Chaos Possessed Tactics

bento-of-the-earth

Hey guys. Recently I have been trying to build off of my Word Bearers legion, and decided to add some Slaanesh 'prisoners' on board their salvaged space vessel.

They are pretty much a band of 10-15 mutated astartes who were captured on a space hulk and now get used as cannon fodder. The only one who isn't completely insane is the squad leader, the rest of them fight with chains or spikes growing in place of their arms. I need a unit that can represent them with only CC weapons, and can take a mark of slaanesh, plus some suitably horrific pieces. Obviously the closest thing to this would be a large squad of possessed.

But as we all know, Possessed as a unit pretty much suck.

I have used several parts of Possessed throughout my army for converting aspiring champions and the lie, but does anyone know of some use or tactics for using them as they were meant to be used? Thank you all in advance, I know you have your work cut out for you on this one lol.

1) Noise Marines would be my first choice for mutated Slaaneshi troops. The art depicts them as being heavily mutated usually and you can make a semi-decent assault unit with them with a Power Fist Champion and Doom Siren. The only thing it doesn't match up with your requirements is they aren't CC only.

2) If you want to use Possessed, I would stick to 8-10 guys so that you can use a Rhino. Keep them cheap and use them as a distraction or tarpit unit against the enemy. S5, Fearless and a 5++ save means that they can hold up nasty MCs and do some damage in return. They are also strong enough to assault AV10 rear armor and actually destroy it. A key thing to remember is that they lack frag grenades so that I5 you're paying for is useless in cover. Think of them as a disposable roadblock or assault unit to protect your more valuable squads. As far as the daemonic gift, rending and power weapons are the most damaging so send them against Terminators or big nasties if you get that. Feel no pain is great for a tarpit unit. Fleet and furious charge aren't bad but they're basically a passive bonus in that you wouldn't really change how you play them if you get those abilities. Scout is useful now that you can move in your Rhino.

Scout is useful now that you can move in your Rhino.

We need explanations on that point minigun.

A unit that has Scouts confers that ability to their dedicated transport if they start within it. Therefore, if the Possessed roll up Scouts and have a DT, like a Rhino, then when deployed in it they can either take their Scout movement of 12" before the game, or Outflank in it later during the game. Very handy with many tactical applications.

A unit that has Scouts confers that ability to their dedicated transport if they start within it. Therefore, if the Possessed roll up Scouts and have a DT, like a Rhino, then when deployed in it they can either take their Scout movement of 12" before the game, or Outflank in it later during the game. Very handy with many tactical applications.

This.

Prior to this the Scout move was not transfered to the DT so if you took a Rhino (which you should) and rolled Scout, you had wasted your power.

However I don't think you can use Scout to Outflank as the special power roll is after deployment (another weakness of the unit).

This.

Prior to this the Scout move was not transfered to the DT so if you took a Rhino (which you should) and rolled Scout, you had wasted your power.

However I don't think you can use Scout to Outflank as the special power roll is after deployment (another weakness of the unit).

Ah, in that case just the extra movement. Still, that can be hugely beneficial.

For me possessed are very cool with enormous modelling potential and extremely flufftastic.

They fail in one main regard for me, no grenades. This is crazy, an assault unit without grenades. I don't understand this at all.

The 'I might roll a crap power, so they ain't very good' thing is less valid than the grenades. You might roll an average power true, but then this IS chaos and it IS a test of your abilities as a general after all :)

fufftastic indeed! I think I'll be using that 10man unit, throw them in a rhino and keep them as a bit of a joker unit - I don't know what they'll do, but if anything comes up, they'll be ready to do it. Luckily I play with AS, which is very helpful for weaker units like thes guys :cuss

This.

I dont have my book with me but isn't Possessed Powers rolled up after deployment?

They fail in one main regard for me, no grenades. This is crazy, an assault unit without grenades. I don't understand this at all.

Welcome to my world.

http://www.troududiable.com/IMG/tyranid.jpg

Welcome to my world.

http://www.troududiable.com/IMG/tyranid.jpg

This, as I've found out recently after reviving my Nid army :)

This.

I dont have my book with me but isn't Possessed Powers rolled up after deployment?

This is where my tortured spirit is going to. They roll Daemonic Nature after deployments.

Archived