Help with a DC Rhino

Losfer Werds

I started with a black spray base, then gave the whole thing a quick coat of chaos black to take care of any spots the spray missed, plus it makes it look a little less flat. The issue I ran in to was with the red saltiers; getting them straight was a pain with the graphic tape I was using (if anyone has a better idea for tape I'm open to suggestions), not to mention I'm getting some really bad brush lines. Any C&C is appreciated.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j260/LosferWerds/2011-04-04_18-20-32_849.jpg

Once the spray paint dries on the rest of the pieces, I'm thinking about making the outside part of the cupolas (hatches) red, and doors black. Just trying to offset the all the black with a dash of color.

Yeah they are a pain to keep straight. I tried tapeing and airbrushing, fail. I ended up using a ruler and a pencil for guide lines and did it by hand. Brush strokes are going to show when you have the paint too thick, you need to thin it with a bit of water. Although that seems counter productive when trying to cover black with red...

gallery_43967_5759_1492167.jpg

gallery_43967_5759_1228357.jpg

You could spray the top red and then mask out the saltires, then spray black over that?

If I could do it again, ^^^THIS^^^ is what I should have done to my Stormraven, since I practically had to over the red that leaked under the tape. It definitely would have been easier the other way. ;)

I've been wondering what a good technique for doing this would be too, I'm open to suggestion too... So what is the best way really?

I used painters tape and masked off my drop pod. I started out with mech red, and then used not to thin blood red and then finished it with baal red ink. It turned out not to bad.. I find the best way to avoid brush strokes is thin paint though. It really helps.

DP%20closed%202.jpg

PS: to keep the paint from bleeding under tape use a small smooth tool to press down on the edge of the tape after you apply it, it will help.

I've been wondering what a good technique for doing this would be too, I'm open to suggestion too... So what is the best way really?

BEST way is to buy FW's Death Company Rhino bits. :cuss

Yeah that's all good but I'm doin a DC stormraven not a rhino, do they have SR DC bits too?

Ah that's awesome, how much are they? And do you know how much they charge for their BA termie pads? May aswel get some of them at the same time for my cc termies (off subject a bit but my face when I opened my cc termie box and seen a sprue full of lightning claws, oh my days, cc heaven, I'm a true Baal kid at heart, haha)

Ok here is the real trick for using painters tape:

stick down the tape onto the black paint job where you want it, then where you want the red to be...paint it black. The black will leak under the painters tape, and seal it off so that the red won't leak. After the black is dry, then paint on your red, let it dry and peel off the tape, no leaks!

But using tape on the top of a rhino was nearly impossible for me. Just draw some guidelines with a pencil and freehand it, if it looks straight then that's all that matters right?

Ok so do the FW DC rhino bits definitely fit the stormraven too? They are awesome, I wanna order them but I gotta know if they will do the job first!!?

Work continues:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j260/LosferWerds/2011-04-05_13-26-16_140.jpg

Adding a name scroll to the front I was thinking of calling this one "Mortis Rubre". I think that's the right conjugation for Red Death in Latin. Then of course smoke launchers and a spot light.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j260/LosferWerds/2011-04-05_13-25-27_220.jpg

I still have some work to do on the interior, benches need a dash of color, I'm thinking Bleached Bone for the seats and boltgun for the supports. Maybe a BA emblem and some script on the driver's door.

Those Rhino doors of Forge World are pretty great (HERE); I might pick them up later.

Terminator pads as well.

Pretty much finished, until I notice some small issue and have to fix it. Thank @ Red Fury for the painting advice, I thinned out the paint and had a lot less brush strokes.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j260/LosferWerds/FinishedRhino.jpg

And the interior. (Repainted the benches right after I looked at this pic so there's a little better coverage with the Boltgun Metal.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j260/LosferWerds/FinishedRhinointerior.jpg

It looks awesome, how did you get all the data on the green screens? Did you just use a fine detail brush?

Actually I just noticed you have loads of really smart looking lettering on the rhino itself, again, fine detail brush?

I've heard of some people using some kind of pen, do you know what kind of pen they use?

It looks awesome, how did you get all the data on the green screens? Did you just use a fine detail brush?

Actually I just noticed you have loads of really smart looking lettering on the rhino itself, again, fine detail brush?

I've heard of some people using some kind of pen, do you know what kind of pen they use?

With this:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j260/LosferWerds/2011-04-10_10-23-46_988.jpg

Its basically a cheap 10/0 that I hacked down to about 1cm long and about .5mm thick; the bristles are fairly stiff so its almost like writing with a pencil.

Ah cool, how did you get the brissles so stiff?

I really wanna do this too as I feel with the right tool I'll be able to get some pretty good scroll work done!

Ps.. What's a '10/0'?

I really wanna do this too as I feel with the right tool I'll be able to get some pretty good scroll work done!

Ps.. What's a '10/0'?

Try to find a stiff bristle "spotter" a 10/0 is about as small as they come. I used an xacto knife to carve off bunches of bristles until there were only about 10 or so left (or enough to still pick up paint).

Ps.. What's a '10/0'?

Try to find a stiff bristle "spotter" a 10/0 is about as small as they come. I used an xacto knife to carve off bunches of bristles until there were only about 10 or so left (or enough to still pick up paint).

What kind of shop will I find such a brush in, model shop I presume? Or would they have one in an art supplies store?

Check art supply stores. I get most of my brushes from Michael's craft stores.

Yeah I live in England so I dunno what that is! Haha, I'll have to improvise!

Archived