Combat Squads

Thurgam

Ok folks just a quick question. When using space marines and you break them into combat squads, when do you break them apart? Is it in deployment or when they move for the first time? Thanks for your input. (I think i know the answer but had a lenghty discusion on it tonight and want some other eyes on the topic)

You have the option of combat squadding at deployment. Deployment is when the models are placed on the table regardless of what turn it is. If you where to deploy and then try to CS in the movement phase, it is too late.

What is there to yell about?

COMBAT SQUADS

The decision to split the unit into combat squads, as well as which models go into each combat squad, must be made when the unit is deployed. Both combat squads can be

deployed in separate locations. The one exception to this is a unit that arrives by Drop Pod.

ORGHANISING A BATTLE

1 Agree points limit & choose forces

2 Prepare the Battlefield

3 Select a Mission

4 Deploy Forces

5 Start the game!

PITCHED BATTLE / SPEARHEAD / DAWN OF WAR

The player that goes first then chooses {{mission specific choice}} table edge. He then deploys his force in his half of the table, with all models {{more mission specific stuff}}(this is his 'deployment zone'). His opponent then deploys in the opposite half.

Deploy any infiltrators and make any scout moves.

Start the game! Once deployment has finishe, the player that chose his deployment zone first starts game Turn 1 with his first player turn.

THE TURN SEQUENCE

1. The Movement Phase.

2. The Shooting Phase.

3. The Assault Phase.

Reserves modify this sequence slightly, but it is clearlyu spelled out in the Reserves and Deep Strike sections.

Wich includes when they deploy via deep strike or outflank, provided theyre not in a transport.... other than a drop pod, whose rules specifically state you can.

Lets say you deep strike in an Assault Squad and want to combat squad as I see it there are 2 options for how to do this:

1) You select one entry point. Scatter once and split the squad once its hit the deck. This would seem to break the "can be deployed in separate locations" clause.

2) You select one entry point for each combat squad. Scatter each point and half the squad hits each point. This seems to make more sense but can lead to half a squad mishapping back into reserve where a squad may not be combat squaded.

Any idea What the heck happens in those regards?

You can split the squad as it deploys. IE- they can go to two seperate locations.

If one of the two units then misshaps- ohwell.

Yes but you havent addressed the issue with if they Mishap back into reserve. Since squads cannot be combat squaded in reserve, no? Does the whole squad attach back together and they both go back? I'm not certain and this came up in a game I played and absolutely broke my mind. It seemed like it should go back in reserve on its own but its pretty clear that you cant have a combat squaded squad in reserve.

Theyre not in reserve at that point though. As you yourself "back in reserve". Theyre being deployed the moment you put the first model down and roll for scatter- if they later get put back into reserves, theyve already been combat squaded so theyre not splitting up in reserves.

Ie- at the time it goes back into reserves its already its own unit. The restriction is on making it its own unit before it arrives on the table.

Theyre not in reserve at that point though. As you yourself "back in reserve". Theyre being deployed the moment you put the first model down and roll for scatter- if they later get put back into reserves, theyve already been combat squaded so theyre not splitting up in reserves.

Ie- at the time it goes back into reserves its already its own unit. The restriction is on making it its own unit before it arrives on the table.

yeah maybe...still feels wrong. maybe Im just talking it too literally because I dont like the way they're writing their rule.

Archived