Terminators, Combat Squads, Deep Strike

MasterHQ

Ok, so I've been through the whole C:SM and I can't figure this one out. It says on pg 51 that eligible units split into combat squads at deployment, but it specifically mentions the exception for units in a pod. What about Terminators who teleport onto the battlefield? If they can go Combat Squad at deployment like everyone else, is that applied when they enter play via teleportation? ie- a 10 man terminator unit rolls for reserves and teleports onto the battlefield, but splits into combat squads during the teleportation move and arrives on the battlefield as 2 different units of 5 terminators. Is that legal?

hope its not too convoluted. Thanks.

I'm pretty certain, but can't cite any sources at this moment, that they split into combat squads when they arrive from reserve. That is when they deep strike in, they split into two squads. I believe that means that each combat squad can teleport in to seperate locations, but both combat squads must arrive at the same time.

The common consensous is that units coming on from reserve may combat squad.

The drop pod exception is relevant that a unit in a transport (say 10 tac marines in a rhino) can't drive on in the rhino then combat squad.

It says on pg 51 that eligible units split into combat squads at deployment

Actually it says "when the unit is deployed". And that does not necessarily have to happen during the initial deployment phase of the game.

From BRB, p. 94, "Reserves":

"When deploying their army, players may choose not to deploy one or more of the units in their army and instead leave them in reserve. (...)

(...)

Once all of the units have been rolled for, the player picks any one of the units arriving and deploys it, moving it onto the table as described later."

From BRB, p. 95, "Deep Strike":

"Roll for arrival of these units as specified in the rules for reserves and then deploy them as follows."

I.e. a unit is "deployed" at the moment it enters the game. A deep strike unit is "deployed" in the turn it arrives from reserve. So a 10 man Terminator squad can decide to split into combat squads and deep strike the combat squads in different locations in the turn they become available from reserve.

BRB, page 95, Deep Strike

Roll for the arrival of these units (In reserve) as specified in the rules for reserves and then DEPLOY them as follows...

Seems pretty cut & dry to me, Deep Strike is your deployment and that is when you do your combat squad split.

Because the Combat squads rule says quite explicitly that you can deploy both combat squads in different locations that will allow you to roll 1 reserve roll, then proceed with the deployment of Combat Squad A, followed by Combat Squad B.

I'm pretty sure you CANNOT deploy Squad A, do some other reserves action THEN deploy Squad B...

Fairly certain you'd have to do 1 after the other before moving to the next unit.

The problem is the SM FAQ:

Q: Can you take a Drop Pod with a 10-man squad and

then put a combat squad in it, deploying the other combat

squad on the table, or leave it in reserve but not in the

Drop Pod? (p69)

A: No, because squads that are placed in reserve may not

break down into combat squads.

While I would have liked that it said that you can't put one combat squad in reserve and one on the table, it says "squads that are placed in reserve may not break down into combat squads."

Which is excessively stupid, considering the above answers. So no, you cannot deep-strike as the terminators were placed in reserve.

The problem with the faq, is it was made to deal with drop pods and nothing else, because units deploying by drop pods combat squad after leaving it, and thus there are 2 units in the transport, which as we know cant happen.

because squads that are placed in reserve may not

This stops them combat squading before they deploy, so to stop you taking 2 tactical squads, combat squading them and having 4 reserve rolls.

However, when you deploy a unit, they are no longer in reserve and are being deployed, and thus you can combat squad because you are not in reserve.

However, when you deploy a unit, they are no longer in reserve and are being deployed, and thus you can combat squad because you are not in reserve.

Sums it up nicely.

So the original question:

Is that legal?

Yes it is :)

Yeh, there was a heated debate about this not too long ago. http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=219492. The eventual general consensus was that units were only prevented from combat squadding while In reserve and the drop pod FAQ was specific to pods only. This was supported by the Grand Tournament FAQ.

The problem is the SM FAQ:
Q: Can you take a Drop Pod with a 10-man squad and

then put a combat squad in it, deploying the other combat

squad on the table, or leave it in reserve but not in the

Drop Pod? (p69)

A: No, because squads that are placed in reserve may not

While I would have liked that it said that you can't put one combat squad in reserve and one on the table, it says "squads that are placed in reserve may not break down into combat squads."

Which is excessively stupid, considering the above answers. So no, you cannot deep-strike as the terminators were placed in reserve.

As others have said, that FaQ is a bit ambiguous. What it is most likely saying is that a squad cannot be divided into combat squads at the time they are put in reserve. So you cannot say "I keep these 10 Marines in reserve, and combat squad them, one combat squad will arrive via drop pod and one will walk on". The squad can only be divided into combat squad at the moment they are deployed. They cannot be put in reserve as combat squads. They have to be put in reserve as a full 10 man squad.

Archived