Chapter Tactics and mutliple army lists

Valkyrion

In a nice big game you decide to field a Crimson Fists army using the normal army list, the siege assault army list and the Tyrants Legion army list.

Q1: Chapter Tactics states that all units in the army exchange combat tactics for stubborn - so does this carry over across the different army lists? So my Tyrants Legion marines and siege marines are all stubborn.

Q2: If I also field, say, counts as Shrike, could I choose to have my codex army list fleet and the rest stubborn, or should it just be one? Assuming that this is one big army drawn from three different army lists.

In short - do chapter tactics apply to just a single army list, the whole entire army across all the army lists, or are you free to mix and match?

Cheers.

Q1- I dont see why it wouldnt carry over. Some combinations might not work.... say, if the list made all the marines in it fearless. Theyd be fearless, and stubbor, but fearless mostly makes stubborn obsolete eh?

Q2- Using multiple detachments, as outlined in the BRB you could probly do that. Otherwise Im not sure what you mean....

In short- most armies are only chosen from one list in 40k. If your in apocalypse you need to talk it over with your opponent. If your using multiple detachments each one must meet its own requirements and will get its own benefits.

The Tyrants Legion army list has marines in it that have Combat Tactics, but they have no option to field any character that changes combat tactics to chapter tactics, so as a stand alone army list they cannot be stubborn/fleet/outflank etc.

What I want to know basically is what constitues an 'army'.

So if I take Kantor using Codex Space Marines and add units from the Tyrants Legion army list, which is a stand alone army list in its own right, do the space marine units in the Tyrants Legion benefit from Kantors Chapter Tactics?

The Siege Assault list allows you to have characters that do swap combat tactics for chapter tactics. So, carrying on the example of using Kantor and C:SM with added siege units, could I have another character with different chapter tactics if I wanted? Alternatively, would Kantors C:SM chapter tactics carry over automatically to the siege assault list?

It depends what an army is. Is it the whole army with everything combined, or each individual army list?

If you decided that all units from each list get to exchange combat tactics for a chapter tactic from a specific character, you would only be able to choose one chapter tactic to follow. As per the codex with multiple chapter tactics available, you only choose one(either shrike's tactic OR kantor's tacic, for the entire army(all 3 lists), in this example).

If you were to run them as allied separate detachments (say one with shrike and the other with kantor), then each detachment would get the chapter tactic of their respective leader, but it wouldn't share between the armies, and if you had a third detachment with no chapter tactics character, they would retain combat tactics as normal for their own units.

Edit: This is the two ways I would play it anyways, the first one is simplest, the other one allows more customization. Allowing chapter tactics to stack feels like rules abuse to me, and is explicitly not allowed in the rules in the codex(unsure if apocalypse would allow you to break that rule)

Archived