas with Scrofulous Brown to get nice transitions - if necessary

6. area highlights with GW Sunburst Yellow, also diluted of course

7. edge highlights with GW Bleached Bone

8. extreme edge highlights with pure white; take care not to overdo these! Only edges in the focal areas of miniature - e.g. the edges on the helm

Well, and that's it. This may sound like a lot of work but once you got a hold of the needed dilutions, it's actually kinda fast-gowing.

what range of Vallejo paints do you use please ozris just theirs game color ,model air and model color.

They're from the Game Color range. The colors are made to match GW's colors.

Scrofulous Brown=Bubonic Brown

Parasite Brown=Vermin Brown

Charred Brown=Scorched Brown

Hope I could help out.

First of all, thanks a lot for all the kind words - I greatly appreciate it!

Also, I wouldn't have thought that maintaining this sort of blog would push my motivation as much as it does right now.

Concerning updates: Some more work has been done on the tac marine, but nothing worth taking new pictures of.

Instead, to keep me motivated to get those first 2 marines finished afap and as some teasers for you all:

gallery_16728_5917_46991.jpg

gallery_16728_5917_12795.jpg

gallery_16728_5917_88612.jpg

And finally, because no one probably noticed ;) :

gallery_16728_5917_3310.jpg

(The right marine's head is not glued on, only for size referance)

So long, now I'm gonna go outside to catch some sunrays ^_^ ;)

oz

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, it sure has been a while :o but I assure you, that I've used the little time I've had recently to the maximum!

Next to finally finishing the tac marine I've been messing around with the pretty awesome Death Company and Sang. Guard kits to start up my long-planned Command Squad - pics will follow once the first models are fully assembled and ready for some paint B)

But enough blabla for now, let's get on to the real deal, the finished stuff - On this pic, I've tried out my Photoshop-Fu to the fullest, but my camera still blows :D So I hope you still like what you're seeing....

gallery_16728_5917_115962.jpg

More updates hopefully rather sooner than later :D Until then,

oz

PS: To be honest, there's still 2 things left to do: 1) the before-mentioned use of concrete pigments on the marine's feet and 2) apply a decal roman numeral on the tactical arrow on the right shoulderpad. But since I'm lacking both of those needed materials right now, I called it quits for now :) Oh, and the rim of the base has been painted a proper black as well, of course!

Very very fine Fists, I'd say :huh: I really like the shade of yellow, and the battle damage looks great on them. Perhaps the shading is a bit inconsistent or so (is that the right word?). It feels like you have several major light-sources around them, and that makes the darker areas sometimes look a bit "thrown out there" or so. The legs on this last marine was what go me thinking about it. Hope you get what I am saying, or I'll have to write an essay and explain ;) I hate when my english is not good enough :(

- Natanael

WOW fantastic fists you have there sir i love them ;)

The only thing for me is the blue wash on the weapons I personally would of done delvan mud or a darker wash instead of the blue but that is only a personal opinion like i said fantastic fists

Thank you all for all your kind words, but most importantly for your critique as well - this is what helps me grow as a miniature painter! :lol:

@KhornateKiller: The blue shade on the bolter and metallic bits is 100% intended. I think the bluish hue contrasts nicely with the yellow armor and also gives the weaponry a nice futuristic feel, something like "sci-fi metal", if you know what I mean ^_^

@Natanael: Thank you for your comment! I have to admit that I was not fully content with the light and shadow on the marine's armour up til the end, but at some point I just had to call it quits to get on with my next minis. I'll definitely have an even closer look at the used zenithal lighting on the nexto one, I guarantee you that. :huh:

As for the Sternguard: After a superglue accident on the backpack :P I sadly have to restart it, so this one will take a while longer until finished. Please bear with me :pirate:

Fantastic work, are you sponging that battle damage on or is it all brush work? I have been messing around with some damage methods on my yellow marines and haven't been happy with my tests. These guys look great and I think the blue/future metal works really well. Good luck keeping focused, I want to see more!

Fantastic work, are you sponging that battle damage on or is it all brush work?

Hey smallvictory, thanks :pirate: The battledamage is 90% spongework with 10% brushstrokes for the "cuts". Getting the battle damage right is really just a matter of practice and feel for the right amount of colour on the sponge. The 3-dimensional effect is then mostly achieved by the edge highlights on the "cuts/dents" etc.

If I find the time during my lunch break I'll try to post some pics of the next mini in line, Brother Sgt. Harkon of 2nd Squad, 5th Company. :huh:

edit: Thanks, sioka! I greatly appreciate this compliment coming from you, since I truly love your orange marines - they're fantastic :lol:

Great looking IFs! I'm working on some new GK stuff right now, but when taking a break from them, I've decided to finally paint up my old marines as IFs - something I've put off for years, and this is certainly good inspiration for getting something done on the boys in yellow.

Archived