Units inside Vehicles and damage

Purdy81

Had a game recentley where my crusader with 7 terminators got taken out in shooting round one, as me and my mate are pretty new to playing we assumed that the terminators would be wiped out too, I nearly shed a tear, but im pretty sure that Ive seen in the rule book somewhere that they could have taken a saving throw, can anyone point me to the page in the rule book please? or give examples for the different destroyed results, wrecked expodes e.t.c

cheers

The scenario is not quite clear (at least for me).

If for example you have your 7 terminators in a Land Raider Crusader, and you opponent blows it up (hits, penetrates and gets a 6 on the vehicle damage table).

The opponent now has to roll to wound them (4+) and you can save those wounded with your regular armour saves (2+ for terminators).

Anything that isn't an explosion, it doesn't wound the transported infantry.

Hope it helps!

The scenario is not quite clear (at least for me).

If for example you have your 7 terminators in a Land Raider Crusader, and you opponent blows it up (hits, penetrates and gets a 6 on the vehicle damage table).

The opponent now has to roll to wound them (4+) and you can save those wounded with your regular armour saves (2+ for terminators).

Anything that isn't an explosion, it doesn't wound the transported infantry.

Hope it helps!

Thats exactley the way it played out except he didnt roll to wound and i didnt roll to save either, thanks for the help!

I failed to mention he also exploded my predator in his first round of shooting too! but at least I know my terminators would have likely survived.

But just to confirm it makes no difference to the wounds on the termainators what strength or ap the weapon he used to shoot the landraider has? he would still have to just roll a 4+ for each model?

But just to confirm it makes no difference to the wounds on the termainators what strength or ap the weapon he used to shoot the landraider has? he would still have to just roll a 4+ for each model?

Correct, sort of.

The S and AP of the weapon that destroyed the Land Raider makes no difference to the damage on the Terminators.

Each passenger in the exploded vehicle takes a S4 hit that must roll to wound (4+ to wound Marines), and then allows armor and invulnerable saves on the generated wounds. Normal wound allocation applies as well.

If the vehicle was Open Topped, the passengers only take a S3 hit.

In addition, whenever a vehicle Explodes, you roll a d6 for the explosion "distance." All models within the radius (measured from the vehicle's hull) take a S3 hit as well. Roll to wound, and make any applicable saves.

After all the wounds are sorted out, the passengers take a Pinning test. If they also lost 25% or more models due to casualties from the explosion (or subsequent shooting at the now-exposed passengers), they must also take a Morale test.

There is however 1 scenario where your opponent wouldn't have to roll to wound and straight away destroy your squad.

If your vehicle is surrounded by enemies and he destroys the vehicle (not explosion, only a 5 as a final result in the damage table), all your models would be wiped out because you can't deploy them.

On a side note, T3 models have a hard time when their transports get blown up... go go chimera :rolleyes:

Not true- you can also do an emergency disembark, provided you stay 1" way from all enemy models and can fit the whole unit in there.

Its really, really, really hard to kill a unit by blowing up its transport.

@Grey Mage

In a "wrecked/destroyed" scenario, if the vehicle is surrounded, you can't be at 1 inch apart of an enemy.

Only in the explosions can you deploy inside of the vehicle area... unless I'm mistaken.

Yes you can- as the vehicle is now terrain, specificly counting as difficult and dangerous. Meaning you can deploy out into it, taking dangerous terrain tests if my memory serves, and stand there.

Someone get us a new OR mod, this one's broken! :P

;) poor grey mage.. no one man can hold all knowledge.

it used to be argued that since bases are less than an inch it was possible to deploy models the other side of the enemy and still be within 2" of the vehicle, but the recent wave of FAQs marked that this constitutes moving through enemy models which is no longer permitted.

Well anyone who wanted to do that stayed about 1.5" away from the vehicle, so you couldnt..... but yeah.

I dont want to hold all knowledge- I want a library that holds all knowledge and the best index known to mankind.

edit: and for those who care, Im also horrible at spelling :tu:

For anyone interested, a common necron tactic is placing the swarms with field in B2B with the LR... surround you and immo you to death, killing the unit inside... those sneaky bots...

Archived