Mordrak and Stormravens

OK, so what's the RAW definition of "accompanying" if it's not "joining"?

There isnt one, the rule is currently unusable.

To you. Nice opinion.

The rule is unusable without a House Rule.

I don't understand why you need a house rule. Grey Mage may ride in a transport or pilot it but either way he is 'joining it in action'... which is the definition of 'accompanies'. I mean, we are speaking English, are we not?

However if your being that general why not make it the whole army? After all he is accompanying the entire army to the battle, since an army is made up of units I guess none of them scatter.

Heck, I mean the way his rules are worded- if you can accompany a transport you could keep a landraider in reserves and it would arrive turn 1.

Thats why it doesnt work- it can be taken to many ways, and none of them can be clarified without just saying 'well, I think it works like thus" and little else.

if you can accompany a transport you could keep a landraider in reserves and it would arrive turn 1.

Not if Mordrak was embarked in the LR. ;)

The LR can't Deep Strike, so MOrdrak wouldn't be entering play using DS and wouldn't be able to us his First to the Fray.

However, the SR can DS (and if I'm honest, one of the reasons I thought this was cool in the first place was the utter lack of Locator Beacons to help our non Teleporting Deep Striking. Servo Skulls just don't cut it.).

Ahh, but he doesnt have to be emarked- he can just accompany it to the battle from reserves- after all, theyre both joining in on the action of being placed in reserves.... right?

Aye!

(That's why I had the wink! Knew you were tlaking about Mordrak *not* being embarked!)

It all comes down to how accompany is defined, really.

/sigh

Wouldn't it be glorious if you could reserve everything in your army, and get them to all DS first turn with no scatter becuase Mordrak accompanies them all! :P lol! (Not a chance that will happen though!).

Now *that* would be a Grey Knight Teleport Assault! ;)

Where I game, we dont take the rules and make a complicated far fetched mockery out of them like you suggest, Grey Mage. Instead, when faced with similar rule problems, we look at sensible possibilities, consider RAI, and then decide how to use the rule in the spirit of the context and definitions provided. It isnt hard to see only two possibilities here that meet the above.

1st, the SR is the only vehicle Mordrak can DS in and use FttF. The other way is using TDA. Now catch this long bomb, according to RAW if Mordrak accompanies any unit deepstriking, they all arrive in turn 1 and do not scatter. That is the definition of accompanies. I agree with Gentlemanloser, it makes for one hell of a Grey Knight Teleport Assault.

So why is it unuseable, Grey Mage? The way the rule is written and how it fits perfectly with the description of the rule, the definition of GW's strangely used word 'accompanies' all fits. Makes perfect sense to me.

Because, your interpretation is- admittedly- RAI. You can go on about what you feel is reasonable all day long- so can I for that matter- but when it comes down to it its just our opinions.

After all, its not just transports- I could see someone using a similar argument to say that Mordrak was accompanying 3 terminator squads into battle. Grammatically hed be correct, and it would fit perfectly with the description for the rule. This uncertainty is the cause of the problem- until we have clarification of what they mean were just making things up to suit.

Edit: My personal opinion, wich also fits perfectly with the way the rules are written, is that its him and the ghosts knights who accompany him.

Archived