Ravenwing bikes and Deepstrike

LunaWolvesRule

Again, one more n00b question regarded this time with Deepstrike and Ravenwing bikes.

I wasn't able to find this on the DA codex (if you know where I can find it, please let me know), anyway here goes my question:

I've read somewhere that the ravenwing bikes can be used as teleport beacons. Since I play DA this may be a nice addon to my army, however I can't seem find the detailed info on the codex... I've also checked the rule book, but I didn't found any beacon info.

First, what's the advantage to use a beacon on Deepstrike? Does it mean that my termies will never miss the deployment and no bad things can happen while teleporting?

Secondly, can I assume that with the bikes and beacon I would be able to do the following move:

Turn 1-Move them fulltrottle to the middle/flank/back of my enemy

Turn 2-Deepstrike an ungodly ammount of terminators all close and personal with the enemy's troops (can the deepstrike be done on the same turn as the bike movement ends? Or do the bikes need to be "stopped"?)

Turn 3-Flee with the surviving bikes, deploy pwage with the termies

Thanks for helping out!

read your unit options for ravenwing squads- it will say in there if they can take a teleport homer or a homing beacon. You must still roll your d6 reserve roll for you ds unit to become ready, but you may place them within 6 inches of a homer without having to roll for scatter. Deep striking occurs at the start of your turn, before any models are moved. There is no need for a model with a homer to remain still after a unit has used it to deep strike that turn. Should deal with most of your questions...

Check the RW fluff part for a detail of the beacon, and you can see it in the FOC part as equipment for all bikes.

You can DS in turn 1 with DWA, but only 50% of the units.

So what you can do is..

- deploy

- scout (no turbo)

- turn 1 land X DW squads

- move your bikes

Hope it helps!

Turn 1-Move them fulltrottle to the middle/flank/back of my enemy

Turn 2-Deepstrike an ungodly ammount of terminators all close and personal with the enemy's troops (can the deepstrike be done on the same turn as the bike movement ends? Or do the bikes need to be "stopped"?)

Turn 3-Flee with the surviving bikes, deploy pwage with the termies

Thanks for helping out!

It sort of works that way. Sort of.

You can indeed move your bike squads forward Turn One.

The problem is the reserve roll. Turn Two requires each individual reserve unit to roll a 4+ to arrive. If they arrive, you can place the first model within 6" of the bike squad (or is it the bike sergeant in your book? Codex Marines have to place within 6" of the sergeant) without scattering.

You must still use the Deepstrike rules for model placement, so the arriving Terminators will be nicely bunched up, and won't be able to move or assault that turn unless theytrade their shooting for a Run roll.

After all reserve units have been placed, you can use the MOvement phase to move the bikes around as needed.

Turn Three, rinse and repeat the process.

The hard part to pull off with this tactic is the reserve roll, and having your bike squads survive long enough for the Terminators to actually arrive. Putting large bike squads in the enemy's face is begging to be shot to bits, and then charged. Small bike squads might be easier to hide, making them more durable with cover saves, but much more likely to lose the sergeant to wound allocation.

Without the ability to manipulate Reserve rolls, this tactic tends to fall on its face. Might work great on one table against a certain opponent, and then fizzle on the next table and opponent.

Check the RW fluff part for a detail of the beacon, and you can see it in the FOC part as equipment for all bikes.

You can DS in turn 1 with DWA, but only 50% of the units.

So what you can do is..

- deploy

- scout (no turbo)

- turn 1 land X DW squads

- move your bikes

Hope it helps!

This is right. DWA is Deathwing Assault from the current DA codex. It allows 50% of the reserved Deathwing Terminator Squads to enter on the 1st turn. The remaining Deathwing Terminator Squads enter using normal reserve rules.

The problem is the reserve roll. Turn Two requires each individual reserve unit to roll a 4+ to arrive. If they arrive, you can place the first model within 6" of the bike squad (or is it the bike sergeant in your book? Codex Marines have to place within 6" of the sergeant) without scattering.

You must still use the Deepstrike rules for model placement, so the arriving Terminators will be nicely bunched up, and won't be able to move or assault that turn unless theytrade their shooting for a Run roll.

After all reserve units have been placed, you can use the MOvement phase to move the bikes around as needed.

Dark Angel Terminators- known as Deathwing Terminators, have a special rule called "Death Wing Assault". Much like "Drop Pod Assault" it allows most of them to show up turn 1, so yes- his explanation was correct.

Thanks for the help so far guys!

Your answers led me to a couple more n00b questions:

@Grey Mage: That rule seems pretty nice, where can I check the details for that rule, is it on the codex?

-The bike's beacon is the same as an ordinary beacon, but on wheels right? So, the only advantage is that my termies won't scatter, but they can still suffer the penalties of teleporting (like dying)?

Thanks for the help so far guys!

Your answers led me to a couple more n00b questions:

@Grey Mage: That rule seems pretty nice, where can I check the details for that rule, is it on the codex?

Deathwing Assault rule is in the Codex:DA on p28

Ravenwing biker teleport homer rule is in the Codex:DA on p27.

-The bike's beacon is the same as an ordinary beacon, but on wheels right? So, the only advantage is that my termies won't scatter, but they can still suffer the penalties of teleporting (like dying)?

Yes. They are still subject to all the usual deep striking rules from the main rulebook p95.

n00b questions are fine – but if I suspect you are just fishing for 'free' rules then that is an entirely different matter. Read the pages specified above and come back with any specific queries.

Cheers

I

Archived