Undercoating Blood Angels

1Drop

Ok so quite simply what do you guys undercoat your blood angels with, White or black?

I'm thinking of doing mine black as I'm just used to black undercoating but does anyone disagree and think they should be done in White? I'm open to suggestion as I want my models to look their best!

I like using black... makes the metal parts easier to paint, Also any misses you do (not covering the black base) will look like a shadow or something like it

I've done mine in black. Gives them more of a darker/grimey red. Not personally a fan of the bright "just rolled out of the carwash" red. Plus it's my way of saying "These are Blood Angels. There are many like them but these are mine."

Yeah that's why I was thinking doing them black too but I have seen that alot of people actually do them White.. Think I'll be doing them black as I already have chaos black spray and it'll just look better!!

I'll probably do a few coats of thinned mechrite followed by thinned coats of blood red

Then devlan mud wash then blood red again and finally highlight in blazing orange, sounds great,

Can't wait to get started ;)

I have tried both black and white...Personal Preference leans me towards black...Mechrite makes red much easier these days. I find it easier to paint lighter layers up than to shade lighter colours.

Chaos Black spray is paint, not primer.

I like the AP spray primer Pure Red. You can get your base coat done in no time flat with this stuff. If you want to go a darker red, try the dragon red spray they make.

Personally, starting black and then mechrite and then and then and then... is way too much work and paint for troops, it takes too long and if done in haste can build up enough paint to hide detail. I'd save that technique for vets and IC's but take it easy on yourself when you have a ten man squad to paint.

I like the AP spray primer Pure Red. You can get your base coat done in no time flat with this stuff. If you want to go a darker red, try the dragon red spray they make.

Personally, starting black and then mechrite and then and then and then... is way too much work and paint for troops, it takes too long and if done in haste can build up enough paint to hide detail. I'd save that technique for vets and IC's but take it easy on yourself when you have a ten man squad to paint.

What is this primer you talk of and can I get it in England?

I'm a pretty lousy painter, but I prime white. I like the oranged old-school look, so I use the standard white->blood red->blazing orange highlights->vomit brown extreme highlights. Makes them pop, especially with all the bling I give them :-)

White primer. I suck at painting red on a black background.

Citadel Colour spray cans are designed for undercoating metal and plastic models. The purpose of the undercoat is twofold: it acts as a primer and it provides a flat base colour to paint onto. You will find that a spray finish is far flatter and better to paint onto than a brushed undercoat
Taken from GW's homepage.

- Chaos black (and skull white) are primers. They might not be as effective as dedicated primers, but they are primers nonetheless.

I'm a pretty lousy painter, but I prime white. I like the oranged old-school look, so I use the standard white->blood red->blazing orange highlights->vomit brown extreme highlights. Makes them pop, especially with all the bling I give them :-)

Yeah the vomit brown very highlights look really good.

really depends on if you want to have a darker or lighter shade with as few coats as possible. if you want more vibrant colors, use white. if you want darker colors use black.

dragon red from army painter is awesome too.

I kind of eluded to this in my earlier post, but simply put black and white will effect the resulting color, but if you want to make the color more rich, base green, if you want to go more bright, then base yellow, as opposed to simply darker or lighter.

If you look at a color wheel and set your color to red the complementary color is green, the triadic colors are blue and yellow. IN the case of all the primary colors if you want to darken them while still maintaining color correctness you simply add the complimentary color, by adding triadic color you can lighten the color and change the hue, all the while increasing or decreasing the value of the color.

Try it some time and I think you will be surprised by the results.

Ashton

What is this primer you talk of and can I get it in England?

Yeah you can, they are based in Denmark but sell all over. Your local non-GW hobby store probably already stocks it, or it's available online too. Here is their website: http://www.thearmypainter.com you can probably find sellers from there. Their Pure Red is very close to a Blood Red color, very bright but missing a little bit of the orange. The Dragon Red is darker, more like Red Gore, and could be a good start for a darker BA red. Stick to the Testors brand Dullcote though.

I kind of eluded to this in my earlier post, but simply put black and white will effect the resulting color, but if you want to make the color more rich, base green, if you want to go more bright, then base yellow, as opposed to simply darker or lighter.

If you look at a color wheel and set your color to red the complementary color is green, the triadic colors are blue and yellow. IN the case of all the primary colors if you want to darken them while still maintaining color correctness you simply add the complimentary color, by adding triadic color you can lighten the color and change the hue, all the while increasing or decreasing the value of the color.

Ashton

Hmmm, never thought of that. I think I'll have to try it sometime.

Ashton

Hmm. What sort of green primer would you suggest? Your run of the mill regular flat green?

White undercoat for sure!

"We are here to rock your ***** face" is what your paint-job should scream IMO.

Carefully apply devlan mud to every single tiny recesses and creases of the armor, small amounts of shading in other areas, and a thin highlight of some blazing orange. Everybody within sight will come over and check out your games.

Just make sure to paint anything that will be metal black after the blood red coat. And to help offset the bright red, i like to paint the shoulder trim black as well.

I undercoat white, use Solar Macharian Orange to base, then Blood Red, wash with Baal red, and then rehighlight with blood/blazing orange as necessary. I find that it can be kind a slow, but I love the way it comes out. I get compliments a lot at local tournaments :whoops:

Archived