The best way to run blood angeld honour guard in DOA force

well, it really depends on what you need in your army.

if you need a surefre way of killing a tank or two then give tem all meltaguns.

if you dont have that 'hammer' unit then give them all power weapons and storm shields.

also remember that you get the sang priest and his 6 inch bubble.

basically, it depends on the rest of your list and what it is lacking, they really are a multipurpose unit.

Melta guns, melta guns, melta guns

If you want a melée unit you're better off using vanguards... Honour guard are too few in numbers / lack heroic intervention to be effective

They are good as shooty due to the mobility with jump packs + alot of weapons + a "free" sanguinary priest

I run mine: with 3 meltas, 1 melta bomb, a blood champion(some CC power atleast... Getting locked in combat with a tac marine squad without a power weapon sucks)...I use them to teminate those mean veichles like anything with a AP2-3 large blast... and they work great vs hordes with their feel no pain + furious charge bubble

I prefer Plasma-death Honor Guard - 4 Plasma guns with Jump packs. They support my Vanguard Vets, who act as melee hammer. I think that 4 meltas is overkill, as two would be enough to crack a pred or even an LR, and I have two RAS with 2 meltas each. 4 Plasmas grant you up to 8 AP2 shots, so Termies, Tau Battlesuits and other MEQs with good armor die pretty soon. And the Priest helps with overheating.

I prefer Plasma-death Honor Guard - 4 Plasma guns with Jump packs. They support my Vanguard Vets, who act as melee hammer. I think that 4 meltas is overkill, as two would be enough to crack a pred or even an LR, and I have two RAS with 2 meltas each. 4 Plasmas grant you up to 8 AP2 shots, so Termies, Tau Battlesuits and other MEQs with good armor die pretty soon. And the Priest helps with overheating.

I want to build a plasma HG. Think it would be fun, perhaps with 1 powerfist added for defense.

if you dont have that 'hammer' unit then give them all power weapons and storm shields.

basically, it depends on the rest of your list and what it is lacking, they really are a multipurpose unit.

qft...This is really the approach that you should take, determine what you are lacking in your list, then fill in the gaps, HG are a nice "Jack-o-all trades" unit. Now typically DOA lists are lacking in anti-av so that is why many load them out w/ melta, but if you went with some type of "hybrid" DOA like RAS + Dev's then the all melta load out is less of an option.

Try to understand WHY you need to unit instead of simply labeling a unit as having a "best of..." type armament.....

And lastly, just because you can....doesn't mean you should....

Ashton

Hi guys!

I am going to add a honour guard squad to my blood angels force.

What wargear should I give them?

Some people give them meltaguns, while others make them melee

It may seem like a 'Duh, no s-' answer, but it comes down to how you want to use them. If you have a Librarian with Blood Lance, then having a firing squad HG makes the most sense. If the Librarian has Unleash Rage and Sanguine Sword however, tool them up for CC.

So I guess the big question is who do you want running with them, and what's that unit(s) goal? That should tell you what your HG should be packing.

I like them tooled out for melee - they can really dish out some pain. Here is how I run mine:

Chapter banner

Honor Guard No. 1: lightning claw & stormshield

Honor Guard No. 2: lightning claw & stormshield

Honor Guard No. 3: pair of lightning claws

Honor Guard No. 4: thunderhammer & stormshield

Novitiate

I run them with an Epistolary (Sanguine Sword & Unleash Rage)

G :fakenopic:

I like them tooled out for melee - they can really dish out some pain. Here is how I run mine:

Chapter banner

Novitiate

G :o

In a Storm Raven ?

Chapter banner

Novitiate

G :o

In a Storm Raven ?

I would guess Jump Packs with DOA. I'm going to try out this set-up tomorrow vs my friends Space Wolves. The unit's something like 500+ points, so they damn well better eat each and every Thunderwolf on the table for brunch. :o

^ This. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Archived