54mm (I think) Space Marine. Advise me!

I've hit a bit of a wall with this. I've been painting it as a Deathwing but Im not sure it works at this scale. Its a bugger to paint anyway because of the sheer amount of detail but Im thinking the colours are a bit clean and a little washed out. Note that this is only about 30% done at best, Im sure you can tell by all the Devlan Mud swimming about all over the leg plates. So, should I carry on with the Deathwing theme (if so how should I improve it?) or should I strip it and start again painting it in a different chapters colours? Also, how do you strip resin and green stuff? Is Fairy Power Spray (Simple Green to some of you) safe to use on resin?

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv258/wallumc1/IMG_2004.jpg

Size comparison with a 28mm Space Marine

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv258/wallumc1/IMG_2006.jpg

I have one rule I force myself to live by with any painting or sculpting project: Finish what you start. No matter how bad you think something is coming out, finishing it teaches you more than restarting from frustration. With this piece, I see your concern with the 'clean and washed out' appearance, but the larger scale allows you (well forces really) to invest more time and effort on the model....this may mean creating detail with paint that isnt sculpted into the piece already. Yes, the over washing of mud is distracting right now, but that is only because it is not uniform across the figure, leaving some areas cleaner than others. Ithink if you work on the shins with clean bone you may get a nice aged/antiqued appearance around the filigree, and this might make you happier overall.

as to stripping...well ive had problems stripping greenstuff....but resin strips fine for me when i use simple green.

Well first of, it's not a 54mm miniature, it's probably intended to be a "true scale" 28mm. The inquisitor range from gw is 54 mm scale, and the artemis marine from that range is true scale opposed to the regular humans from the range and is this big compared to a standard gw SM:

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/my%20hobby%20rebirth/230620101610.jpg

It has a very hard time fitting on the 60mm base originally supplied in the kit.

Back to your mini:

I would recommend you to make the bone colour on the shins a bit more flat, give it a single highlight in between the ornamentation and then shade around the edges of the ornamentation with a thinned down ink or a wash, this should define the detail a bit without making it look messy. I'd also go over the entire ornamentation with a detail brush and paint it black and then some sort of metal colour (like gold) to make it stand out. And then to unify the look of the mini a bit I'd paint the loin cloth and chest ornamentation the same way.

Hope that helped a bit :lol:

The leg plates aren't finished and I had intended to go over the bone colour and then the detail in a seperate colour. I wasn't going to leave it as it is! Like I said this is still in the early stages of completion but what Im asking is the power armour colour scheme (top half) working or does it look a bit flat? Im considering starting again in a bolder scheme, maybe Blood Angels. I'd say its a bit big to be true scale isn't it? But you're right, its probably not 54mm, I dont know what it.

Archived