Using a Marine Codex

Smurfalypse

The title says it all, after a 40k layoff of over a year Ive started playing again and am just as bored with the current codex as i was previously. I really have no will or want to continue playing it, as it honestly just isn't any fun, so yelling at me for being a sissy or what have ya isn't gonna bother me in the slightest. That all being said it leaves me with a few options and i'm interested in what the respectable people of Bolter&Chainsword have to say about the subject.

1) Use the Blood Angels Codex as "Counts-As" for my precious Word Bearers. Chaplains all over the place, nifty dreadnoughts, Chaplain as my commander, are some of the pros.

2) I have a very small "Traitor Guard" army that i started about a year and a half ago. I could continue to build that up and use them. Ministorm Priests have a very Chaosy feel to em, Blobs of infantry have a good feel as well, Nuclear Missile (Deathstrike) is perfect, loads of options to make them feel like a less supplied Imperial Guard army, these are the pros i could come up with. The cons are the fact that i'm not playing Word Bearers and it feels awful (The only army i ever collected until this 1k pts of guard stuff i bought), its not a very large force so i wouldn't be able to do large games with them (until i bought more).

3) Use the C:SM Codex to fill in for the Word Bearer Legion. Less Chaplainy or religious zeal to them, but can fill in admirably. Loads of options with any sort of layout i could imagine to fulfill the role i want or need. That was both pro and con.

4) Use the Space Wolves Codex as a fill in. This is probably my least knowledgeable codex to date as i haven't read it at all, casually glanced through it one time so my info on it is very limited so i would need 100% of your advice on this one.

Lemme know what ya think. Right now i am leaning toward BA, but i am not 100% sure it is the right choice.

Thanks in advance.

Well if I were to choose any other codex aside from codex:chaos marines to represent Word Bearers, I'd choose Space wolves. Word Bearers are all about worshipping daemons right? In the other loyalists codexes theres really no way to represent Daemons. In the Codex: Space wolves however, you can use units of Fenrisian wolves to represent daemons. I could list more examples of how similar the SW codex is similar to the CSM codex, but I'll just say give it a look. If you like it, go with it. Hope this helps :D

I would use the Space Wolves if I had to pick one of the alternatives. The thing I really like about the Wolf dex is that it allows you to take more HQs than other dexes and that it includes Lone Wolves making it possible to fill up on lots of individuals that are powerful making it feel elite, just like Chaos should feel. Wolf Guard with all their options also feel more like Chosen, as they will feel more individual.

The black templer codex is the closest to a word bearer imo although none of the mentioned codex allow demons or even have a half decant way to repracent them. Have you considered using both the csm codex and demons codex in one army? i have played people who do this and no one seems to mind, plus it makes for a pretty decant army. just use the points and stats in the demon codex and use the rules for sommoning from the csm codex.

The black templer codex is the closest to a word bearer imo although none of the mentioned codex allow demons or even have a half decant way to repracent them. Have you considered using both the csm codex and demons codex in one army? i have played people who do this and no one seems to mind, plus it makes for a pretty decant army. just use the points and stats in the demon codex and use the rules for sommoning from the csm codex.

Some of my friends have mentioned that, but i would prefer not to alter rules.

Some of my friends have mentioned that, but i would prefer not to alter rules.

your not really altering rules. In the csm codex demons are summond with in 6" of an icon, you would just be using the points and stats of the demons from the demon codex. Thats how the codex should of been in the first place rather then splitting them up.

Use the Grey Knights codex to make a Sorcerous cabal and you get to use the inquisitorial stuff for cultists/traitor guard too. That way you get to use your Chaos Marine and Traitior Guard armies at the same time. At first glance a psyker-heavy army may not look too 'Word Bearers', but if you consider that the psychic powers are as a result of possession or binding of daemons into artefacts then I think you can get away with it.

your not really altering rules. In the csm codex demons are summond with in 6" of an icon, you would just be using the points and stats of the demons from the demon codex. Thats how the codex should of been in the first place rather then splitting them up.

only demons that come through our icons can charge the turn they deep strike and the demons from the demon dex cant.

only demons that come through our icons can charge the turn they deep strike and the demons from the demon dex cant.

Exactly, that is a massive difference in terms of game play.

Fair point, but the demons from csm dex are rubbish anyway. Anyone would rather use the CD dex demons then CSM dex demons

Fair point, but the demons from csm dex are rubbish anyway. Anyone would rather use the CD dex demons then CSM dex demons

True that. The generics are very very blah.

True that. The generics are very very blah.

The only advantage that the CSM daemons have is that you can have them look like or be almost anything. You want some Plaguettes, Bloodbringers, or Furies? Go ahead, nothing's stopping you. Heck, I plan on using Chaos Hounds from Fantasy to represent my Cursed Chapter's daemons since they can't be Marked as part of the original 4 anyway.

I too would say space wolves, in a legal army you can have 4 chaplains (wolf priests), grey hunters are equal to chaos marines in their equipment, but cheaper points wise. wolves easily stand in for daemons (rules wise), scouts can be cultists/followers, and as said above wolf guard are like chosen, but better.

Another for Space wolves.. Doesn't hurt that its probably the best out of your list.

I personally still can't bring myself to counts as. I agree with it completely but can't bring myself to do it. Bloody chaos codex why you so bad.

I got round being bored with the chaos codex by using the space wolf codex to represent something the chaos one couldnt do, a terminator force.

Personally, I have no problem with count as, but I'm really rather bored with the chaos codex and I'm thinking of starting a dark eldar army next :P

Another for Space wolves.. Doesn't hurt that its probably the best out of your list.

I personally still can't bring myself to counts as. I agree with it completely but can't bring myself to do it. Bloody chaos codex why you so bad.

Yeah, its a rough thing. I started to build a Traitor Guard force, but it just didnt do it for me.

Yeah I'm pretty bored w this dex too, have been after about the 10th time playing it. reciently I have started using SW dex to represent my BL. It wks pretty well, WG as make much better chosen then our chosen, rune priest a pwrful psykr like our sorc's should be, usable dreads, my old jugger riders use thunder wolf cav rules. For WB's they have an wolf priest which is their chappy, also wolf lord can have saga of majesty which would represent DA's demagogue ability quite well.

pros

SW's - all the stuff I said above

BA - having chappies all over the place is cool too

GK's - I don't know anything @ this dex, but being able to use your WB's and traitor IG at the same time would be kool. And in one of the WB's novels, they did corrupt a bunch of people to fight as traitors.

GK make nice 1k sons pre heresy. even the weapons match .

Yes, that does seem to be the closest match fluff-wise, but I think that it would work for any chaos force that could have a sorceror cabal or has a lot of dealings with daemons (and therefore possession, bound daemons and spell familiars, for example). It would be fine for an undivided chaos army to go down this route, pre-heresy 1ksons and the grey knights themselves are not aligned to any of the chaos gods.

A silver tower of Tzeentch would make a nice 'counts as' storm raven though.............

Yeah I'm pretty bored w this dex too, have been after about the 10th time playing it. reciently I have started using SW dex to represent my BL. It wks pretty well, WG as make much better chosen then our chosen, rune priest a pwrful psykr like our sorc's should be, usable dreads, my old jugger riders use thunder wolf cav rules. For WB's they have an wolf priest which is their chappy, also wolf lord can have saga of majesty which would represent DA's demagogue ability quite well.

pros

SW's - all the stuff I said above

BA - having chappies all over the place is cool too

GK's - I don't know anything @ this dex, but being able to use your WB's and traitor IG at the same time would be kool. And in one of the WB's novels, they did corrupt a bunch of people to fight as traitors.

Never thought about the using the guard stuff with it (with the special character at least), thats a good idea. Will check it out once the codex shows up in the mail. I also need to pick up the SW codex apparently as that seems to be the consensus on what would be best to use, though someone mentioned it was the "best" of the codexs listed so i hope its not just because of that :P

Archived