Converted Veteran Sister Superior

maquisapa

http://images.myphotoalbum.com/s/sc/sco/scot/scott/scottandpia/albums/album44/converted_vss.sized.jpg

I created this veteran sister superior for my Preceptory of the Winged Victory army. She started with a standard VSS model. I used a dremmel to remove her original head, and replaced it with the helmet from the SoB immolator kit. I then removed the bolter from her right hand with a pair of hobby cutters, smoothed it with a dremmel, and replaced it with a power axe from the old spare weapons sprues. Because I wanted her armed with an eviscerator, I sliced off the cutting end of the axe, and then used the end bit from an old chainsword, cut it, and glued it in place (upside down). I removed the sword from her left hand, replaced the hand with an eldar guardian hand, and added an old blood angels banner. I removed the blood angels iconography from it, and covered the removed bits with forgeworld purity seals. The flamer on the top is from an inquisitor henchman, and on the back is fueled by twin fuel cannisters from an imperial guard sentinel kit. I also used some of the forgeworld purity seals to hide imperfections on her right knee. I'm pretty pleased with her overall.

I would appreciate any comments, critiques, or suggestions.

I've also included a link to see the rest of the army (so far)

Preceptory of the Winged Victory

@averykess - Two good suggestions. I'll fill in the gaps with greenstuff. As for where the axe lines up with the hand, you are absolutely right. The axe is pinned, and I tried very hard to get it to sit right; it still came out like this. I'll give it one more shot.

@Dawnrunner42 - I bought the banner YEARS ago from the bits van when it came visiting my old gaming store. It went to some metal blood angels mini. I have no idea if it is still available or not.

@Davethetwisted - I've always liked chain axes. My old marine army veterans had them almost exclusively. This one seemed suitably hefty to count as an eviscerator; two-handed, has the power weapon thingy on the side, and the biting teeth.

I'm not particularly skilled with a dremmel. I have a bit head that is meant for chewing out metal that came with my set. For removing anything, I recommend first removing most of what you want gone with hobby clippers. I have a pair that I use exclusively for clipping off bits of metal from models. The second thing I recommend is that you get yourself a decent clamp to hold your figure very steady. I clipped mine to an old table in my garage. For the dremmel, I started it at a slow speed, and sped up little by little till I found a speed that allowed me to remove metal at a controlled pace. For this model, I had to dig a hole deep enough to seat the helmet. That took lots of digging, fitting, digging, fitting, etc. Once that was deep enough, I had to carefully round out the inside of the collar so that it was even thickness all around. As a testament to my lack of skill with the dremmel, notice that I accidentally gouged the tubing on the model's right side of the neck. I'll try to use a bit of guitar wire to address that. Or maybe a little green stuff.

One more bit of dremmel advice. Get yourself some safety glasses. I generated a lot of metal shavings; no fun to have in your eyes.

Thanks for the feedback!

I like it! As mentioned earlier, that gap on the axehead needs to be filled. Another suggestion would be (if it's not too hard to reposition the hand), to add more of a shaft on the axe, so it's more of a halbard/polearm kind of chainaxe. This could be done with some brass tube or something with relative ease and i think it would balance out the weight distribution of the weapon.

Nicely done! The flow of everything heading to the model left is well done. Think that I may have to nick this one.

The only thing is 'idea' of a axe Vs. that of a sword. I guess that I see an axe as a two handed weapon and a sword as a one handed, and with her holding a banner she would have a hard time using a ax without dropping or planting the banner in the ground.

Archived