The King of Thorns

Hey everyone, I wasn't sure if i should give this its own topic or stick it in with my astral claws army, but i went for the first option obviously. Lately I have been ramping up the amount of 2D art i've been doing as I am trying to get a job in the art field and came up with the idea to draw the palace of Thorns. Then i decided to add a giant statue of Lugft Huron in front of it, cause I mean, he is an egomaniac, so I don't doubt that he had one. Any way, heres the initial sketch on the start on the details.

gallery_35045_5954_378859.jpg

gallery_35045_5954_252150.jpg

I already realize i have to re work his left shoulder pad, hows the anatomy on the poor guy supporting/getting crushed by Huron look? I figure Huron see the humans of the Imperium as merely being there to support the Astartes. The base of the tower is also going to be being supported by a bunch of human statues, think the ministry of magic in the newest harry potter film if you have seen it.

A few questions:

1.Should it be in color or black and white?

2. What should the statue be made of, stone or bronze/gold/etc?

3 What should the palace look like? Thorny?

Comments and crit welcome.

Alright, the images should be fixed now for those of you who couldn't see it.

@epherous: I meant black and white as in the over all composition. I don't know because it seems like a picture that might benefit from it, like the ones that are in the codexs. If I make the statue gold or something then it might be better to do in color, that way you can also notice the maelstrom behind his claw.

I'd say the Palace of Thorns has roses. Lots of roses.

I'd also say, be careful with you proportions. The flamer is to long and I think that blades on the back of his hand could do to be a bit longer. As for the human under foot, you've got him to flat to have his legs under him (on his stomach maybe) but you know I wonder if that isn't a bad thing? If I understand your idea for this piece and the background fuff, I wonder if you shouldn't "screw" with the proportions of the humans in the statue. Sounds to me the Huron sees SMs (and more himself) as the perfect form and to have anything that isn't Marine be 'perfect' may get the sculptor killed. So maybe ugly to face of the human and have so fun with the proportions of the humans on the base.

Oh, and I think color may look the best.

Quick update. Fixed some of the proportion issues brought up and drew in some people for scale, also put the 2 images together to get a better idea of the finished product. I am going to make more people in the crown but will probably just copy paste a bunch of guys to save me time.

gallery_35045_5954_334670.jpg

Archived