Undercoating Blood Angels

1Drop

Basecoat black, undercoat with 50/50 dark flesh/blood red, shade the recesses with 2:1:1 chaos black, dark flesh and blood red, build to pure blood red, highlight with blazing orange with a transition to vomit brown on the extremes, then a baal red wash to tie it all together.

It's a simplification of the Space Hulk masterclass from WD 356. Makes for a nice, warm red.

I kind of eluded to this in my earlier post, but simply put black and white will effect the resulting color, but if you want to make the color more rich, base green, if you want to go more bright, then base yellow, as opposed to simply darker or lighter.

If you look at a color wheel and set your color to red the complementary color is green, the triadic colors are blue and yellow. IN the case of all the primary colors if you want to darken them while still maintaining color correctness you simply add the complimentary color, by adding triadic color you can lighten the color and change the hue, all the while increasing or decreasing the value of the color.

Try it some time and I think you will be surprised by the results.

Ashton

Hmm. What sort of green primer would you suggest? Your run of the mill regular flat green?

Well the shade of green you use will effect the look of the red...If you go with darker greens you will get richer deeper reds, lighter greens will produce warmer reds. Go to any hardware store and you will find a large assortment of greens available to use.

Ashton

Basecoat black, undercoat with 50/50 dark flesh/blood red, shade the recesses with 2:1:1 chaos black, dark flesh and blood red, build to pure blood red, highlight with blazing orange with a transition to vomit brown on the extremes, then a baal red wash to tie it all together.

It's a simplification of the Space Hulk masterclass from WD 356. Makes for a nice, warm red.

This sounds nice.. You got any pics of the finished product or even better some step by steps would be amazing.

Sorry I don't. I get a camera with decent resolution only rarely. You could look at the pictures of my libby that are in my album, I use the technique for the red on it and my dreadnaught, though I use the full recipe from the WD. If I ever get a camera worth anything maybe I'll write a tutorial.

Archived