Busted old Terminator reclamation project

I've always loved Terminators. When I was younger, I couldn't buy 'em fast enough. But this was also the time when I first started experimenting with greenstuff and conversions. A few bad decisions later, I ended up with many awful, beat-up old Termies.

Now I'm getting into Grey Knights, and excited about being able to take Termies as troops without any list-building shenanigans. To help that along, I plan to fish these poor models out of my bitz box and bring them up to spec with the "new" Terminator dimensions by sprinkling-in a light dose of the GK Termie kit. Then go kick some arse.

Let's open with the sheer horror that I'm starting from...

med_gallery_9378_5941_42079.jpg

gallery_9378_5941_1120.jpg

More as it develops!

Bachelor #1 is a former Despoiler and has led more than a dozen Black Crusades with varying degrees of effectiveness. Unfortunately, I picked him up around age 14 and REALLY ran him through the wringer. Bachelor #1, come on down...

gallery_9378_5941_7542.jpg

I found a hacksaw among the tools in my basement, and started working on that torso. It took another pass after this one to get him where I wanted:

gallery_9378_5941_30400.jpg

Two additional Bachelors are now joining the fray; one is nasty, old, and plastic, while the other was a fairly successful Wolf Lord until just recently...

gallery_9378_5941_11006.jpg

The next step will be to provide a modern "torso plug" for these guys. Modern leg & butt plates might get in there as well. Thankfully I do have one pair of modern Termie legs to cast from...

In the last few days I've been starting to cast pieces off my one pair of modern Termie legs. First up is the "torso plug."

gallery_9378_5941_52995.jpg

Slicing them down and starting to affix them...

gallery_9378_5941_6925.jpg

I've also been starting to work on the bases for these bad boys. I found a basing tutorial I like elsewhere on the B&C. I'm really pleased with how quickly they come together.

med_gallery_9378_5941_1436.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update while I'm thinking about it:

Progress continues, slowed primarily by gathering & prepping the other models I'll be using in my initial 500-pt Grey Knight force (not *all* Termies). The first deliverable for my Terminator reclamation project will, therefore, be the three I've highlighted thus far. These will stand beside two brand-new all-plastic Termies to form a small GKT squad. If the project (and army) continues beyond that, I will try to push my old-to-new ratio with the next squad down to four-to-one.

More as it develops...

Ahh the old SW metal terms I spot in there - they are great models.

I have a stack of old ones myself - really tempted to strip them and paint them as a "tactical" terminator squad for my black templar division. Something very cool about the old school ones.

Looking good so far cant wait to see how they are going to look when they are done. I know your pain on the old termie models I have a complete deathwing army made of nothing but the old metal termies. Luckly i was young and only glued them together with little to no modeling added to them. I have always had a soft spot for the old ones though.

• 3 weeks later...

Project progress continues to be slow, but I've expanded my scope to a full 5-man squad, so that's bound to happen. I've identified all the bits I want to use for all of them; now it's just a matter of putting them all together.

Here's what Abaddon's looking like these days. What these pics don't show is the magnet-job on his right wrist & left shoulder. ++EDIT: Added this below.++

med_gallery_9378_5941_5925.jpg

gallery_9378_5941_987.jpg

med_gallery_9378_5941_23335.jpg

In other news, I've decided to forego using Logan's legs for now, purely due to greater interest in other old leg bits I have available.

Thanks Mr.Malevolent!

The other night I went through and blue-tacked the whole squad together to make sure I still liked where they're going. They all need lots of work, but I thought I'd post them for comments before I get stuck too deep into 'em.

First up is a guy making conspicuous use of the Black Templar bitz I got years ago.

gallery_9378_5941_22444.jpg

This next guy's assault cannon will be converted to a Psycannon, albeit slightly different-looking than the current plastics.

med_gallery_9378_5941_14771.jpg

This guy is a real fixer-upper, having suffered grievous mistreatment in the name of my first "truescale" experiments. I booted Logan's legs off the island because this poor guy just needed to be saved. Note that he still needs his GK-style above-the-head hood thingie.

med_gallery_9378_5941_14186.jpg

Finally, we come to the Justicar. He's using the pair of plain plastic legs from past photos. I decided to give him Logan's gun arm because the Crux will help mark him as the leader.

med_gallery_9378_5941_16913.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Archived